Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 05:19 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Yeah , but just for someone to pick you up is wrong IMO.
Totally agree.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Even Ft Wilderness (Disney) let us in to pick up someone.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Use your power. DON'T STAY OR PAY! And tell the owners why.

LEN
Old 05-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #18

Ah, you speak of Candy Hill. It is now on my list of banned campgrounds just because of the lousy policies such as visitors. The manager is a power freak and extremely rude. I used to stop there often but now I will drive out of my way to avoid it. Over priced and over managed.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Ah, you speak of Candy Hill. It is now on my list of banned campgrounds just because of the lousy policies such as visitors. The manager is a power freak and extremely rude. I used to stop there often but now I will drive out of my way to avoid it. Over priced and over managed.
You nailed it on all counts. I won't even go into all the other rules they impose on their paying customers. Unfortunately, they are the only game in town and when we asked to leave, we were told "No Refunds", so here we sit. Lesson learned, we won't be back.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback!
ChiefC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the other hand, we stayed at the KOA in Kissimmee Florida specifically because 3 of my sons with their families (11 people in all) were visiting Disney for 2 weeks. When we made the reservation I asked the manager what the extra charge would be to have them all over for half a day. There was NO CHARGE! The KOA staff brought extra chairs to our site without being asked and loaned us an extra grill. The kids played in the pool and the jungle gym for hours, we cooked out and had a great time. As others have said, I think it is very dependent on individual campground managers/owners whether they charge for guests.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #21

It really seems to be arbitrary. Last week the place we stayed in Auburn, CA had no problems when we had guests. I went to the office to check them in per the rules and the office manager asked how many people (my Brother, his wife and their 3 year old) and if we planned on using any of the facilities ( we did, we wanted to take our niece to the pool). He said no problem and did not charge us a fee.

On our drive home we stayed one night at a "premier resort" in Oregon and were looking forward to using the indoor pool and spa. No luck, the place was packed with kids (I am talking about 20 to 30 kids) and what looked to be a birthday party going on. Not sure if they were all paying guests or visitors but if they were visitors I hope there was a charge. That is a lot of people using the facility!!
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have been charged twice for dinner guests (KOA'S) and it still irritates me. I don't mind paying for all day or all night guests but being charged for 2 or 3 hours is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Yeah, that's just way wrong and what I consider gouging to the utmost.
I've noticed that many RV resorts, (aka: "elitist" RV parks), are taking "gouging" to a whole new level... (charging extra for nearly everything).
Recently, even "not so great RV parks" have been jumping on that bandwagon.

Although we never stay at 'high priced elitist parks", I have found that, (in many states), there is a "per person daily use fee" charged for anyone visiting a state park.

BTW, Texas charges a per person daily fee for the occupants of a RV camping in their state parks.
If you stay only one night you pay for one night of camping PLUS two daily fees per person.....one for the day you check in AND one for the day you leave....(stay 5 nights, pay 6 daily fees, etc.).

Everything IS bigger in TX.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW, Texas charges a [I
per person daily fee[/I] for the occupants of a RV camping in their state parks.
If you stay only one night you pay for one night of camping PLUS two daily fees per person.....one for the day you check in AND one for the day you leave....(stay 5 nights, pay 6 daily fees, etc.).
Buy the SP card for $70, takes care of the daily fees for the RV occupants, and 4ea 1/2 price second day camping fees. good for 12 months from purchase.
The daily fees can add up fast.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I would argue that it is probably against ones civil rights for a campground to charge for having someone drop them off or pick them up. For example, if you have a cab come on the grounds to pick you up, that does not convey to me a guest using campground resources. You pay for the right to stay at a location and I would think that a reasonable standard would include the right to be picked up and dropped off at the site without charge. There is no difference in that than there would be driving your own car on and off the property. You could refuse to pay an extra charge just for having someone pick you up. If they don't like it, they can sue you. Don't think they are gonna bother over $4.00 or even $10.00 I'm sure the police wouldn't be too interested in a $4.00 dispute either.

And if you happen to be mobility impaired, I think you would have a case for discrimination.

Not that I like to whip out lawyers for every little thing but sometimes people get very wrongheaded about what should be paid for and what is just the cost of doing business.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Buy the SP card for $70, takes care of the daily fees for the RV occupants, and 4ea 1/2 price second day camping fees. good for 12 months from purchase.
The daily fees can add up fast.
rgvtexan
That's a great idea for anyone wanting to stay in, (or who lives in), Texas. However, $70 a year is a "little steep" for anyone who only passes through twice a year, (and then only stays for a night each trip).
Believe it or not, some states actually want people to stay in the state and spend their money.
Fortunately, Walmart has parking lots all over Texas... (the TX rest areas aren't bad either).

BTW, if I have a reason to stay longer in Texas, I stay in COE parks...(they are a bargain compared to TX Sate Park campgrounds).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live by the adage , DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL !
In some cases I have to modify it to, IF ASKED, DON'T TELL ! :-)
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground