Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Campground ratings/reviews

We are planning a 2 month trip through Canada and US. One leg involves a trip from Halifax Nova Scotia into US via Houlton, Maine and on through MA, NY, OH, and to Elkhart IN for some fix ups. We are using Woodalls Campground directory and only selecting 4 star or better rated RV parks with big rigs capability. Problem is out of the 4 selected as top quality based on Woodalls ratings, 2 of them have fairly consistant poor reviews in the online reviews that I can access. So who do we believe? We don't mind paying for comfort and security. Is there a reliable source of information out there? Should we follow Woodalls and ignore the others? How do other RV ers deal with this issue?

bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I normally don't pay a lot of attention to the ratings unless they are rated very low by almost all sources. I use the Trailer Life Navigator CD to plan our trips and use their ratings to start my search. If their ratings are below the middle then I usually avoid those campgrounds unless they are the only ones in the area we need to be. I also use Google Earth to look at the campground and the area around the campground to see what the spaces look like, and how easy in and out of the campground.

Not all ratings of campgrounds are IMO accurate. Example: In another thread someone was asking about campgrounds near/in San Antonio, TX. We have been to several in the area and I recommended Admiralty RV Park. We have been there multiple times and really like the campground and the people that run it. Someone questioned the recommendation as there were mutliple people that didn't like the camp. The #1 reason was the spots were not very wide. I agree with that the only problem it caused us was that we had to disconnect the toad in order to swing into the slot... but with a 42 footer I find that an issue at a lot of RV parks.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

I use RVParkReviews.com and try to read more reviews than the ones first presented to get a more comprehensive take from more people. Some people are just natural complainers and if they are the ones who show up first then it doesn't give a fair picture.

I also use google earth a lot to see for myself what the surroundings are. I even use the measuring tool to measure pull through sites to see if we fit. It is pretty accurate. I have eliminated many parks due to short sites. A few of those I even called to verify and was told the sites were longer than they actually are. You can also use the Street View function in some cases to see what the entrances are like, the road in front, etc.

We also use Woodalls as a check to the above methods.

Don
Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I use RVParkReviews.com and try to read more reviews than the ones first presented to get a more comprehensive take from more people. Some people are just natural complainers and if they are the ones who show up first then it doesn't give a fair picture.

I also use google earth a lot to see for myself what the surroundings are. I even use the measuring tool to measure pull through sites to see if we fit. It is pretty accurate. I have eliminated many parks due to short sites. A few of those I even called to verify and was told the sites were longer than they actually are. You can also use the Street View function in some cases to see what the entrances are like, the road in front, etc.

We also use Woodalls as a check to the above methods.

Don
x2 other than we don't use Woodalls, TL or any written material as they are also sponsored by some of the same parks they recommend. I don't mean to imply they don't serve a purpose because they do and are very good. However, www.rvparkreviews.com ratings and blurbs are written by REAL campers/RVers with real time experience. Google Earth is also an excellent source to use as is S&T. There are several other good guides out there, but these are the ones that work best for me.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
We exclusively use RVparksreviews.com. It also has a google satellite feature and a map feature that you can easily switch from one to the other. The thing about RVparkreviews is that its RVers like you that write the review. What I generally do is ignore the best and worst review and have not yet been disappointed in the parks we've stayed.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #6

We check with RVparksreviews.com and also post an inquiry on sites like this to get info on campgrounds or suggestions as to where to stay. We usually prefer full hook up sites.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #7

After reading a lot of reviews on campgrounds, I came to the conclusion that a lot of campers like to complain about petty things that dont matter that much. One guy was complaining about the bathrooms when his profile said he was in a class A MH. Excuse me, but doesnt he have a crapper on board?

If a campground has nothing but negative reviews, then I would avoid it. When I get to a site, I close the blinds and ignore everything else. If you have time to complain about the campground landscaping, then you have too much time on your hands.

Lets face it, RV Parks are nothing more than a parking lot with plugs and a drain. Dont compare them to a 4 star resort.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #8

Having just did the Maritime trip this past summer I can give you a couple of C/G suggestions.
Check "My Brothers Place" in Houlton, Maine. It is a great place to stop for an overnight. Very quiet, pull through sites, all level grass. We would definitly stay there again. My Brothers Place Campground Houlton Maine
It is also the last place to fill up with fuel prior to crossing into Canada. Make sure you do that.
In Halifax we stayed at the Halifax West KOA. This place is way overrated. Sites are gravel, not very level, very close together. The awning on the unit next to us was within about 6 inches of the side of our MH. Water pressure was 20 psi. We would not stay there again.
If you go to Cape Brenton look at this park:North Sydney Cabot Trail KOA. One of the best we were in for a view, friendly hosts. Sites were gravel, but level. Deer and grouse came right up to the door. We would go back to this one just for the view alone. It is close to the Cabot Trail.
Gas was expensive, at $4.98 a gallon, diesel was a little less. Food in the grocery stores is also a good bit more than here in the US. Our normal box of cereal was $1.50 more than usual as an example.
If you have pets you will need their health certificate.
Also if you go over to PEI, they don't charge you going over, but get you coming back.
If you would like any more info on our trip just let me know. Enjoy your trip.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #9

Thanks everybody. We will check all sources listed. Roger and Eileen if you are ever in the Halifax area again check out Woodhaven Campground. We stay there every year when visiting our daughter who lives in the area. Some of the pull through sites are narrower than we would like but we get in OK. We will definitely try the My Brothers Place in Houlton as it is ther right distance for us after a day's driving from Halifax area.

Bill
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #10

Bill,

Another option just outside of Bangor is the Pumpkin Patch RV park. Good location for making a day trip to Acadia NP on the coast. There is also a halfway decent golf course (for northern ME) very close by. They took Passport America at the time, not sure if they still do:

RV Park Reviews :: Bangor, Maine ( ME ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Last time I picked up our Woodall's directory, it was to rip pages out of it to start the fire at a Bounder Rally. Its rvparkreviews for us, too many times the Woodall's or Trailerlife have been just too far off the mark to trust. They also always downplay ALL public CGs, which turn out to have been some of the best places we have ever stayed. Speaking of starting fires, we were further south in ME at the Homestead by the River. Not too far from Old Orchard Beach:

RV Park Reviews :: Biddeford, Maine ( ME ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Bob
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

We select based on the campground proximity to what we are going to see. I prefer KOA because of the relative standards between parks. We also use Woodalls. On our trip in that area 2 years ago we found lack of 50 amps to be a concern. But once you close the door of the coach you have the comfort locked. In some parks I was resetting the campground breaker multiple times. Border crossings are becoming a pain. Make sure you follow the food and booze rules. I have had multiple bad crossings after years of no problems.