Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Campground Report: Gunter Hill, Montgomery AL

What follows is an excerpt from the campground report on my blog.

I felt like I was in something of a paradise at this park, surrounded by tall trees sporting their lush, new, verdant spring finery; birds singing all around, camped on a lake shore; fairly peaceful and quiet, warm moist air... ahhhh. As far as campgrounds go this was my kind of place, at my time of year. Even the warm rain was a joyous experience. Bear in mind, my arrival here may have been at the optimum time of year when spring had sprung and was in full swing, the weather warm and muggy but not yet oppressive as heat and humidity can become. Just prior to my arrival here I had been traveling through parts of the country where the arrival of spring was little more than hinted at by a few flowering trees and the tiny tips of new leaves that were just beginning to timidly show themselves in the trees. Before that I'd been 8 weeks in the hot, dry desert which, don't get me wrong, was very beautiful in it's own way but in great contrast to the lush green of Gunter Hill. So, in arriving here I felt as if I'd, well, arrived... in a place something idyllic. I wanted to stay forever.

If you're interested the full report with photos is here. If you like the blog sign up for free email notices to be notified when I make new posts. You'll find campground and boondocking reports, product reports, interview, great photography and more. It's all free.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I always enjoy your campground reviews and photography. I joined your blog a few months ago and enjoy the full updates. Thanks...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

I found Gunter Hill last year and we loved it. We had only one week reserved, but we ended up staying for three weeks. We will be there again in a few weeks.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I found Gunter Hill last year and we loved it. We had only one week reserved, but we ended up staying for three weeks. We will be there again in a few weeks.
Did you leave the campground and explore the surrounding area? Do you know much about it?
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
Did you leave the campground and explore the surrounding area? Do you know much about it?
Not really. We just did a lot of walking, bike riding and enjoying the view. We saw deer on most of our bike rides.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

We spent 4 weeks total (2 two week intervals) at Gunter Hill this past winter. We had a very nice pull through with trees near by but roof top satellite friendly. This is a nice place to spend time. The price with Access Pass was $12 per night with full hook ups. There is a laundry located in one of the bath houses, Maxwell AFB is nearby and just about any kind of shopping can be found in Prattville. We will be making reservation for next winter.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Pez

Monaco Owners Club
RussOn The Road, As always I enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks for the info on Gunter Hill. Looking at map, photographs and reviews of Gunter Hill it is difficult to determine what sites are roof top satellite friendly. Do you have any info on satellite friendly sites?
Do not mean to hijack your thread but a question for jpharley. Will you share what pull through site you were in that was roof top satellite friendly at Gunter Hill? Thanks
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

I know sites 33 and 30 are satellite friendly. There are more, but I need to find my campground map to identify them. Is your satellite roof mounted or do you have a tripod. If you have a tripod there are a lot of options.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
Pez

Monaco Owners Club
reubenray, Thanks for the quick response and info. That should work. Now I have 2 sites to work with when I make reservations. We are in that area every 3 or 4years visiting relatives and friends. We stay at the RV Park on Maxwell AFB. Can't figure out why we never checked Gunter Hill out.
I have a roof top satellite....Thanks
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #10

In my opinion, Gunter Hill is a much better campground than the AFB and with one of the Access Passes, you certainly cannot beat the price.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
reubenray, Thanks for the quick response and info. That should work. Now I have 2 sites to work with when I make reservations. We are in that area every 3 or 4years visiting relatives and friends. We stay at the RV Park on Maxwell AFB. Can't figure out why we never checked Gunter Hill out.
I have a roof top satellite....Thanks
We will be there in two week if that will help you. I spent a lot of time last year walking with my compass checking everything. But I cannot find my map. I need to start putting this info on my laptop instead.

Tags
campground