Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

Campground Report: Peaks of Otter, Blue Ridge Parkway, VA

(My full report is too much to post here so I'm posing an excerpt. Find the complete report with photos, many other campground and boondocking reports, product user reports, interviews and more on my free blog. Look for the Follow Russ text entry field and type in your email address to receive free email notices when I make new posts.)

To my absolute delight and childlike glee I saw something as I strolled around Abbott Lake by the nearby Peaks of Otter Lodge that I can't recall seeing since I was a child: fireflies! If you haven't ever seen them these wonderful little bugs carry their own miniature strobe lights around with them and flash them periodically as they fly around in the evenings. As children we used to catch them and put them in glass jars and marvel at their ability to light themselves up, but by the time I was a teen they were no longer to be found in the neighborhood where I grew up. As I walked back to the campground from the lodge one evening I saw a tiny little pinprick of light in the near distance. Then another, and another, and as I turned to look around I saw dozens of periodic flashes all around me, maybe hundreds. I was beside myself with joy. A tear came to my eyes as I called out aloud "Hello fireflies! Hello to all of you. I'm so very happy to see you, each and every one!" They made the child in me so happy. It's good to know they're still around in places.

Full Report HERE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #2

Wonderful!!! Your reports are informative, entertaining, and inspirational. I love the composition and exposure of your images. Well done!

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (almost finished..we saw pics !!), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar

Old 07-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

Interesting report. Thanks! I'm curious how you find the parkway in your camper. It's in the same size range as ours and I find the idea of running it with the MH and maybe a towed interesting.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Wonderful!!! Your reports are informative, entertaining, and inspirational. I love the composition and exposure of your images. Well done!

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (almost finished..we saw pics !!), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
That's high praise, thanks I put a lot of effort into my reports. I hope you'll sign up, use my Amazon links when you can, and spread the word!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Interesting report. Thanks! I'm curious how you find the parkway in your camper. It's in the same size range as ours and I find the idea of running it with the MH and maybe a towed interesting.
The BRP is open to tour busses and large RVs. That said, there are tunnels in places that some rigs cannot clear. I could not drive something like 30 miles of the BRP at the southern end because of 3 tunnels I couldn't fit through. Here's a link to tunnel clearances and where they are located:
Tunnel Clearances - Blue Ridge Parkway

The campgrounds are older and roads within as well as the sites are as a result a bit on the tight side from an RVer's point of view. If you Google around a little bit think you will find the BRP doable with your setup.

The photo is Linville Falls which is a little bit of a hike from a BRP campground of the same name. I don't remember if I've posted a report on that campground or not, but the ones I stayed at along the BRP were similar in terms of the size of campsites, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	100536  

Tags
campground