Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #1

Campground reservation

Hi there, i´m Walter.

I am new to the forum and I'm from Germany. My wife and I would travel from early November to late January with an RV Florida. So far, we've never been to Florida. Have we to book the campgrounds before, or can we always get a parking space? Is there enough free/available?

Thanks.

Walter
Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

I would at least call ahead if you don't want to make reservations in advanced. At certain times of the year and certain places are hard to get without reservations.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #3

Hi Walter:

As a former travel agent, I recommend booking ahead. Florida is a "winter" destination for folks from the Atlantic side of the USA. I'm sure the better RV will fill up fast so it is best to get your reservations taken care of as soon as possible. Good luck
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

Many thanks.

@ Sylvia: Then you probably know from Florida.
And what are the best places? We want to travel and stay in each case 1 to 2 weeks in one place.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
All of the Florida state campgrounds are reserved here Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica The ones on the ocean/gulf or most any nice water are usually booked way ahead of time.

How crowded depends of course on location. Inland and not far south is a better bet. I depends on what you want. Here is a helpful site to look by city RV Park Reviews :: Florida
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Hi there, i´m Walter.

I am new to the forum and I'm from Germany. My wife and I would travel from early November to late January with an RV Florida. So far, we've never been to Florida. Have we to book the campgrounds before, or can we always get a parking space? Is there enough free/available?

Thanks.

Walter
Winter in Florida is a bad time to get into many of the more popular campgrounds because so many people from the North spend many months in Florida and probably already have their reservation. You may have to dry camp in several locations (no hookup, water, electric, etc.). Check this site for possible campgrounds etc. Allstays | Campgrounds | RV Parks and google RV free stays or something like that. Several places allow RVs to stay a night or two in their parking lots but you can't stay for weeks. Other people on this site may give you more suggestions. Welcome and good luck in your travels.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Many thanks.

@ Sylvia: Then you probably know from Florida.
And what are the best places? We want to travel and stay in each case 1 to 2 weeks in one place.
Thank you for the vote of confidence but it has been more than 6 years since I had my Travel Agent License. Even then, I specialized in Flights, hotels, and rental cars and travel insurance.

I would use the link provided above to make your reservations through the Florida State park reservation system. (be sure to print out your confirmations) Be sure to buy the travel insurance when you book your flights. You never really know what disaster can happen and mess up your entire trip.... like the little old lady that walked from her door to the taxi on the way to the airport and got attacked by the neighbor's Doberman Pincher. Luckily, she had the insurance and was able to recoup her monies.
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #8

Thank you. The links are very helpful.

We're Florida newbies and want to travel from early December to late January. On the one hand we want to see many, of course. On the other hand, we want to find good places where we can remain good and cozy, not to rush and get to know nice people.

Our plans are about: First, we will go south to Key-West, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Gainesville, Ocala.

Maybe someone of you can recommend a better idea or campgrounds. As I said, we are newbies...

And we look forward to America. We have already visited some cities in the U.S., including New York, Washington, Las Vegas, but never with the RV.

Thank you.

Walter
Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post
Thank you for the vote of confidence but it has been more than 6 years since I had my Travel Agent License. Even then, I specialized in Flights, hotels, and rental cars and travel insurance.

I would use the link provided above to make your reservations through the Florida State park reservation system. (be sure to print out your confirmations) Be sure to buy the travel insurance when you book your flights. You never really know what disaster can happen and mess up your entire trip.... like the little old lady that walked from her door to the taxi on the way to the airport and got attacked by the neighbor's Doberman Pincher. Luckily, she had the insurance and was able to recoup her monies.
Syliva Hello, thank you.

We live in Germany and have been more than 10 years of travel experience with the RV in Western Europe, such as Austria, Italy, Spain, France, Portugal ...

For our U.S. trip, we (my wife 53 and I 59)have a health insurance for USA. And we are a member of the Good Sam Club

The last three weeks in November, we will be in Seffers at Lazydays, because we assume there a rv.

So we have some time to make first experiences with the RVing and Florida.

Walter
Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Thank you. The links are very helpful.
Our plans are about: First, we will go south to Key-West,
Walter, the Keys are our winter home. January-February get very crowded there. Stock Island is as close to Key West as you can get to camp, only 5 miles away and they warn people not to try to drive a large RV into old town Key West because the streets are very narrow and it is difficult to negotiate a turn.

Key West Campground, Key West Camping, Key West RV Park and Tent camping. Key West,FL camping, koa camping and Camping in Key West is where we camped. It is pricey but location says it all. You can also try
RV Camping, RV Resort Parks, RV Rentals and Campground Ratings - Woodalls enter Florida and Key West. It will give you besides boyds, Bluewater- private owned lots subleased, real pricey but beatiful, Lazy Lakes-drove through there once, not much going on and not on the ocean. KOA Sugarloaf busy, tight sights lots of kids running around but good location and they had a shuttle bus to KW. Venture out- also private owned lots, we have never been in there.

Where we stay it is 47 miles from KW, about an hour drive so we will go once or twice a year for the day. KW is an amazing thing to see.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
Suggest you not limit yourself to Florida. (South) Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana are all great for winter travel and camping without the bugs. The northern portions - not so much fun.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #12

Hi Mark and Nancy,

because of your recommendation, we booked "Body's" dated 17.12.2012 for 3 weeks ...

Thanks a lot.

Ursula and Walter

Tags
campground