Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Depending upon the park, and the number and types of animals that frequent the campgrounds, you may find that everything has to be stored inside.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #16

Buddy of mine used to do seasonal law enforcement for the National Park Service in the '80's & '90's. His slant on it was that visitors tend to feel they are on vacation from crime, and that those so inclined know it & take advantage of it. I could share stories that would horrify you about Yosemite & Lake Mead. Felonies. Good to hear that most of you have avoided problems. I hope to avoid them by practicing 'safe camping'.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the great advice!! I guess vigilance is in order as well as
a couple of cable ties.

Dave C
dbdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #18

In my 9 years of camping, I only ever had one incident of crime: I left a cheap cooler with some cold beer outside the trailer overnight and it was gone in the morning. This was in Oklahoma at a COE park that locked the gates at night- meaning, of course, that the thieves were already in the campground. I have never locked or had stolen anything else, including bikes (cheap ones) and camping chairs. I put my cold beer cooler inside my trailer or inside the back seat of my pick-up at night now and have no problems.
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
In my 9 years of camping, I only ever had one incident of crime: I left a cheap cooler with some cold beer outside the trailer overnight and it was gone in the morning. This was in Oklahoma at a COE park that locked the gates at night- meaning, of course, that the thieves were already in the campground. I have never locked or had stolen anything else, including bikes (cheap ones) and camping chairs. I put my cold beer cooler inside my trailer or inside the back seat of my pick-up at night now and have no problems.
Well bless their hearts. They done run outta beer and were locked in... I bet they were going to replace it eventually.

The never. Take a mans beer. Lol.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreamers View Post
Hi all - We'll be on the road by next summer. New questions keep coming up. Here is my scenario...

We've just pulled into a national/state park and have set up a number
of outdoor items. Loungers, grill, table stuff, inflatable canoe, lantern, etc. We'll be there for 3 or 4 days. Question: Do you have a plan for securing these kinds of items overnight? What about those times when you may be out and about for the better part of a day?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DC

Here's my Christmas carol for this year:
In my limited experience, your more likely to have a storm come up and blow your things away and sling your awning over the roof than have something stolen or vandalized.

We do lock the bike to the tow hitch in parks and to the hitch on the car rack. And - I have a 25' cable and lock in case I need to take prisoners.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:35 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've been full timing for 6 years, prefer staying at state parks and COE's. We don't leave obvious high dollar items like radios or computers out in view, but have never had anything taken from our campsite, including bikes, chairs, grills or coolers. Only problems we 've ever heard about anywhere we've stayed in with those high dollar coolers, like YETI's. We have a very nice BBQ grill and fairly expensive camp stove, we cover it with a tarp to protect it from the elements more than anything, that might be a deterrent to most. We've left our 27 gal tote behind the unit as well as bikes (not locked)...nothing gone yet.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
At night we run a cable thru the grill sitting on the picnic table, thru the frame of the picnic table and then thru the frames of our folding bikes. The cooler goes inside, chairs etc. are not secured. No sense temping anyone.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
More of the same - never had an issue. I lock my bikes (expensive) and put away valuables (to include tools, electronic gadgets, and my favorite insulated beverage container). I do have locks on my tow bar and Jeep gas cap (need to get locking caps for the coach).

Btw; I will add that I think people WAY over think the whole "security" thing. Maybe there are places where it is necessary but where I stay (all over the west), it is simply not an issue.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Again... Great input! Thanks everyone for taking the time to tell of your experience. The question is completely answered!!
dbdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Generally I store everything at night - I've been in a couple of places where the wind came up at night and blew things around. It doesn't take very long to put things back in the basement. The only things I remember leaving out are lawn chairs and I fold them and push them under the RV.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
This was in Oklahoma at a COE park that locked the gates at night- meaning, of course, that the thieves were already in the campground.
So, they couldn't just go under or over the gate and get in?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground