Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #1

The DW and I are about to take the plunge into RVing with the purchase of a 45' class A motorhome. We've traveled with my parents a bit in their class C MH and have stayed in a couple of campgrounds and several Walmart parking lots. My question is, based on your experience traveling around the country, what should we expect most campgrounds to be like? Are most like parking lots with power/water hookups or will we find many with trees and scenery. We want to travel the country and see natural beauty, but will we have to see that in the toad and return to a tenement in the evening? I realize the word "tenement" is a bit harsh, but I want to convey my worst fear. I've tent camped in one state park in FL that was beautiful, right by the beach with trees (and lots of raccoons ), but I've also seen a lot of campgrounds in FL that were on a major highway and were nothing more than a parking lot.

I guess I'm dreaming of campgrounds with lots of trees, lakes and streams. Do they exist or am I in for a rude awakening? Thanks!

2009 Essex 4508
TheJazzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #2

The DW and I are about to take the plunge into RVing with the purchase of a 45' class A motorhome. We've traveled with my parents a bit in their class C MH and have stayed in a couple of campgrounds and several Walmart parking lots. My question is, based on your experience traveling around the country, what should we expect most campgrounds to be like? Are most like parking lots with power/water hookups or will we find many with trees and scenery. We want to travel the country and see natural beauty, but will we have to see that in the toad and return to a tenement in the evening? I realize the word "tenement" is a bit harsh, but I want to convey my worst fear. I've tent camped in one state park in FL that was beautiful, right by the beach with trees (and lots of raccoons ), but I've also seen a lot of campgrounds in FL that were on a major highway and were nothing more than a parking lot.

I guess I'm dreaming of campgrounds with lots of trees, lakes and streams. Do they exist or am I in for a rude awakening? Thanks!

2009 Essex 4508
Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
It's really up to you. You'll find everything from 5-star resorts to wilderness campgrounds with minimal/no facilities (boondocking or dry camping). Every once in awhile you'll find one like one of our favorites - Davis Mountains State Park outside Fort Davis, Texas. The campground in this magnificent park has full hookups, including 50 amp service and cable TV, yet the mule deer and other wildlife wander right up to your site.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Hi Jazz Man,

I have sent you a PM.
TaxedtoDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
With a 45-footer Randy, you are plunging into RVing with BOTH feet!

I have found that as my motor home has grown by 11 feet (from a 29 foot Class C to a 40 foot pusher), I can't get to all the serene places without bringing a toad.

Many state park and national park campgrounds can't hold a 40 footer never mind your 45-foot 'tenement'. For Shenandoah NP, you have to be careful about seeing what sites can accomodate a big MH. They have some 100-foot pull throughs but navagating the trees when pulling out can be tricky. This summer, Yellowstone Fishing Bridge campground just fit my 40 footer. Circus Circus in Vegas is that parking lot with hookups that you sound like you want to avoid. Prizer Point in western Kentucky has the lake but also has a lot of rental cabins to make the campground profitable.

I still get my fix on peaceful tent camping with my son's on Boy Scout trips (like this coming weekend). There are many beautiful campgrounds out there, but with a large RV, access may sometimes be limited.

But STILL take the plunge - it's a great lifestyle and you won't get seasick!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
RVThere is right! 45 feet is a big rig and you will find it is really hard to get into some CG and parks. Many state parks (at least here in Ga) were built when RV were something like the Shasta -16 to 18 feet long. We have found when we went from 36 to 40 feet, we cannot get into sites in some of the state parks we used to get in.
However, there are plenty of places you CAN get into, so have a great time.
You can always do like I have seen many of the high dollar coaches (Prevost etc) do - park in the WalMart or FlyingJ.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVThere:
Many state park and national park campgrounds can't hold a 40 footer... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've been headed down the 45 footer path based on recommendations from... well, an RV salesman. I was asking for his advice on a motorhome that would be relatively easy to sell in a few years. His recommendation was, "45',3 or 4 slides,tag axle,no super dark or light cabinets". He said that anything less than 45' just wasn't selling. I also figured that when considering 40' vs. 45', what's another 5 feet? But not being able to get into good state and national parks could put a kink in my plans.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But STILL take the plunge - it's a great lifestyle and you won't get seasick! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a lifetime supply of dramamine. It will also be a luxury to have a rig with brakes. Many people new to boating don't realize that a 27,000 lb sailboat can be difficult to stop. And, many find out the hard way.

2009 Essex 4508
Old 10-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Let us know what else that salesman's crystal ball says!!! (LOL) I don't think there's any RV that is going to be easy to unload (IMHO).

If you're looking to unload the coach in a few years, you may want to look into a used one. Otherwise you're going to get hit with a loss as the amount you owe may be higher than what the coach is selling for. (speaking from personal experience!)

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Randy,
30 years ago we started with a 26' Winnebago Brave. We have grown (or groan) into the signature coach. We do not miss the rustic CGs we used to go to. Almost all the time it matters not where you camp. You'll need a toad to get to what you want to see/do. For me, this item will never be on my list of things to worry about. Buy the floorplan that best suits your needs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Randy

From our short 3 years of RV'ing experience I can tell you that RV parks are as varied in design as you can imagine. We have been in parks where we thought we were in the middle of a forest and we have been in parks that are no more than paved (or unpaved) parking lots. Some have tons of room and some have no room at all. Some parks offer lots of amenities and activities and some offer nothing. Some are way over priced and some are very inexpensive.

We use the campground reviews on this web site and also RV Park Reviews. You have to read the reviews as one rates a park at 1 and another rates it a 10. It all depends on ones point of view.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
jfb

Join Good Sam and get their annual 1,500 page catalog on rated CG's.

Woodalls is also good.

There's a LOT of good prospects out there. Don't get discouraged!!
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #12

My crystal ball says "I wish I were in the 5 to 10 year old ultra-luxury buying mode right now."

Form what I'm seeing on the web - you can steal some lightly used Marathons, Country Coaches, and Newells these days!

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #13

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

i have gone from 25 ft to 36 ft to 43 ft motorhomes. A 43 ft does not fit eveywhere, but my toad will get me there.
I use the trailer life campground as a guide and individual recommendations. Your choice of a motorhome should be based on your planned use and your personal needs. Buy what you want and fits your needs...I have a 43 footer and no regets...We have always found a way to go where we want.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #14

Well Randy, another of those questions you will get across the board answers. Although we like places with full hookups, we also appreciate being alone with nature. We specifically opted to stay at the 40' length to give ourselves the best (in our minds only) compromise between having enough space and maintaining the ability to park anywhere.

We have been all along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah NP and although a lot of spots too small for us, there were many we fit into. Early this year we took the Natchez Trace south and stayed in every one of the free NP campgrounds along the way. We always found a spot that would accommodate our motor & tow car. Sometimes just barely, but we never had to drive on.

I have known people with 43 & 45 ft motor homes that say they same sort of thing although they might have been to different spots. I think you need to be prepared to drive the car into see places that might be too tight.

Look at what you want to do, where you plan to travel, and how you live and what fits into that envelope. If you opt for shorter, you won't get everything you can get with longer, but we have met people that are full time traveling and seeing this continent in class B vans and pop-up tent/trailers and were happy with their choice and delighted at their opportunities.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote