Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #15

Level site, up to date electrical post, pets accepted, well lighted at night, easy in and out, cable and full service 50 amp and 30 amp., friendly staff, reasonble rates.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #16

Sites far enough apart/wide enough for slides and awnings
Good quality electrical power
Good quality water
If roads are gravel, some treatment to keep the dust down
Pets accepted - doggy off-leash play area a big bonus
Reasonably priced ($30 for a nice CG)

We find a lot of older resorts have not updated for slide-outs. One we stayed at in Leavenworth last month had sites so close together that, between our LR slide and next door's awning there was only about 4 feet clearance.

The best two CGs we've stayed at in Washington are Charbonneau SP, between Richland and Walla Walla and Beebe Bridge County Park just east of Lake Chelan. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to Charbonneau this year.

At Beebe Bridge a couple of weeks ago, they were already on off-season rates. We got a pull-through. 30A power, water and sewer hook-ups for $12 a night (senior rate). What a difference to the one in Leavenworth, where it was $40 for a back-out site all on gravel and out of range for the wi-fi. It had been very dry for several weeks and the dust was a real problem, plus there was very little shade and it got to 116F the second day!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
The responses are good.. I hope some park owners read them.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low hanging tree branches and Speed bumps!
There are several local campgrounds that I will not go back to because they don't trim their tress back enough.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #19

My first priority is price followed by the over all look of the place. I always check reviews before I make a selection for the night. If it looks like the TT's and 5'ers are perminently rusted in place, I don't even stop. I also like steady and strong 50 amp service. Never use the hot tub or pool if there is one. My body is not bathing suit ready. The one thing that I will never do again is stay at a place that is not staffed. Thats the place where a chalk board tells you to stick you money in a slot and pick a place. They never even say thank you on the board. I'm not a big fan of mud. While I've like some and not liked others I still find a day of camping in a not so nice place is still better than laying around the house doing nothing.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
If it looks like the TT's and 5'ers are perminently rusted in place, I don't even stop..
Amen
Old 10-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #21

I noticed that I did not say what I liked the most about the campgrounds. Friendly and knowledgable staff or owners. I'll give 2 examples. While in Yellowstone this year my refrig broke and I had to go to Cody for repairs. I stayed at the Ponderosa and explained my problem to the desk staff. They recommended a repair man who responded to my site diagnosed the problem, sent a relative to Billings Mt for the part and had the refrig working in 2 days. The staff then advised me to attend the Indian POW WOW that was happening the next day. That turned out to be one of the high lights of my 2 month trip. I also had the chance to stay at the Yellowstone Edge campground in Emigrant Montana. The owner urged me to go to the 4th of July rodeo in Livingston and got us the tickets to the grandstands. In the afternoon they put on a Fajita social for all the guests. That was one of the few times in my tripthat I found the seasonal guests to be outgoing. Nightly camp fires allowed people to mingle and talk about the days events. That day was also one of the high lights of the trip. In both places the facilities were spotless. You don't need rides for the kids or olympic pools but what ever you have should look like you care about your place.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #22

I would say a great park for example is Frankenmuth Jellystone. That is a great place. Very clean and kept up well. We love everything about it, but would eliminate everyother site to give you more space between one another. If all parks were just like that with bigger sites that would be great!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A good example of a durn-near perfect campground for us would be Clear Springs COE campground on Wright Patman Lake, near Texarkana.

Gorgeous lake views from our campsite, plenty of trees to cut the heat, extremely wide separation between campsites, good paved roads and big concrete sites, wide enough to park the toad beside or in front, easy back-in sites and some pull-throughs. Stable 50 amp service even though the park was getting really full for a holiday weekend.

We had great Verizon service for our Internet and phones, no idea how hard it would be to get a TV satellite signal (probably tricky but not impossible with the trees).

$9 bucks or something ridiculous with our Golden Age card.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I carry one of these for those pesky low branches.
Attached Images

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #25

Not a good plan in my state. Cutting of branches on public lands gets you a fine. Private property gets jail + fine.

They take trees pretty seriously around here.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Big dislike: Charging extra for small children. We went to a campground that charged $5.00 per child, per night. We had our 3 grandsons, age 4,7 & 8 with us. So it cost us $45.00 per night for no cable, no internet, no pool, no nothing.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I agree with most everything that others have noted.
But, my wife said that if she is going to stay at a CG longer than 1 night, then she wants a place that has something going for it, or at least a friendly, knowledgeable staff. We stayed at one fairly large CG that was family owned and only the man was friendly. The others in the family acted like you were bothering them if you asked about something.
Some CGs are just a big parking lot with hookups, and no character. And, they say that they have WiFi when it barely works, and when it does, it makes dial-up seem like high speed by comparison.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #28

Charging extra for anything other than the site is big peeve for me, especially charging more for "full hookups" e.g - dump. Should just be a fee for 30 vs 50 amp and that's that. My toad, my kid, my dog, really don't use $5/10/15 more "services" than me, my wife, and my rig.

Another thing that will keep me from making a reservation is the "land of NO". When I read the park rules online and there's half a page or more of "NO" I figure they don't need my money.

Trimmed trees, properly radiused turns, etc are big.

Don't understand all the comments about not caring about the restrooms. We use the campground showers and restrooms because it puts less wear and tear on our coach than using our own stuff, the campground shower stalls are bigger, and I don't have to dump as much. Besides, clean facilities are an indication of how much quality and pride the owners take in their place. Crappy bathrooms usually mean a crappy place overall - why would you want CG owners to think it's OK to let those areas slide just because you have plenty of space in your rig or some fear of cooties?

Oh yeah - having the electrical, water, and sewer placed in such a way that when I'm on the level part of the site I can actually reach the hookups....