Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #1

Campgrounds in North Ga.

Hello all,
we are planning a trip to North Ga. in the fall to enjoy the weather and the leaf changes. Please recommend your favorite campgrounds and the timeframe that would be best. We we like to attend festivals, walk and ride our bikes.
Daylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Although we have never used one north of I85, we have enjoyed many Georgia State Parks around the rest of the state and would not hesitate to use one in the north area.

Georgia State Parks - Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Highly recommend River Vista CG in Dillard Ga.

Check it out at http://campgroundreviews.com
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Bob & Shirlene,

I also second Wizard's recommendation for River Vista in Dillard,GA.! Was there for a rally last Oct 7 -12 and it was great and a very nice place! Go to Dillard house to eat you won't be sorry one bit! Also drove over to Highlands, NC a nice town and some nice waterfalls! It's hard to judge peak leaf time! I could notice the change while I was there! Last year I think the week after we were there would have been nicer as far as the leaf's go! Hope this helps some, and enjoy where ever you end up!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Leisure Acres in Cleveland, very nice park.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #6

There are several State Parks in the N GA mountains. Check out the map on the State Park site for all of them... Black Mountain State Park in Mountain City is nice but small, Tallulah Gorge is also nice. Moccasin Creek tends to stay full as it's an easy in/out right on the road but the road isn't terribly busy. Our fav for the Clayton GA area is Rabun Beach/Chattahoochee NF From Clayton... follow the directions for Moccasin Creek SP and go past it until you reach the little convenience store on the corner of Burton Dam Road... turn onto Burton Dam Rd... Campground is on the left across from the lake access area.

We used to live in the area (Franklin NC for decades and worked installing and selling cabinets, remodeling houses for years in the surrounding area of Highlands NC Sky Valley GA, Clayton GA, Salem SC)... my opinion of River Vista isn't all that high. But that could be because to me it's still sitting in a cabbage patch. The State Parks put that place to shame. There are better places to eat than the Dillard House... Let's just say, if you knew what goes on in the kitchen... of course you may not mind eating food that has already been put out in a bowl on the table for a previous customer. The Country Cupboard Cafe just north of the Dillard House on the same side of the road (between the bank and the hardware store) is a much better choice. For Highlands, go to Rib Country (one of the two worker friendly places... decent BBQ at decent prices). Cash's at the Whistlestop Antique Mall in Franklin has the best BBQ in the area (lunch only when we left).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnshirlene View Post
Hello all,
we are planning a trip to North Ga. in the fall to enjoy the weather and the leaf changes. Please recommend your favorite campgrounds and the timeframe that would be best. We we like to attend festivals, walk and ride our bikes.
I like Cloudland Canyon SP (NW Ga. just south of Lookout Mtn, TN) in the fall. The waterfalls are great and the canyon views are outstanding.

For fall leaf color changes I refer to the Weather Channel and be ready to go. The color doesn't last that long. You can also call the State Park that you will be visiting for information on the fall leaf colors.
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #8

we are going to hiwassee oct 8-16 for the ga. mountain fair and foliage, so much to see and do in this areas, quaint shops, waterfalls, helen, cleveland, dahlognea with the gold museum, water tubing..the fair is really nice with crafts and many of the older entertainers such as crystal gayle, janie frickie, perscy sledge,marty stuart and others and the ga. official fiddlers convention. we are staying at riverbend cg right on the hiwasse river, there is unicoi state park cg in helen. we just love the area, there is the scienic railway and just beautiful countryside.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #9

Wow, thanks to everyone that gave recommendations, I will take a look at all of the places mentioned.
Daylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Note of caution concering Black Mountain SP Drive your toad up before you even consider the MH. This place is not for just any size rig. VERY steep and narrow road up to the CG. No way I would even consider trying to take my coach up that road.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Note of caution concering Black Mountain SP Drive your toad up before you even consider the MH. This place is not for just any size rig. VERY steep and narrow road up to the CG. No way I would even consider trying to take my coach up that road.
I guess it would be a problem for some folks. I learned to drive on NC Hwy 64 between Highlands and Buck Creek Rd in Franklin. I'm one of those drivers who drove the that section of road so much that I would go up doing 60mph and come down on "gears" (the goal was to touch the brake as little as possible)... It was fun. So, I would take a big coach up to Black Mountain SP and think nothing of it.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I second Cloudland Canyon SP. We've been there twice, both in the summer, but think it's great. When you say North GA, everyone thinks about the east side of the state, but the west side of the state seems less crowded and is just as beautiful. Also at Cloudland Canyon you can head out of the park to eat at the Canyon Grill, one of the best places I've ever eaten.

Waterfall #3 - Lower by Curb Crusher, on Flickr
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #13

We visit Helen frequently and love staying at Unicoi State park. Anna Ruby falls is fabulous and the campground is excellent