Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Campgrounds in Outer Banks NC

My wife and I are considering a trip to the Outer Banks of NC in a couple of months. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions about campgrounds, or things to see and do. Of course, we know there is Kitty Hawk and Mateo, but hopefully there's much more there to see than that.

Trip plan is late June in 31' motorhome.

Assistance if appreciated.
bwaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The lighthouses at Hatteras and Okracoke are worth seeing. Nice little spot near Avon called the Froggy Dog was there when we were. FANTASTIC BURGERS! I'll have to look back through the travel log to see which campground we stayed at but the Hatteras KOA rings a bell, but may have been Ocean Waves. It was ocean side, roomy, and clean. I know it was near the Avon pier, but was not the campground located there. Of course there is always great fishing along the Outer Banks either by boat, pier, or shore. The outdoor drama "The Lost Colony" in Manteo is a must see. There is usually an art exibition going on in the village showing off local artist. We had a grand time, but the surf is rough, and the water was a little cool till mid to late summer.
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our daughter lives on the Outer Banks, so we visit frequently. Our campground choice is Ocean Waves on Hatteras Island. Ocean Waves Campground

There are two other campgrounds very close by, but we find both to be too large, and very expensive.

What to do, besides the obvious of enjoying the ocean, just over the dunes and the idea that your are miles out in the ocean:

Jockey Ridge State Park. Jockey's Ridge State Park

Lost Colony. The Lost Colony

Lighthouses. Outer Banks Lighthouses Guide

Take the free Ferry to Ocracoke Island. The Official Travel & Tourism Site for Ocracoke, North Carolina

There is more, but that's a start.

Enjoy your visit. We are going to be there in early June.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

We traveled the outer banks 2 years ago. We have friends that have a beach house in Emerald isle. So we worked our way north via the ferry systems. Make sure you take the time to enjoy Ocracoke. Very neat little island. From there we used another ferry to Hatteras island. We did stay at Hatteras KOA. Not by choice. We wanted to stay at ocean waves but it books up extremely fast. I'm not saying the KOA wasn't nice, but it was very expensive. I will say it was all new since they had to rebuild it after the hurricane. We have a 38' MH with tow car and had no problems maneuvering anywhere...even on the ferries. This probably was one of the most relaxing vacations we have taken in quite sometime. Sorry for rambling!! Lol. Manteo is a beautiful town. We took the kids there and we were able to go out on a pirate adventure. Very interactive. Kids loved it. We spent most of the afternoon there. I will say this as well....Hatteras island is split. The northern half is very touristy(as expected) and the southern half is laid back and relaxed. Just my take on it. We stayed In rodanthe for 5 days and found it was centrally located for all of our activities.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #5

Frisco Woods is a good choice. Spent a week there two years ago and enjoyed every moment. Nice people with reasonable rates and clean facilities.
Docschro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Checked the old logs and it was indeed Ocean Waves we stayed at. Was very nice, spacious, and affordable. Easy in and out.
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

We are members at Camp Hatteras Campground we love it we've camped their for 15 years. As far as a good burger we can't beat Top Dog it's in Waves on the left heading south. Have fun and enjoy.
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

If we are willing to dry camp, what are the NPS campgrounds like? Which do you prefer?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #9

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
If we are willing to dry camp, what are the NPS campgrounds like? Which do you prefer?
There is a NP on Ocracoke that has only dry camping I think. We have not camped there. We camped at Camp Hatteras when we were there. Whether you camp on Ocracoke or not, I highly recommend you visit. The village is awesome. If you like good food, atmosphere and cold beverages be sure to visit Howard's Pub. Those folks had me in mind when they built that place.

In addition to the other things to do in the thread you may want to cruise the beach. I don't know if it's your thing or not but we thoroughly enjoyed driving on the beach while we were there. You have to have apermit and sit through a short instructional video but well worth it. Here's a link if you're interested.

Off-Road Vehicle Use - Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

I hope you enjoy your trip to this beautiful area of my home state.

P.S. Be sure to spends lots of $$$$$
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #10

places to stay on the obx. sands of time in avon very resonable, buxton back woods in buxton,frsco woods in frisco. these are smaller camp grounds but can take on any size camper all very clean . close to all attraction on southern end of ilsand
camp obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #11

There are 4 Federal primative camp grounds on the Outer Banks Oregon Inlet, Cape Point, Frisco, Ocrakote. Cold shower, toilets, water, paved pads all but Frisco has a dump station but Cape Point is close by. Frisco is a terraced campground on a very large sand dune we like the sites up on the dune looking out on the sea fill you water tank at Cape Point before you arrive or be prepare to park near the showers and have a "water thief" (an adapter for non-threaded water bibs). The other campgrounds are flat fields paved roads and pads.

Also take sunscreen, sunburn ointment, bug repellant, long tent stakes for sand and your shade with you.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Outer Banks II

Looking to visit there Oct 1st. Would like to camp on or very close to the beach as we enjoy watching the waves. Any campground close enough to the water's edge. Full hook ups not required.

Thanks
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Outer Banks Brew Station for beer and dinner.
Weeping Radish for hot dogs, sausage, and beer.
Jawfly for charter fishing in the sound with Capt. Buzz.

We go twice a year, early spring and Oct. Great place to relax.

Enjoy.
Vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Looking to visit there Oct 1st. Would like to camp on or very close to the beach as we enjoy watching the waves. Any campground close enough to the water's edge. Full hook ups not required.

Thanks
Ocracoke Campground on Ocracoke Island. No hookups, you do have to cross over the dunes to get to the ocean but we loved it. I do not like the nonsite specific reservation system they have. But if your lucky you can get a dune site which is closests to the beach. We camped there Aug 7th-Aug 10th. We were in site C-10.

Don't know if it's your thing or not but if you have a 4x4 toad, I highly recommend getting the ORV beach driving permit. You can ride the beach and enjoy this special place.

Enjoy your trip!
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground