Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Campgrounds in Savannah

does anybody have any recomendations for a campground near Paula Deen's in Savanah GA?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We spent a week in that area earlier this year. I doubt you'll find a park very near to Paula Deen's. I think we stayed just across the boarder in SC at a place called Hardeeville RV Park. It was 14 miles from Savanah and 21 miles from Hilton Head.

Good Luck, it's a beautiful place to visit.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moved to campground information.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK05DSDP View Post
does anybody have any recomendations for a campground near Paula Deen's in Savanah GA?
Thanks
Tybee Island RV is advertised as the closest RV park to Savanah. However "closest" is 28 miles! One way. I think the city has taken it over. It was run down and surely not worth the price when we stayed there last winter on our way south. All sites are sand/shells low water pressure, trees are overgrown and low hanging. Be on your lookout for the entrance sign on the left of Rt 80 when you are coming in. You probably will miss it as we did and have to make a circle to get back. The sign is VERY small.
Paula's is okay but I would not drive 28 miles back to eat there. You will have to sign in at the door for a time slot and return later. Uncle Bubba's which is her uncle's place is a lot closer to Tybee Island and the food is much better. Mostly Seafood.
Not sure of your travel plans but DO NOT drive into Savanah on MLK Monday unless you want to be in a parade!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed at Savannah Oaks when we visited the area last January, about a 15 minute trip into downtown area. Nice park and convenient to everything we wanted to do.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #6

Secound using Savannah Oaks as nearest park. Keep in mind it is also a fishing camp type campground on the river and is overated for what is furnished however is handy for getting to all the sights. Stayed there for a week last spring. PD eatery is highly over rated/priced. Ok for a one time thing. Better meals along the riverfront shops. Take one of the Tram rides across from the Greyhound bus station (free parking) for an overall view of Savannah first to get the layout
Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Savannah Oaks and it was a good base for viewing area attractions. Even Tybee Island. Don't even think about getting on the interstate during rush hours.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
We have stayed at Fort McAlister State Park just south of Savannah. It was a nice park but just a dump station, no full hookups in the sites. We will be staying later this year at Skidaway State park between Savannah and Little Tybee Island. It has full hookup sites but I have never actually been there.
David
Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #9

Hi. We live in Savannah. Skidaway Island State Park is probably your best choice if you plan to stay and see Savannah. You can get onto the Harry Truman Parkway not too far from the campground and take it almost all the way to town. However, I do not know of any sites there that have sewer hook up other than the host sites. There are several pull-through sites. Recheck your map and the Georgia parks website, Skidaway Island State Park is not really between Savannah and Little Tybee Island. It is located more on the south east side of Savannah. Also, the only way to get to Little Tybee Island is by boat. However, Hwy 80 will take you from Savannah to Tybee's main island.

The food at The Lady & Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant) used to be much better back when it was in a smaller location and before Paula got to be so popular. Because of her popularity, most likely you will not see her there. She rarely goes there any more. I'm not even sure how often Bobby and Jamie are there these days. I will say that my husband thinks they used to have some of the best fried chicken. Their chicken pot pie is very good too. The crust is made for a puff pastry and the filling is a very rich creamy sauce. You can eat from the buffet or order off of the menu.

Please do take a trolly ride as someone suggested. It will help you to get your bearings. Enjoy Savannah. There is so much to see.

Maggie - the not so porky Yorkie and Eddie - the crazy Chiweenie
SavReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #10

We stayed at the KOA in Richmond Hill. It's only a short drive from Savannah. The CG is nice, on a lake, and very Shady. I would recommend dining at least once at the "Pink House". Pauls Deens ok, the Pink House you won't forget. The flounder is wonderful.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Secound using Savannah Oaks as nearest park. Keep in mind it is also a fishing camp type campground on the river and is overated for what is furnished however is handy for getting to all the sights. Stayed there for a week last spring. PD eatery is highly over rated/priced. Ok for a one time thing. Better meals along the riverfront shops. Take one of the Tram rides across from the Greyhound bus station (free parking) for an overall view of Savannah first to get the layout

if you are coming in on i-16 e. what is the best( least traffic) way to get there? or can i-16 be avoided if coming in from west?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #12

Skidaway is a great park with huge sites, but it DOES NOT have full hookups; water and electric with a central dump station.

Easy drive to downtown Savannah. We went to Hilton Head for the day and saw nothing of interest to us. No waterfront, beach or downtown area. If you're a golfer then it would be paradise.

If you are military there is a very nice, new famcamp at Hunter Army Airfield. We'll be there Saturday for a week on the way to Key West.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I second Hardeeville RV Park in SC. It's a 15 minute drive to downtown Savannah.

We enjoyed the area, but we both agreed that the food at Lady & Son's was not that great. My wife is a gourmet cook, so maybe we are just fussy. But, she can say she has "been there."

As to Hardeeville RV park. You can either opt to maneuver through the trees, or you can ask for one of the open spaces (especially if you have Satellite). We opted for the trees and I maneuvered the 40 footer MH with no problems. Just be careful.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Please update us on the hunter FAMCAMP. Dick

Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote