Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Campgrounds in the Outer Banks

I too am looking for a campground in the Outer Banks area for the end of August. Is it worth going around that time??? I was hoping to take a trip to the Outer Banks the same time some friends will be taking their vacation. In our case I wanted to take the trailer instead of staying in hotels like they are (can't convince them to by an RV yet).

I read on another forum where they recommended these campgrounds:
Cape Hatteras KOA
Ocean Waves Campground
Cape Hatteras RV Resort

I'm really looking for a place with spots that are easy enough to get my 5vr backed in or pull-through. I also want full hook up.

Is there any other places on this list you'd recommend?
Outer Banks Campgrounds

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I spent a week at Ocean waves campground 2 years ago, Really super nice people that own it and operate it. Fills up fast and stays full most of the time. While on the island I toured through the other campgrounds, even the State park campgrounds, and for me Ocean Waves was the best, and for sure could not beat thier rates when compaired to the others. The sites are not big, but were ok. The circle turn in the picture is at the back of the campground at the base of the dune, try and get one of these sites if you want to be close to the ocean, up and over the dune and there it is. With the bedroom window open at night I could hear the ocean! life is good! Next visit will be Ocean Waves again for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00645.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	34368  

Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have stayed at Camp Hatteras RV Resort several times and have been happy with the site sizes, location , and selection. We stayed off season and the rates were more reasonable also with a coupon. They have ocean side sites and sound sites.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Any suggestions on a good campground off I-95 in South Carolina that I could use for a one night stop? Some place with a good pull-thru site would be awesome.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might want to check out Santee State Park in South Carolina.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorloser View Post
Any suggestions on a good campground off I-95 in South Carolina that I could use for a one night stop? Some place with a good pull-thru site would be awesome.
New Green Acres park in Walterboro is adjacent to I-95 and nothing but pull throughs. We have overnighted there three times in the last year. It's not a resort, but good enough for an overnighter.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch14me View Post
We have stayed at Camp Hatteras RV Resort several times and have been happy with the site sizes, location , and selection. We stayed off season and the rates were more reasonable also with a coupon. They have ocean side sites and sound sites.
Good to know. We are going there in a month for a test run, and have a week booked in August right on the ocean.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

There is also a nice campground in Avon...Sands of Time...they usually honor passport america members through the usual weekend blackout periods...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #9

We also stayed at Sands of Time and liked it, the Outer Banks is pretty long but it seemed well located to go as far south to the maritime museum & ferries and way north to Kitty Hawk. The sites were big enough for a 40' MH and 36' 5'r. We also liked the Passport America discount.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I stayed at the Ocean waves at the Outer banks area and thought it was a first class operation. You can't go wrong there.

Green Acres I would also second for a one nighter. Good pull throughs. Only problem is, it's very close to 95 .... sort of like a grass truck stop/rest area with trees and dirt. I ran a fan all night to cover the traffic noise.

Santee State park is a good 5 mile drive off the interstate and the road is slow so not a good overnight IMO. Some of the "pull thrus" are tight with the trees and not all sites are level although most are. They have two campgrounds and open the larger one after March 1st I believe. I think I prefer the smaller CG area. It is also very sandy.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Outer banks

We would like to go the the outer banks in July or August. We are going to be staying at Camp Hatteras RV Resort. I have 2 children ages 11 and 13. Can anyone recommend things to do arond the area. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have gone there for the past couple of years and have enjoyed our stay. The ocean on one side of the street and the sound on the other provides water related sports including fishing. The Campground itself has a spa, swimming pool, and game room. If you have a tow vehicle with you you will want to visit the lighthouse and take the ferry to Ocracoke Island. There is a nice fishing pier nearby and great seafood.