Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Lake Louisa has some full hook up and pull through sites. It has a gated entry and the campground is way back from the road. No shuttle to Disney but it is an easy drive.

jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like FW is worth a shot. I've read that sites closer to the pool are more convenient, any other thoughts on sites?

Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS
But always looking for the next RV
DaveTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Anywhere in FW is nice. Closer to certain facilities can be nice such as the activity barn or pools. We always rent a golf cart so you can run all over the campground. Please note the carts go very fast and in most cases you have to reserve one a few months out. We reserved a cart for our trip in March back in December. Also, there are Disney buses that are dedicated to the campground. If you can only get a site further out you just have to walk to the end of your loop and get on a bus to other parts of the campground. Still miss the train that the Fort had many years ago along with River Country water park.
Ian, Debi, Shannon, Brendan and Dillan

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Left there today.

Just one more view. FW is expensive, but even the lowest cost sites offer privacy to a degree. Its a spacious campground, and everyone has a smile.

That said, big coach, take a higher level space...getting into your slot with a 40+ coach in the lowest priced sites requires pretty good driving (admitting here that I am not in that category).

About the only negative I could say is the puckish colored dust from the Spanish moss that collects on your coach. Combined with the dewfall, you'll be washing your coach or TT when you get home.

One last thought, schedule 4-5 days in the park (expensive for park hopper tickets, but if you're military or retired they have a great military rate right now through 2013). Then stay in the CG and enjoy a few days relaxing. Disney wears old folks like me out.
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The many times we stayed in FL. we stayed at the Tropical Palms on route 192 just off #4 in Kissimmee, FL.
Old Town is next to it and the kids may enjoy the Saturday cruise night and amusements.
The campground is close to all amusement parks in the area.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
CG near Disney

Ditto to what "007" said about Tropical Palms

I just stayed there. It's a good place for Class A's to TTs. It has a year round heated pool, fitness center, washing machines, and cafeteria. Most all of the sites are nice and they offer everything from electric only sites to deluxe hookups. It is about 10 mins to Magic Kingdom ( traffic on I-4 stops during AM rush and PM, so avoiding that route is worthwhile). If you have kids you can walk next door to Old Town where they have dozens of Carnival type rides and mini-golf. Walking to nearby restaurants is easy also. I think they have a shuttle to Disney but I'm not sure....it's quick if you drive your own from their.

This weekend the place was full with high end RV's and guys with trailers with their classic cars for the Orlando car show.

Orlando has only a few nice CGs besides FW, believe me I've tried them and I live 1hr away. I think Tropical Palms is the nicest, close to Disney alternative.
Dave & Debbie
2014 Anthem 44B
2012 Jeep Rubicon toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
Certainly it is possible to get too much Disney. A good option is Cypress Cove in Ponciana. They have good clean 50, 30 and 20 amp service, steady water pressure, sewer, free wifi, free cable, and a phone hook up at each site. The cost is only around $55 with the seventh night free. The campground has a motel, executive golf course, two pools and a lake with paddleboats, two restaurants/pubs, tennis, hiking, bocce and golf cart rentals.
One little thing, it's clothing optional

Story here
MickBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Xwhatever for FW. We always felt that if you can afford the there park prices you can stand the extra at Fort Wilderness for the convenience and the experience.
Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
demoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
Forest River Owners Club
Tropical Palms is a very nice and clean park in Old Town Disney. We love Fort Wilderness, but Tropical Palms is great way to save a few dollars.

We have also stayed at the Thousand Trails -Orlando, which was nice. It is probably 20 to 30 minutes from Disney.
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
Vintage RV Owners Club
Aw great, I read this thread this morning and haven't been able to get the "its a small world" song out of my noggin ever since....

Thanks a bunch OP...
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dang YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #26
We have stayed at Fort Wilderness several times and always enjoyed it. When you stay at Fort Wilderness( if you look at the map) you are staying inside Disney and closer to Magic Kingdom than even the Value resorts. Our trip is always weighed at either staying at the Fort or a Value resort. If you have to reserve two rooms at a Value resort or go during peak season , Fort Wilderness is cheaper. If a family 2-4 people reserve 1 room during a value season/with free dining plan we have found that it is cheaper for us to to stay at a Value resort. Especially considering the cost of gas to pull the camper. Even though I love camping and staying at the Fort. I don't find it worth it during this time! Sorry, I know some may disagree! LOL!

When staying at Fort Wilderness or Value resorts we always use the transportation they offer & when we stay at Fort Wilderness riding the boats to Magic Kingdom is a nice change from the buses at the Value resorts. The Value resorts have some nice pools but no slides or Hot tubs. The Fort has two pools, the big one has a slide, an area for children 1-5yrs old with a small slide, I know at least 1 if not 2 hot tubs. Would have to check on that.
We like to use our vehicle for dining reservations at the resorts, or when visiting down town Disney. But still find it easier to use their transportation to the theme parks. We are droped off closer to the entrance which is nice. When staying at Fort Wilderness you are droped off by boat very close to entrance at Magic Kingdom. I noticed a few non Disney transportations when I went in 2011 and stayed at Pop. Pop was far but they were even further and across the street. Not sure how often their buses ran but from what I saw not as much.
Besides pools and transportation, Fort Wilderness also has horse back riding (we don't do), pony rides for children(we probably will with grandson this time), playgrounds(will do), beach( I could care less about since we can't get in the water), electric parade on the lake(we enjoy),arcade, outdoor movies,outdoor music/ chip and Dale with marshmallow roast, golf cart rental (never have &try to stay close to marina)settlement post,fishing, boat rentals,Trails End Buffet/probably need res/also carryout, snack bar beside pool, tavern with snacks, etc.,
The worse thing about the Fort to me is having to take the bus inside to get to the marina, pool, etc., We have never rented a golf cart and that would eliminate this. A golf cart from Disney is about 450 for the week. You can bring your own or rent off site, but other golf cart rental places are not allowed on Disney property. We usually end up going to the theme parks more than the pool, especially if we go the water parks, and that is why we camp near the marina.
Is the Fort Worth it over July 4, 2013. Well, I can stay there for 1-10 people with a golf cart on a premium site for about 1350.00. It will cost about 500 dollars to pull down. I can stay at two Value resorts, for about 2400 and cost about 300 dollars for gas. I'm going to have cost of tickets and food no matter what! But at the fort I can grill a steak, chicken , what ever, put on a roast in the slow cooker when I get tired of eating out, & have my stove, microwave, sink, own fridge/ freezer, etc. I think it will make a difference of about a thousand dollars and I will be in Disney. That makes it worth it for me!

Silver Mist is offline   Reply With Quote