Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Campgrounds near disneyworld

Any recommendations on parks close-by or even with shuttles to the parks? The disney campground just seems very expensive, is it really worth it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Its worth it I think, the sites are nice, there is all the transportation to the park and bus transportation within the campground.

Most parks outside are expensive too, and the transportation is no where near as good as Disneys, if they even have any
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the other posters. Fort Wilderness is worth the money. Outside parks are not cheap either and in many cases you have to use your toad, rent a car, or use a taxi to get to the parks if you are not willing to unhook everyday and drive. The Fort is one of the nicest campgrounds in the country so you will pay a little extra. Note, some of sites can be tight for large units. Premium sites are larger.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

I am another big fan of Fort Wilderness. It is a Disney Resort and that allows you to take advantage of the extended Magic Hours at the parks.

I also like staying there so I don't have to get outside the "Disney Bubble", but mostly, it makes DW very, very happy! And that is truly Magical.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

We stayed at Lake Louisa State Park which is about 15 miles from Disney for $26 per night. It was quiet with fishing and walking/ biking trails. Very nice park and about 66% less than Disney.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
The one and only, winner and still champion..........Fort Wilderness Campground.

Worth it - YES

Once you are there, you are there. Transportation anywhere you want to go, no parking issues, convenience and first rate state of the art campground.

Was there last month, never dissapoints.

Expensive...also YES

Like so many other things, you get what you pay for.

JMHO!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Anything near Disney with a shuttle service will be expensive too. Perhaps not as much as Disney but then you'll also have to pay for parking ($15 a day). I agree, for the time you'll be visiting the parks, stay at Ft Wilderness. It's a great park in its own right, you can use Disney transportation to get anywhere you want to go (including a nice boat ride to the Magic Kingdom), and you'll have other perks available only to resort guests. It'll make a big difference in the quality of the experience.

Have fun!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for FW...
One thing to consider too is the extras while staying IN FW...

Each site was HUGE where we stayed, in fact, our friends in the next site were too far away and hidden by trees, etc....

the nightly 'theater' with the characters when we were there,
the 'walk-in' (as opposed to drive-in) where we sat on logs and watched a video - sometimes with the characters sitting next to the kids !!!!

Suggest u go to that the first nite as it gave us a great orientation of the park !

We took the motor launches from the campground across the lake to the park, and the trams to other areas - some even outside the park...

WELL worth it !!!!! The kids STILL talk about it !

dang, now you are making me want to go back - great times !

(Take the behind the scene tours if they still offer it - the technology was awesome ! - heck - even the underground garbage can pickup process was ingenious !
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Lets not forget the hours than can be spent riding a golf cart around the place!!

Also if you use the bath houses they are as clean as the one in your rig, if not cleaner. Laundry in every bath house that has AC. Nice catch and release fishing on the rivers. Some nice trails, try to find and explore the old train tracks

Fort Wilderness is almost an attraction in itself

I tend to spend 2 weeks there.

The worst and only bad thing about FW is when you have to leave
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you plan to visit Universal Studios stay at

City of Orlando :: Families, Parks and Recreation - Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake

About 4 miles north of US and surrounded by an upscale residential neighborhood. We paid $19/day for water and Electric, add sewer for another $4. It's really nice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #11

Even though we go there 3 or 4 times a year to satisfy visiting friends and relatives, I am in the minority that does not think Ft. Wilderness is worth it. I personally find it too expensive and too busy. There are two campgrounds in Davenport (KOA and Theme World) that run Disney shuttles, and as others have already been said, Lake Louisa is nice. I have also talked with others who have stayed at campgrounds in Kississimmee with shuttles to the parks. If you are a Disneyphobe I agree total immersion at the Fort may be the way to go. I am not and Ft. Wilderness would not be my first choice.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
For a 26 foot TT I assume the regular full hookup sites are fine. The premium, etc are not needed?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #13

We stayed at the Orlando/Fort Summit KOA that has a free shuttle to WDW. One pickup time in the am to go, 2 pickup times to come back (one mid-afternoon and one evening). We enjoyed it there. Less expensive than Fort Wilderness and no parking to pay.
dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Fort Wilderness

Answer to TT needing premium sites.....no, almost any site at FW is good.

FW is pricey but can actually save you money. If you stay at KOA or other CG you are hostage to their schedule. The nice thing about FW is you can take the busses or boat shutlle to any of the parks and pick when you go. When we had kids we'd wake them up at the unreasonable hour of 8 am and take the boat to arrive when the park opens at 10am. We'd go on rides and such then eventually take the boat back to FW for midday lunch. (Food ends up being expensive at the parks). Let the kids... and us nap, then back mid afternoon via boat for the afternoon and stay for the evening fireworks. The shuttles back and forth can open up a lot of flexibility in your schedule and sometimes after a few days you become Disneyed out and everyone is happy to just hang by the pool.

IMHO
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote