Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Campgrounds on I-65

Looking for safe, nice clean campgrounds on I-65 from Indianapolis, to the gulf coast. Leaving Michigan end of October. 36' MH with tow car.

bj32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
If you have a GPS that allows you to put in your own POI's (points of interest) you can go to this site: Popular POI Files | POI Factory
and download these files and more:

All campgrounds and RV parks in the US
All walmarts, Pilot and Flying J's in US
All rest areas

and much more. Then you can pull them up on your GPS and find "lets say" an RV park 90 miles down the road. You can then give them a call (telephone numbers are included) and book your reservation.

We do this all the time when we travel but most often we only stay in Walmart parking lots because we like to leave VERY early in the morning.

Pat and Judy, Molly and Emma
2000 Monaco Dynasty-1999 Sebring Convertible
Winter S/W Florida....Summer Eastern Tennessee
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Rexhall Owners Group
Depending on which way you are going on the gulf coast, if you take 231 to go east, there is a nice campground in Ozark/Ft. Rucker. ( I think it is now a KOA )
We have also stayed on Music Valley Drive ( KOA and Yogi Bear ) and also a little closer to you is a nice KOA in Bowling Green, KY. We live in south central Ohio, and prefer I-65 to the more hilly eastern routes.
2003 Rexhall Rexair, 3550 Ford V10 with Banks
2014 Honda CRV-AWD via Blue Ox
Travel with SWMBO and Golden Doodle co pilot
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Look up the Alabama state parks along your way, (in Alabama, of course). We have stayed at Joe Wheeler in North Alabama, Oak Mountain near Birmingham, and Gulf State Park near Mobile. They are all very nice, reasonably priced, and have full hook-ups - including sewer taps at each site.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've stayed here a couple of times passing through, nice place and good people.
Texas "T" Campground in Tennessee
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Gunter Hill COE, about 8 miles west of I-65 at Montgomery AL.
Catoma Loop newer, better.
view2a.thril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
Thank you all for the information.
bj32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
I-65 campgrounds

I like Rickwood Caverns State Park north of Birmingham. It's maybe 10 minutes off the interstate but good facilities.
kayaknkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
I've stayed at Cave Country Campground in Cave City, KY while passing through on I-65. Nice clean campground & easy to get into and out.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
South of Birmingham at the Hoover exit, Birmingham South RV Park, further down I-65 in Alabama is Dandy RV/KOA, Clanton, AL. Both are right off the interstate and good overnight stop overs.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - Air Force 1
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Texas T exit 27 Tennessee nice overnight or longer stay. Less than 1/2 mile off interstate. Good Sam park.
John, Pam, Nicholas, Aria
NKK 16073L
2007 Essex 4502
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Going South on I-65 and trying to find good campgrounds is sometimes a problem for us. There are a few that are pretty good and a few that are not so good. We have started staying at a few of the Walmart parking lots when available. The other times, there are a few campgrounds that are close to the Interstate that are easy to get into and have good facilities. We are currently staying the night @ Montgomery South Campground @ the 158mm.. It is a Passport America campground and is very clean and easy to get into. PA price is $21. There is not much here except the campground, but it serves our needs. It is good for a overnight stay.
South of Nashville you will not find any campgrounds acceptable until the 27 mm. Texas "T" is a really good overnight stop.
We have stayed at several of the other campgrounds on this route and didn't want to return to them. They were either too far from the Interstate or weren't acceptable.
Good luck with your trip south.
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO, stay away from Point Mallard in Decatur Alabama. Kids running wild, dogs tied to trees. City Park but seems to have residents or semi-residents. Was going to stay 2 days based on the ads, got out real early after one night.
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
American Coach Owners Club
In Greenville.Ala at exit 130 is Sherling Lake Park and Campground...it is quite a neat little F/H park...get site 1 if it is open...4 miles from I-65...Chuck

2012 American Tradition Merlot and a 2015 Grand Cherokee:GO NOLES
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote