Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

Camping advice for Nova Scotia, Canada

Thinking about a trip from my home base in Upstate New York on Vermont border to Nova Scotia sometime this summer....would involve at least one overnight somewhere in Maine in route...have not yet done the map research to determine the best route towing a travel trailer...thinking crossing through Maine on route 2.

Need advise as to where to camp both in route and in Nova Scotia...could one base camp in Nova Scotia provide a central location to tour it all or would two or three work better? How much time should I budget? My wife and I are retired so we have the time to explore it all at a relaxed pace.

Hope some of you have "been there done that" and supply some guidance.
Thanks in Advance.

Patrick G.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #2

I'm trying to remember what we did and where, in 2014. In Maine we stayed at Pumpkin Patch RV park in Hermon, Maine (just SW of Bangor). I highly recommend this RV park. On the way up to NS, you might want to experience the Bay of Fundy tidal bore and walk on the ocean floor. It was very unusual to watch surfers riding the tidal bore up the river at Moncton NS. There is an RV parking lot at Hopewell Rocks park 8642 Rte. 114, Alma NB.
We stayed at 6 RV parks in NS. The closest to Halifax was Woodhaven RV park of Halifax in Hammonds Plains.. We also stayed at Baddeck Cabot Trail CG in Baddeck. Of course a must see is Peggy's Cove and hike out to the lighthouse for awesome pictures.
Do request a visitors guide for NS. There are so many things to see and do in NS I don't think just 2 or 3 base camps will suffice. I don't think any of the CG's have 50A, a few are only 15A.
If at all possible, time your travels to attend the Royal Tattoo at Halifax, parking is almost impossible to find so arrive a few hours early and walk around the old Fort and that area of the city. While in Halifax you might visit the graveyard for Titanic victims.
I'd better stop remembering now, or I'll be going again next summer.
We were with a caravan, and could have spent 3-4 weeks in NS but the itinerary prevented that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't add much because we did the trip a lot different but it was way back in 1979. We drove to Bar Harbor ME and loaded the MH (23' Class C Tioga) on the Blue Nose ferry and took the 8 hour ocean ride to Yarmouth NS. The ferry was shut down several years ago. That was a great way to get there. The DW and I did the trip with the two kids and my Mom the year after my Dad passed away.

We had a wonderful time. Ate a lot of lobster and scallops. We drove into Digby NS and there was a sign that said, "Scallop Capitol of the World." My Mom's eyes lit up light a Xmas tree. We also just happened to go into the town of Antigonish NS. This was the first year that the Highland Games had ever been held outside of Scotland. We arrived right in the middle of it all and had a ball. Bag pipes everywhere. Dancers, and the games were wonderful. We also visited Fort Louisburg and we had to take a ferry across to the island. That was very neat.
My DW still kids me about the dozens and dozens of Slides I took at Peggy's Cove LH. It is absolutely beautiful. I could have sat by that LH and listened to the ocean for days.

Enjoy your trip.
TeJay
Old 05-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #4

We were there in 2003, drove the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, and stayed in a small campground that was right on a cliff over the ocean. We only stayed one night, and it might have been dry-camp, but they had different categories of recycling containers for white paper, colored paper, glass & Aluminum - and people used them .

Also, recommend the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #5

Many trips to Nova Scotia but it's been a while. Depending on what and how much you want to give yourself a good 10 days and about 4 campgroundsl. Cape Breton is not to be missed. If you go take the Atlantic side to start and end up bay of fundy side. Much easier up hills. Stop at Cabot lodge. Great provincial park in area. Below Breton on atlantic side see Peggy's cove, stay at Neptune campground. Further south is the ovens campground. Beautiful. Too many places to suggest here. They have the best guide tour book of any where. Never a problem getting sites. Never reserved. We camped in Vw camper. Just bought 05 Phoenix cruiser. Plan to go back nxt year. Used to have a ferry out of Portland main but was stopped. Am told it may run again this year. You can also drive around and up.
chevyboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Use to take groups to the TATTOO in July than Cape Briton or P.D.I. had some great times many interesting sites to see.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Highest tides in the world (maybe some fijords in Norway have higher) in the Minus Basin. Try Parrsboro as it has the paleantology museum. Really good baked goods at the Coop grocery store

If you go to Cape Breton do not miss the Alexander Graham Bell museum at Badec (sp?)
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, advice, camping