Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

Camping Alaska

We are from the East Coast and planning a trip to Alaska summer 2013. Can anyone help us with campground information. Do you think we need to make reservations and if so how much in advance. With all the tourism seems they might fill up in the summer. We will be staying in Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage and down near Seward. If you'd like to recommend or give us any pointers that would be great. Thanks in advance.
bbqgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Made the trip 3 times never made a reservation. We like to be flexible plans will change because of weather or sites to see. One time we pulled into Seward on July 2nd everything was full. I didn't realize what date it was and Seward has a huge Ironman mountain climb thing going on every year on 4th. I thought we would have to turn around and drive back 40 miles what they told us at information. Drove into town to see the campsites anyway they have like 400 site real close to town on water. Some guy flags us down ask if we need a campsite he has emergency has to go back to Anchorage. Lucky us right on water for the holiday.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgirl View Post
We are from the East Coast and planning a trip to Alaska summer 2013. Can anyone help us with campground information. Do you think we need to make reservations and if so how much in advance. With all the tourism seems they might fill up in the summer. We will be staying in Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage and down near Seward. If you'd like to recommend or give us any pointers that would be great. Thanks in advance.
When possible I would make reservations, especially at Denali - although many state parks do not take them. I would be settled into these camps before the weekend and several days before a long weekend..
Alaskans love camping and the parks fill quickly. One other contender are the caravans that come through - one or two of these can really fill an area.
If you have not discovered the Milepost, I would pick one up.. Great source of travel / camping / activity information.
There are also several tourism / state sites that offer some great information..
If tent camping, I would look into camping in bear country - some very simple basic steps can avoid a confrontation. The few times I have had a bear in the camp where the times when I least expected it..
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgirl View Post
If you haven't you need to get the Milepost and the Alaska Camping book. They both have valuable Alaska & Western Canada travel information.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #5

The 2013 Milepost comes put 19 March 2013.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
First, welcome to iRV2!

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Best source of information you can get on Alaska travel. It's a wonderful place - enjoy!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
We have spent two summers up there and loved every minute of it. We never made reservations.

I would recommend that you visit Dawson City and go into Alaska on the Top of the World Highway. It is very picturesque.

A generator is very handy. It will allow you to camp on the side of the road, and there are lots of places to pull off and spend the night.

By all means get the Milepost. It is just full of very usable information.

You'll have a grand time.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I live in Anchorage so I have never stayed in an Anchorage CG. THe ones I see as I drive around town are nothing special. Seems they would meet minimum requirements.

In Seward I really like the city park. It is located right on Resurrection Bay, beautiful views of the Bay and easy walking to the downtown shops and restaurants.
Seward, AK - Official Website - Campgrounds

If you travel to Homer there are 3 CGs on the spit, I prefer those to the ones up on the hill. THe ones on the spit have a bit more room and are either on the beach or very very close. I stayed up on the hill at Driftwood Inn, too crowded but not a bad walk down the hill to the beach. Homer has a very nice small town parade on the 4th of July.
Bing Local

Depending on the time of the year, reservations are a good idea in popular locations.

If you are ok with boon docking occasionally, Alaska is the perfect spot. There are many wide spots in the road for pulling over and enjoying the scenery. Nothing like waking up and having that morning cup of coffee overlooking something like Kachemak Bay or some of our beautiful mountains.

Talkeetna on your way to Denali is a quaint little town with 4 or 5 CGs. If you stop here be sure to have breakfast at the Roadhouse. Talkeetna is where the climbers gather before and after their attempts at Denali.

The Richardson Hwy from Fairbanks to Valdez is a great trip as is the Seward Hwy from Anchorage to Seward.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

The only reservations we made for the whole summer were for Denali at Teklanika campground and in Palmer for July 4 weekend. We had no problems getting sites otherwise. Also, I hope you're planning on stopping at more places than what you mentioned. Fairbanks and Anchorage are "cities". You need to poke through the smaller towns for "real" Alaska.

Anchorage really doesn't have any good RV parks. We stayed nearby at Eagle River - a public park which had huge sites. In Seward we stay at the city park right on the water. Awesome to view the wildlife and ships.

Other stops to make: Haines, Skagway, Homer, Valdez and then there are great stops in the Yukon and Canada. You'll always find state parks, national forest, BLM and city parks to stay and to us, they're much better than the gravel parking lots of the RV parks. You'll find easy, beautiful boondocking spots along the roadsides.

Your best reference for campgrounds of all kinds is Mike and Terri Church's "Alaskan Camping" available on Amazon. That and the "Milepost" for historical information are the only references you'll need to take along. Also purchase - before you go - the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book available online. One glacier cruise (a must) will pay for the book.

Half the fun is in the planning....have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping