Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #15

If you are retired military, you can stay at the military campground in Millington. Nice place. I think it was a former trailer park that was reworked.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
You might try Hernando Point Mississippi - a Corps of Engineers park. With the golden age card $10 a night. Lots of room with wide spaces w/50 amp power and water. Septic on the way out. Probably 40 minutes our so to Memphis. Seems like a long drive down the two lane road from Hernando but I think worth it.
Hernando Point
I spent a week there earlier this month - some gnats & mosquitoes but not to bad.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Memphis Jellystone Park

My mistake, it's actually in Horn Lake, MS. That is the next burb over from Southaven. Check this review.....

Horn Lake (Mississippi ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews

My DW and I became friends with some of the work campers. One of the neat things about his place is they donate spaces to needy families with their children going thru advanced cancer treatment at St Jude's (Danny Thomas' charity) for children's cancer. We rented a spot for a month, and only used it for two weeks (it was cheaper) and then donated the balance for needy families going thru extended cancer treatment with their children.

Another post mentioned Millington NAS if you are retired military (which we are) and it is nice and clean but very far from anything in town and not good for kids unless they are very small and stay with the parents a lot.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #18

Thanks for all the feedback. Hate to admit it, I'm a Elvis fan. Looking forward to Memphis. Speaking of military we are currently at NAS Pensacola, the Blue Angels Rec Area. They recently added 40 new site and a new bath and laundry pavilion. The wide streets make it a snap backing in - tons of room. Many pull-through sites too. Nice job Navy! If you're ever in the area make sure you get "bushwacked" at the Dock over in Pensacola Beach in Gulf Breeze: Bushwacked is a local adult beverage the comes with bragging rights. Semper Fi
Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
2X Tom Sawyer, a lot to do just watching the barges.
Wide lots, free laundry mats if you like, we don't.
Then we still went to Memphis and saw what every
one's mentioned.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannys5er View Post
Where is s nice campground close to Memphis would like to take family to the zoo there and camp while we are there ?
There's an older one just over the bridge (east shore) on US55 very convenient to downtown, close to the docks and railyard, quite a few full timers, we didn't have any problems, just wasn't what were expecting. I recommend getting there before dark, it's not easy to see from the street. Take that for what it's worth. There's also one north of 40 on 55(?) that looks a little quieter.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #21

Tom Sawyer's RV

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! I took my family for a drive one day to look for new campgrounds to stay this year and we came across this place. We stopped by the office to check for info but nobody was there, so we drove through to look at the sites. There were about three campers parked in a few sites but nobody was around. I parked and let my kids look at the river as a barge was passing. All of a sudden 4 men came up to us riding a tractor and a couple of ATVs. I asked if they worked there and they immediately began to be-raid me for trespassing on private property. I tried explaining that I was here with my 2 year old son and 6 year old daughter to find info about there campground and didn't mean to do anything wrong. While I was talking with them and telling them that I had stopped by the office and couldn't find anyone, a woman walks up and acts very aggressive by starting out yelling at me and said she was going to call the police on us for trespassing. By this time my son and daughter are crying and scared. They were standing around us and had us cut off from returning to my truck. I was in a very difficult spot trying to calm them down and trying to reason with these very unreasonable people that were getting me worried too. This campground is tucked away back off the edge of town and nobody was around that could help me if these people were to get physical and tried to hurt me or my kids. I finally worked my way back to my truck and buckled my kids up. The five of them still were surrounding me and being very aggressive. I managed to get my kids in the truck and I apologized once again and left. I would recommend to stay far far away from this place. These people are not friendly nor people you would normally find at a campground. their behavior makes me think something is very wrong there. I have lived in Memphis all my life. Our favorite park around Memphis is Meeman-Shelby State Park. It is very nice and quiet. It is also only about 20 mins. from downtown Memphis.
TNCampingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappelte View Post
We had reservations at Tom Sawyer but they were flooded in late May so we stayed at EZ Days in Southaven, Ms. Very nice and close to Memphis. Found it on RV Park Reviews. By the way, we just did the trip you are planning. NAS Pensacola was awesome and New Orleans was, well, intoxicating. Hanging out on Beale Street in Memphis is one of our favorite things. Have fun!!
We stayed in Southhaven last fall at EZ days and it was quite nice. I would stay there again.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #23

Hmmm
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCampingdad View Post
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! I took my family for a drive one day to look for new campgrounds to stay this year and we came across this place. We stopped by the office to check for info but nobody was there, so we drove through to look at the sites. There were about three campers parked in a few sites but nobody was around. I parked and let my kids look at the river as a barge was passing. All of a sudden 4 men came up to us riding a tractor and a couple of ATVs. I asked if they worked there and they immediately began to be-raid me for trespassing on private property. I tried explaining that I was here with my 2 year old son and 6 year old daughter to find info about there campground and didn't mean to do anything wrong. While I was talking with them and telling them that I had stopped by the office and couldn't find anyone, a woman walks up and acts very aggressive by starting out yelling at me and said she was going to call the police on us for trespassing. By this time my son and daughter are crying and scared. They were standing around us and had us cut off from returning to my truck. I was in a very difficult spot trying to calm them down and trying to reason with these very unreasonable people that were getting me worried too. This campground is tucked away back off the edge of town and nobody was around that could help me if these people were to get physical and tried to hurt me or my kids. I finally worked my way back to my truck and buckled my kids up. The five of them still were surrounding me and being very aggressive. I managed to get my kids in the truck and I apologized once again and left. I would recommend to stay far far away from this place. These people are not friendly nor people you would normally find at a campground. their behavior makes me think something is very wrong there. I have lived in Memphis all my life. Our favorite park around Memphis is Meeman-Shelby State Park. It is very nice and quiet. It is also only about 20 mins. from downtown Memphis.
I assume you will do a rvparkreview. NO excuse for that type of behavior! Just do a copy and paste of this post and you're in business. Hundreds if not thousands we see your review in the next year or so ...
Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews
Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Tom Sawyer's about 3 years ago and were not that impressed. Yes it was interesting to watch the barges pass by. There was nothing else special about the place. Dusty gravel roads and dirt/gravel sites. Folks checking us in were fine and, when asked, recommended a local BBQ place as absolutely great. When we got to the restaurant was a nasty looking dump and the food was certainly not great.

We did get some great BBQ at Neely's in Memphis.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCampingdad View Post
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!
I have lived in Memphis all my life. Our favorite park around Memphis is Meeman-Shelby State Park. It is very nice and quiet. It is also only about 20 mins. from downtown Memphis.
I hate the fact you had this problem, if this happened to me I'd be upset also...
They've always been great to us, we've been there close to 5 weeks last 2 years, there very nice. My understanding it's owned and run by a vet and Filipino wife. Far as the reastraunt I haven't tried it probably never will, didn't think it was open any more.
Only time we don't go is during winter and it floods during this time.
Not that it makes a difference when did you go! Heck maybe it's changed since May 2013.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #27

Elvis is still the King and everyone should go to Graceland at least once. Stayed at TS in August 2007 and it was not nice and the temp was 106 degrees every day with zero shade. We went to the 30th anniversary of the Kings death events including a concert in the Forum. How many dead singers can sell out the FedX Forum thirty years after they die? NONE except for Elvis. Wish I had known about a better campground and now I do.
Thanks,

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #28

Lake hot Jellystone.

Tags
camping