Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Camping around Memphis Tn

Where is s nice campground close to Memphis would like to take family to the zoo there and camp while we are there ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #2

You mention family, I'd probably stay at Tom Sawyer RV Park in Arkansas, but it is just across the MS river from Memphis, plus there was enough room for kids to run/ride bikes when we checked it out (We live in the Memphis Metro area). You'd be able to sit and watch the barge traffic travel the river as well.

Tom Sawyer's RV Park

I'd be happy to suggest other things to do (and no, Graceland is not one of them) and if you'd share your child(ren)s age(s), I can tailor them to what we enjoyed. Do you have a time frame when you're looking at being here?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Blondie View Post
You mention family, I'd probably stay at Tom Sawyer RV Park in Arkansas, but it is just across the MS river from Memphis, plus there was enough room for kids to run/ride bikes when we checked it out (We live in the Memphis Metro area). You'd be able to sit and watch the barge traffic travel the river as well.

Tom Sawyer's RV Park

I'd be happy to suggest other things to do (and no, Graceland is not one of them) and if you'd share your child(ren)s age(s), I can tailor them to what we enjoyed. Do you have a time frame when you're looking at being here?
X2 on Tom Sawyer campground. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they have gotten the campground straightened out from the most recent Mississippi River flood. Someone else may have information on that. We were going to stop there a short time ago, but found out that they were closed due to the flood. Right on the Mississippi, it's one of our favorites.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
You can't do Memphis justice without going Graceland. Was there twice with the kids and they loved it. You can see Elvis' cars, planes, etc. If you can afford it, pay for the VIP tour to avoid all the lines of Elvis fanatics!

Also Rendezvous Ribs. Ask any cabbie and he will get you there. On a back alley near the Peabody Hotel.

We stayed at the campground right next to Graceland. Nothing special, just a place to park the rig.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
You can't do Memphis justice without going Graceland. Was there twice with the kids and they loved it. You can see Elvis' cars, planes, etc. If you can afford it, pay for the VIP tour to avoid all the lines of Elvis fanatics!

Also Rendezvous Ribs. Ask any cabbie and he will get you there. On a back alley near the Peabody Hotel.

We stayed at the campground right next to Graceland. Nothing special, just a place to park the rig.
Working on my bucket list: Currently NAS Pensacola. Will head to New Orleans, and from there Memphis. Looking for nice park and don't mind paying a premium. Any recommendations. Heard about Memphis ribs. Can't wait!!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had reservations at Tom Sawyer but they were flooded in late May so we stayed at EZ Days in Southaven, Ms. Very nice and close to Memphis. Found it on RV Park Reviews. By the way, we just did the trip you are planning. NAS Pensacola was awesome and New Orleans was, well, intoxicating. Hanging out on Beale Street in Memphis is one of our favorite things. Have fun!!

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
2X on Tom Sawyer's CG.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

Called tom sayer will be there labor day weekend. We love Memphis just a few hours away and the child loves the zoo there. We like Corky's BBQ and I will go to the charcoal store while there. He sells to pig on Beale and a couple of other places. Great charcoal and cheap to.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
How far is Tom Sawyer's from where the Memphis BBQ Festival is held? This is about the only thing I would like to go to Memphis for.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Memphis CGs

I have worked in Memphis for over 25 yrs and I end up with my RV there a lot. IMHO the nicest RV park....that is very kid friendly and in a nice area...is Jellystone Campground in Southaven MS. It has about 150 spaces, all of them wide paved spots with fire rings. For the kids they have a nice pool and playground. The place is quiet and meticulously maintained. The neighborhood has nice houses and it is 5 mins from a variety of shopping and eats. 3 mi away is Memphis BBQ shown on Food Network and also by Guy Fieri. Southaven is 15 mins from Graceland and 20 mins to Beale street. IMHO it is much nicer than Sawyer CG which floods often and there isn't much to do there.

Here's a pic from May this year....sorry my rig is blocking the complete view
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	43052  
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #11

I'm at the Graceland RV park right now! And will be till Wednesday

It's OK actually - has a dog area, great security, 50A full hookup, awesome WiFi and you can walk into Graceland.

In an hour or so we are catching the $5 shuttle to Beale Street for some awesome ribs and street entertainment!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How far is Tom Sawyer's from where the Memphis BBQ Festival is held? This is about the only thing I would like to go to Memphis for.
20 mins, maybe 30 if traffic is bad.... add 5 mins to get to world famous Beale St., Rendezvous BBQ...
Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

Isn't the BBQ Festival in May? MIM.

Just hit up the Blues City Cafe for wet ribs - OMG they were good. Going to Rendezvous for the dry ribs tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #14

No list for Jellystone in Southheaven, MS. Looks like a nice park. It surprises me there are so many rv parks out there with no reviews.

Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews

Tags
camping