Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Smile camping at oceano dunes svra

Hi there, I am going camping memorial weekend to oceano dunes svra. supposedly you can camp right on the sand. we have a 25 foot class A winnebago. I am nervous about getting stuck in the sand, I looked up the campsite and see plenty of pics of motorhomes camping on the sand, the site does say you should lower the air in your tires and that just freaks me out. Has anyone been out there or know of anyone that has been there? any advice would be appreciated, I am also going to check out jalama beach while I am up there cause it is a no reservation campsite, if we can get in there, I will cancel the oceano rsv. thanks angela
beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Sand

Yes you do need to lower the tire pressure, not a big deal. The sand seems to be a little harder the closer you are to the water.
haskins1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudrya786 View Post
Hi there, I am going camping memorial weekend to oceano dunes svra. supposedly you can camp right on the sand. we have a 25 foot class A winnebago. I am nervous about getting stuck in the sand, I looked up the campsite and see plenty of pics of motorhomes camping on the sand, the site does say you should lower the air in your tires and that just freaks me out. Has anyone been out there or know of anyone that has been there? any advice would be appreciated, I am also going to check out jalama beach while I am up there cause it is a no reservation campsite, if we can get in there, I will cancel the oceano rsv. thanks angela
Are you into quads, bikes and dune buggy's? It's crazy out there on holiday weekends.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
Are you into quads, bikes and dune buggy's? It's crazy out there on holiday weekends.
I have to agree here. It gets real busy here on holiday weekends. Unless you are into motor sports.

To answer you question, Yes you can camp on the beach.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Memorial day weekend is typically the most crowded the dunes get. (4th of july and labor day follow second). They might reach their overnight capacity by friday night, so get there early.

YOu will need to air down your tires to almost flat BEFORE you get to the front gate. The first 100 yards past the gate is soft sand, then you get to the hard pack by the water. Do not lose momentum and plan all your stops in the sand accordingly. There is a gradual slope to the ocean, and you want to use this gravity as an aid to get out of trouble. when you leave there is a couple gas stations up grand ave that have air (the line could be long on sunday/monday for air) And Im not sure if they have the compressors to get up to 70+ psi, so you might need to bring your own compressor or check online for a spot that fills up. (ive only filled up truck tires)

What you might not hear about is the WIND. (how do you think this sand ended up here in the first place) its brutal in the afternoon if your not prepaired for it. I suggest getting a cheap, thin sheet of particle board and ripping it in half the long way to place along your undercarage to help block out the wind. Also bring a long handle shovel to dig wind burms, fire pits, your wheels out, etc.

Jalama Beach is first come first serve and will be filled by wednesday/thursday before any big weekend. locals know this and send people out to claim the spots and the rest of the party comes friday evening. (thats what we do to gaurantee a spot) good luck because that place is one of my all time favorite places on earth!
KUZN EDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
kuznedy- I wish I knew someone in that area, I would pay them to save me a spot. we are coming from Temecula and I would much rather stay in jalama than oceano dunes. I am going to leave wednesday morning and I am hoping we get a spot, have you heard of another first come first serve campground called rincon? we may try that one too.
beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #7

Yeah... Rincon is just north of Ventura. My friends in ventura go there a couple times a month. It is basically just long parking spaces on the side of the road right on the ocean front. You are steps away from the ocean. I would think wednesday you could get a spot for the weekend but still expect it to be croweded. (its a good crowd though!)

Couple things about this spot... You are parked on the side of the road tip to tail with the rig infront and behind you so you have an ocean front view out the side. The beach is down about 50 ft from your spot but has large boulders as breakwater so it can be dificult to negotiate the boulders to the beach. (spot #35/36 is the best in the run) There are access spots every few hundred yards. The freeway, access road, and Train tracks are right behind you, so dont expect a perfectly silent trip. The weather is usually nice in the afternoon but you could have fog all day on memorial day due to the valley heating up that time of year.

I would suggest that when you get to Rincon make a phone call to Jalama and ask about their vacancy. If they still have some space its about another 1.5 hr drive and is well worth it. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudrya786 View Post

There is alot of good information here. Thanks to all the posters. Is Jalama also for ATV's? We may have to try that next time. Meanwhile, we are going to Oceano on Memorial Day weekend, but are looking for additional tickets. If you end up cancelling, we would love to buy your tix from you!
brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

Jalama beach does NOT allow ATV's.

Tags
camping