Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Camping by the beach

We plan on spending about a month in the Corpus Christi area during February. Is there any prep we need to do before or during a stay close to salt water to guard against any corrosive effect on the motorhome? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Salt Water Corrosion

Good Question. We live on the salt water, and don't do anything special, and have no corrosion evident. This kind of corrosion takes years, really, judging by our outside door hardware, porch lights, etc. on the stick house.

Having said that, when you return, you might go to a spray car wash, and give her a good bath, especially underneath, hitting the wheel wells, etc. where sand and salt might hide.

Also, if you have jacks down, make sure the shiny parts are sprayed with WD40 or the like, as these don't like corrosion or dirt very much.

Have Fun!

Old 12-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

Camping on the beach

Thanks very much. Many years ago we lived on the Naval Air Station at Corpus and I just remember the kid's swing set rusting very quickly. Of course, we were only about 200 yards from the water and had not done anything to protect it. But we love the beach and will follow your advice. Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Camped once on the beach at Padre Island. Within two days there was a salt film on the windshield that was noticeable. The rest of the coach had to be covered as well. It was only a two day stay. Drove through some rain the next few days so the underneath should have been reasonably cleaned. Car wash after the rain so no ill effects.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
We live on the salt water, and don't do anything special, and have no corrosion evident. This kind of corrosion takes years, really, judging by our outside door hardware, porch lights, etc. on the stick house.
Aah, but you're not in Corpus. Being near salt water in the Pacific Northwest couldn't be more different from what the Texas gulf coast dishes out.

The salt air in Corpus has destroyed more of our household electronics than I care to remember, plus the water pump, radiator, and Motosat dish. We have a desk that has three computer monitors on it, side by side. The monitor closest to the window (which is usually open during the day because we're boondocking) has quit working on our last two or three trips down there. Once we get electricity and run the air conditioner for a few days, it comes back to life, but when we go back to boondocking on the beach, it dies again.

We get salt crystal formations in the window tracks--looks like the rock candy on a string I used to make as a kid.

I swear, even plastic rusts down there.

And there's really nothing you can do about it. Obviously, a good washing is in order once you get far away from the coast, but there's just no way to get into all the areas where the salt air will penetrate, much less to protect against the intrusion.

Keeping the windows closed and the air conditioner on 24/7 for humidity control can help keep the damage to the inside of your RV down, but your experience with the rusted swing set is indicative of what will happen to anything exposed to that air.

Before we got the RV, we used to stay in motels in Corpus, and I was always dismayed at how ratty they were--damp carpet, rusted out everything, and some of the rooms were fairly new. But now that I've taken my own rolling motel room down there, I can see why they look like that.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting

That's really interesting, the difference in the salt air damage.

I wonder what accounts for it the increased penetration and corosion??
Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:

Everything is bigger in Texas??
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
According to my Power Gear Manual, if in coastal areas spray jacks with silicone spray.
Don't know if You have Power Gear, but "Just My 2 Cents".
Manual is much more detailed than above comment,
WISHING I WAS IN WARMER CLIMATE
Old 12-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Just a guess. The gulf is warmer so there is more humidity in the air.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
If you can swing it, money-wise, just head over to the nearest Blue Beacon after your beach trip... Some of them even have an undercarriage rinse!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I avoid salt beaches like the plague. I worked too long and hard to have my MH destroyed by it. I talked to an RV repair service that had an RV brought into them with less than 5,000 miles on it but it took $30,000 of parts and labor to replace all the parts in and under that were frozen by rust or almost falling apart. Guy bought it used but never had a service center look at it. Salt water is not your friend.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 12-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #12

I suspect there's some Urban Myth type embellishment by that RV service.

My C Class spent it's first 15 years on a waterfront lot outside of Tampa FL, there's not a speck of rust on it, top or bottom.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #13

We spend lots of time RVing on South Padre, Goose Island , Mustang Island & North Padre Island Natl. Sea Shore. Haven't had any real problems aside from the salty spray crust on the windshield. about half the time we hit a "Frog strangler"( a tropical downpour that forces you to pull over) between the coast & San Antonio. Other times just thorough rinse after getting home.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I suspect there's some Urban Myth type embellishment by that RV service.

My C Class spent it's first 15 years on a waterfront lot outside of Tampa FL, there's not a speck of rust on it, top or bottom.

I don't think it is urban legend that salt water rust metal. This unit was parked full time on the sand so I am not surprised that many things did not work. When it was purchased it was brought tot the shop because it had almost no brakes which it was discovered they were frozen and the rotors were severely rusted and had to be replaced which led to shocks that were frozen and mounts broken, shackles bent, springs almost rusted into. I know the shop and totally believe them and it is not hard to spend a lot of money on these big rigs in a short amount of time which is the main reason I asked; what is the most work your shop has done on a motorhome.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD

Tags
camping