Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Camping for Thanksgiving near Ohio

We wanna take our three children camping over the Thanksgiving school break. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go and what we might do to make it memorable for them? We would consider any of our neighboring states. Any advice is welcome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife is a teacher up near Toledo and we are considering the same thing, using those four days. Many of the Ohio state parks are great and being married to a teacher visiting Indian Mounds State park and Adena mansion as well as other Ohio historical locations might be an idea.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are into crafts, Salt Fork is having their 20th anniversary "After Thanksgiving" craft show.

Here is a link to an Ohio activity guide http://www.exploreyourparks.com/pdfs....OH.031412.pdf

Most Ohio state parks have limited or "walk in" reservations in November.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We're also from the NE Ohio area and have camped 3 times over the Thanksgiving weekend (Thru -Sun) the last 7 years. The biggest problem is most of the Ohio State Parks turn off their water by early Nov. You just have to call around to see who still has it on if you need to fill up with water.

I had to because I didn't like to travel with water, but with our new tt (2013 Aerolite hybrid) and a WD hitch I can handle more weight.

Last year we did Findley SP. and had a super weekend....some friends joined us from PA. for the weekend. Beware of Punderson SP. who does have a showerhouse that stays open all year, but the electric 20 amp service is very poor. The breakers kept tripping at the box.

I like to hit Findley at the end of Oct for the last of the fall colors
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great place to start

Thanks to all! Your suggestions are very helpful and we will consider each one. Incidentally, does anyone want to share their camping turkey day menu?
Kelly Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

I live in Central Ohio. John Bryant State Park is a nice park. That is near Springfield, Oh. We like Mohican State Park. The Whole are of Mohican is really nice. We are actually going to Pigeon Forge for Thanksgiving. We are staying at a campground called Up the creek. I am having a roast for my husband (he doesn't like turkey). I will make mashed potatoes, and gravy. I will take my homemade canned green beans. The leftover roast I will cut up and make stew and cook that in my dutch oven all day so when ever we want to eat it we can. I am thinking of getting a small turkey loin and cook that for me. I will probably take some stove top since I am the only one who likes it. It is just my husband and I camping. Taco soup in a dutch oven simmering for hours is a very simple relaxing meal too.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That sounds really nice! Would you mind sharing your recipe for taco soup? And do you use the oven in your RV? I tried to bake biscuits and they burned terribly fast.

Also, when you stayed at Mohican did you have a full hook up? We wee having trouble finding a campground in that area with one.

Thank you so much for sharing!!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, Mohican State Park has about 30 - 35 full service sites. But, they fill up rather fast especially for the summer months....I'm looking for a 7-9 night stay there next summer...Here is a few pics from Mohican from 11' & 12' Mohican

We were all set to go camping this weekend until they changed the forecast. The original forecast was for upper 40's to mid 50's all weekend. Monday (11-19) they changed it to snow coming in Friday and Saturday. I just looked outside and the ground is semi-covered in snow up here in Northern Ohio. It's official, the camping season is over.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #9

This week was the first time I used the oven. I baked green bean casserole in it with the rolls. Normally I do everything over the campfire. My taco soup recipe is very simple 1-2 pounds ground beef, 1 can each of kidney, black, and white beans, tomato (petite diced), corn, 1 envelope of taco seasoning and 1 envelope of dry ranch mix (hidden valley). I throw it all in the dutch oven (last time I put coals on the lid and under and it cooked really well). My hubby was energetic with his fire so the fire was going really strong and after 15 min it was completely burned . Good thing there is a pizza joint down the road
There is also a campground called Mohican adventures that is really nice. They have full hook ups and have a lot of things for the children and they also have a canoe livery across the street from their place which is next door to the state park.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhands4God View Post
There is also a campground called Mohican adventures that is really nice. They have full hook ups and have a lot of things for the children and they also have a canoe livery across the street from their place which is next door to the state park.
Canoeing in Ohio in November isn't for wimps.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #11

Point taken sorry, I was just thinking about what I did in the summer sorry
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, we had a decent week in Cincinnati. The travel there was a little hairy getting through Columbus, but the route home was a piece of cake. The campsite at Winton Woods was very nice, but the neglected to tell everyone that they were winterizing the water pumps and we had to fill up our own tank (for the first time). Not too happy about that. Made us nervous about how much we were using, so we went on high conservation alert and did whatever we could in the showerhouse, which was a real bummer.

The weather was really great until Saturday and then it got a little cold, but the fire was great and we could sit out there most of the time if the wind cooperated. We made a beer can chicken instead of a turkey and my husband set it on fire, but it was still good and yielded enough for shredded chicken sandwiches for another day.

I love the taco soup recipe! We would like to start making more camp-specific food when we vacation as opposed to the normal grilled fare one can have at home.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! I hope the weather cooperates next year and we can try a different campground.

Tags
camping