Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Camping in Canada

This is my first trip to Canada in a motorhome. As I was looking at campgrounds in Ontario, I saw a need for a "camping permit." Not sure what this is or is it just needed for camping outside of a park. Thanks for the help.
5inaBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
The National Parks have a fee...I've attached a link for info..Parks Canada - Parks Canada - List of Fees
As for Ontario..I'm not sure if there are entry fees ..... there are for camping and I've attached the following link for info...Fees
Have a great time travelling in Canada....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

Great help. Thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I think the "permit" being referred to is your nightly fee in a campground. This would apply to Provincial Parks as well. There may be additional fees for entry into National Parks. It depends somewhat on the park in question. Some you have to pay to drive through, others you don't.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
I think the "permit" being referred to is your nightly fee in a campground. This would apply to Provincial Parks as well.
He has it in one.

There is one fee to get into the park, a day use only sort of thing, but a different 'permit' is required to stay overnight.

We have a rule up here, the Goobermint is not allowed to be clear with anything, if it's not confusing people don't believe its actually the Goobermint.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I am not so sure things are any clearer in the lower 48. Perhaps I am just use to the lingo.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #7

No problems.

Whereabouts are you headed for? If it's anywhere close I'd be happy to give you a few pointers.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #8

We plan to come from Rochester to Ottawa then to Montreal then Quebec.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #9

Not sure where you saw the permit thing, but if you are staying at the Ottawa Municipal Campground you pay when you enter and they give you a "permit" that you put in your window to show that you have paid to stay there. You show this when you enter the park on your day trips.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #10

We did a Lake Superior Circle tour with a long side trip to Winnipeg last summer. Found the Canadian Provincial Parks expensive and not very MH friendly. We found nicer and less expensive campgrounds quite plentiful.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Is there a web site you recommend for campgrounds for Canada that would be MH friendly and less expensive?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #12

A few years back the Province of Ontario handed the management of Provincial Parks over to a private company. The prices went up, the service went down.

I couldn't believe even the Goobermint could think a public park system should show a profit!

However, the parks are still in beautiful areas, the scenery is still the same.

If you're going south around the lake and taking I-81 and crossing at Alexandra, there's a nice place just west of Watertown, Association Island RV Resort and Marina. Pricey, but nice and right on the lake.

Just north of that there's lots of parks, State, Provincial & private in the 1,000 Islands region.

There's also a lot of places 1/2 way from the border to Ottawa, along the Rideau River system.

There isn't too many campgrounds in Ottawa, but several just south of the city. If you get a chance to either stay in, or detour through the Gatineau Hills north of the river in Quebec it's really pretty countryside.

Enjoy the trip!

Tags
camping