Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can tell you there are a number of Core of Engineer parks in the North Georgia - Upstate SC area. I've only visited one so far (Twin Lakes, Pendelton SC) but I'm going back to it Sunday.

IF you are old enough, or otherwise qualified for one of the interagency passes like the Golden Age pass (Which my wife has) the 50% off on parking is very very very very nice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I can tell you there are a number of Core of Engineer parks in the North Georgia - Upstate SC area. I've only visited one so far (Twin Lakes, Pendelton SC) but I'm going back to it Sunday.

IF you are old enough, or otherwise qualified for one of the interagency passes like the Golden Age pass (Which my wife has) the 50% off on parking is very very very very nice.
I've camped in a number of them in Georgia and have friends who have camped in other states. Here's a list for http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...y.cfm?State=GA.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
The COE parks around Lake Lanier are all breath taking.
Plan ahead, Weekends fill up a month in advance.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafiaman View Post
$5 per nite per pet! Do they walk'm for you?
This place has more attached fees than my dog has fleas.

$10 Conservation fee per site per stay.
$5 per day for each person/kid over the limit of 2 adults & 2 children.
There may be more but after the dog fees, conservation fee & guest fee I gave up.

No thanks,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
This place has more attached fees than my dog has fleas.

$10 Conservation fee per site per stay.
$5 per day for each person/kid over the limit of 2 adults & 2 children.
There may be more but after the dog fees, conservation fee & guest fee I gave up.

No thanks,
Jon
Seeing your lab reminds me of my Lizzie. I lost her a year ago New Year's eve. Still miss her and always will. Labs are great dogs.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan View Post
Amicalola Falls is a pretty nice park and also the start of the famous Appalachian approach trail to Springer Mountain. Most of the Thru hikers start their hikes February or March .. by April there's not many that haven't already left. Nice water falls and hiking trails.

Love North Georgia !

Amicalola falls is a very nice park but I would hesitate to camp there. The drive up to the campground is VERY steep and twisty. It would definitely be a white knuckle drive and you would want to make sure your brakes are in perfect working order. I live ~45 minutes from there and it is one of the destinations I take my motorhome for its monthly winter workout. However I park at the bottom of the hill and walk the trails that are easy to access from there versus going up to the lodge and campground. In the winter I haven't had any issues parking across several normal spots but that could be quite difficult on summer weekends.

As also mentioned, Lake Lanier does have some very nice campgrounds. Old Federal and Bald Ridge are both COE campgrounds that I have been to and would recommend to anyone. They both have sites on the water that give you nice views and easy access to the water.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusion View Post
Amicalola falls is a very nice park but I would hesitate to camp there. The drive up to the campground is VERY steep and twisty.
Oh, right you are, Confusion. I can recall telling my husband that I read that there was a 25% grade to the campground. He thought that that couldn't be. We took a ride up, and sure enough it's 25%-sign says so. We had camped there years before in a tent so we weren't thinking of such things at that time. I think the only other park he wouldn't take a motorhome up was Black Rock. I've been up to Ft. Mountain a few times and had no trouble though there's a long hill with a great view leading to the campground.

Dylan, I think those are the only three I wouldn't do on my first trip out. Don't want to discourage you on your first outing. Again, I'd look at the Georgia State Parks site and make your decision. http://www.gastateparks.org/ You can read about each park, it's amenities, and see they have photo galleries.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
dylan for your 2 nights w/o hookups try Lake Winfield Scott a fine little NFS campgrd. There is a small stocked lake, hot showers, and several trails. We have found some of our favorites just out exploring. Have fun.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
Oh, this conversation makes me want to hitch up and go so badly!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
We like River Vista (as well as other locations in N Georgia) at Dillard. It is on the Highlands NC highway about 1 mile off US 441 just above Dillard. Great base for anything in the N Ga / western NC area
We also stayed at River Vista. Great place. In Oct. there was free fire wood at the community fire pit. Also I agree the Tallulah Falls/George area is well worth the visit. We bought a few tee shirts and hats ( my DW's name is Tallulah ). Lastly eat at the Dillard House. We each ate a huge meal and took home leftovers for two more meals each

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Well shucks and willikers...if Boondockin is your desire why not drive the RV to the sites that attract ya during the day and at night "park" at the WalMart in Ellijay. Be courteous, no dumpin, no permanent looking setup, just a place to park and sleep, and do SHOP for all your supplies at a great store! Just a thought.