Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

Camping in N. Georgia

My wife and I are new to RV'ing. We have a week off in April and are looking for advise on where to camp in N.Ga. Our MH is a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. We're open to any and all suggestions. Would even consider boondocking! Please send any info you have. Pics and links would be great!!!
Thanks!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

Moccasin Creek State Park on Lake Burton is my vote. Nearby fish hatchery for the kids, Mark of the Potter for the adults. The lake is stocked so fishing is good and, if you are adventurous there is the trail over 'Pig Pen Ridge' and if you do it right and find the lookout point you get a beautiful view of the lake. And when it's warm, and it's still 'open' there is Sliding Rock on Moccasin Creek.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’

thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Dylan:

Blue Ridge, Blue Ridge, Blue Ridge... it is a place from the 1980's in charm and southern hospitality. Super friendly townsfolk very used to "entertaining" out-of-towners. Are you looking for rustic/campground, out of the way place, or the modern RV Park with full accomidations??? If you enjoy fishing, fly fishing or water Blue Ridge is without equal this side of the Great Divide !
Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

UNICOI campground near Helen Georgia is a favorite of mine. Helen is a cheesy German style town that is a few miles from the campground. If you like to fish there is a like within walking distance of the campground that has some good fishing as well. Tallulah Falls campground is nearby so I would recommend splitting time between the two. Tallulah Gorge is beautiful and has some great walking trails as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #5

I'm totally open to rustic or full set up. We have a roaming satellite dish, but the sat. box isn't connected, and we have no knowledge on setting it up or getting it to work. Everything else is in good shape!
Would love to find a place to "dry camp" for a day or two, and then on to a camp ground...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
We like River Vista (as well as other locations in N Georgia) at Dillard. It is on the Highlands NC highway about 1 mile off US 441 just above Dillard. Great base for anything in the N Ga / western NC area
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #7

"Tallulah Gorge is beautiful and has some great walking trails as well. "

You get one hell of a good workout taking the trail that crosses the gorge. Forgot how many steps, but it was a lot of them. Great for the buns

You can't go wrong with the GA State Parks. They have some of the best campgrounds in the country. Senior discount for 62+. Get the annual park pass.

Bob
Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
You can't go wrong with the GA State Parks. They have some of the best campgrounds in the country. Senior discount for 62+. Get the annual park pass.Bob
Bob, I couldn't agree more about Georgia State Parks. I have camped in all but one of them from north to south and east to west. Have a great time. You can look at each park on this site, and then decide which one to visit first! http://www.gastateparks.org/
Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #9

Amicalola Falls is a pretty nice park and also the start of the famous Appalachian approach trail to Springer Mountain. Most of the Thru hikers start their hikes February or March .. by April there's not many that haven't already left. Nice water falls and hiking trails.

Love North Georgia !
Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
"Tallulah Gorge is beautiful and has some great walking trails as well. "

You get one hell of a good workout taking the trail that crosses the gorge. Forgot how many steps, but it was a lot of them. Great for the buns

You can't go wrong with the GA State Parks. They have some of the best campgrounds in the country. Senior discount for 62+. Get the annual park pass.

Bob
I totally agree! Get the Ga park book. There are a bunch of state parks in N. Ga. Most have water and elec hook up and a dump station. Best deal in Ga. They also take reservation on the internet. Enjoy your stay.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Enota : Enota - North Georgia Retreat Center - Cabins, RV Sites, Spa, Wellness Center Helen, Hiawassee This is a great place just off 180 near the entrance to Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Ga. No TV but you do get wifi.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
Enota : Enota - North Georgia Retreat Center - Cabins, RV Sites, Spa, Wellness Center Helen, Hiawassee This is a great place just off 180 near the entrance to Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Ga. No TV but you do get wifi.
$5 per nite per pet! Do they walk'm for you?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafiaman View Post
$5 per nite per pet! Do they walk'm for you?
Virginia State Parks charge $5 per pet; maybe more, now. I camped with a group for two weeks when I had two dogs. I ALWAYS pick up after my pups, but that argument didn't cut it. I don't want to start a dispute, but it makes me wonder why the extra charge since they don't use any of the amenities including electricity, showers, etc., and they don't throw butts in the campsites. As a matter of fact, my dogs would have left the bathrooms cleaner than the people camping did. It was especially expensive since the normal rate included two people and most of us were solos.

What the state should do is keep an eye out for irresponsible owners and make them leave or fine them; they'd either make revenue or they'd have a very clean park.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
We love it at Trackrock Campground near Blairsville. It is very pet friendly, has full hookups, wi-fi, lake, hiking trails, horseback riding, shaded sites. Check it out at http://www.Trackrock.com.

JohnJoanW is offline   Reply With Quote