Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Camping in Western Pennsylvania

We will be in the Western Pennsylvania area this summer and would like any information anyone may have on camp sites in and around the Pittsburgh, South Park and Washington County areas. If any one has information to share about this area we would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you
Jim
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
friends stayed at raccoon lake camp ground they said it was nice
Tys03beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #3

Personally never been out there but try a federal or state park.

Recreation.gov

Pensylvania State Parks
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We like Raccoon Creek St. Pk. Electric only but a nice state park. See my review & my photos.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
We will be in the Western Pennsylvania area this summer and would like any information anyone may have on camp sites in and around the Pittsburgh, South Park and Washington County areas. If any one has information to share about this area we would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you
Jim
We are originally from Pittsburgh, and there really isn't much in the way of campgrounds in that area. We used to go to Ohio most of the time to camp. Raccoon SP is about the closest (southwest of the city), and there is Keystone SP to the east of Pittsburgh near New Alexandria. There are also a few private campgrounds north of Pittsburgh; but they are quite far to the north, and you seem to indicate you want to stay south of the city.

HERE is a list of campgrounds in Washington and Greene Counties (south of Pittsburgh). I am unfamiliar with most of the campgrounds on the list.

We did stay at Whispering Pines years and years ago, and I don't remember anything about it.

We also stayed at Pine Cove Beach Club in 2007. As I recall, it was decent campground. However, they have a large, public swimming pool (click "Home" or "The Pool" to see it). It could be a bit noisy in summer, although the pool could be a plus if you're traveling with kids. We were there in the fall when the pool was closed.

There is also a KOA in Washington, PA, but I don't recommend it unless you are very heavy sleepers. It is right at the junction of I-70 and I-79, so there is a LOT of traffic noise all day and all night.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For about the last 15 out of 17 years we have spent a week at Laurel Hill State Park about an hour SE. of Pittsburgh. If your looking for a quite park, peaceful, great beach, hiking...Laurel Hill is your place...You are in the middle of the Laurel Highlands area about 10 or 15 minutes off the T-pike between Donegal & Somerset exit.

You have Kennywood or Idlewild Amusement Parks about 45 minutes away each. You have 7-Springs ski resort just down the road with many summer activities. The lake at Laurel Hill is one of the nicest of any state park beach we have camped at. They have about 230 sites, with about 3/4 that have electric. Most have paved pads except the lower loop that allows pets. That loop has grass pads only. During the week there might be only 15 RVers there. On the weekends it might get 2/3ers filled at most. Most sites are shady and level even thou it is a very hilly area.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #7

I can recommend Yogi Bear at Mill Run, Pa. Has a nice waterpark for the kids. Lots of activities for children. I stayed at Pine Cove also. It was nice but no trees. I like feeling woodsy!! We are members of Roaring Run Resort in Champion, Pa. (close to the turnpike), but I think you have to have a Coast to Coast, ROD, or AOR membership to stay there.
judypupek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you for all the input. We will be spending some time in and around South Park and Washington County visiting relatives and wondered if anyone has stayed at the KOA Campground in Washington County?
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
Thank you for all the input. We will be spending some time in and around South Park and Washington County visiting relatives and wondered if anyone has stayed at the KOA Campground in Washington County?
Paul mentioned it in his previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
There is also a KOA in Washington, PA, but I don't recommend it unless you are very heavy sleepers. It is right at the junction of I-70 and I-79, so there is a LOT of traffic noise all day and all night.
Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping