Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #1

Camping locations for the next six weeks

I've got access to the usual suspects - Campendium, Allstays, Days End, etc, but looking for first hand suggestions along our route. We like boondocking, but aren't opposed to parks/campgrounds at all:

Joshua Tree - Where?

Lake Havasu - Planning on state park - good?

Las Vegas - Hoping for Nellis AFB, but not taking reservations - alternates if they are full?

Mt Zion - Suggestions

Grand Canyon, South - Suggestions? Want to hike to the bottom, maybe another.

Skull Valley, AZ - Probably at friends property

Mesa, AZ - Suggestions?

Deming, NM - Just an overnight, open to suggestions in the area

Carlsbad Caverns - Suggestions?

Sonora, TX - Just an overnight, open to suggestions in the area

Austin, TX - La Hacienda RV Resort

New Orleans, LA - Suggestions, flexible

Pensacola, FL - Oak Grove Park, NAS

Thanks!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #2

For Vegas, we loved boondocking on Lake Mead at Stewart's Point:
https://youtu.be/7YP_iMytzBU
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #3

Deming

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/cit...statepark.html

quiet park with lava flows only found in six places in the world

Faywood Hotsprings Resort – Oasis in The Desert

PA park with really nice hot springs
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #4

Also in Deming NM is Dreamcatcher RV Park just off I-10. It is an Escapee owned park but is open to non members. All spaces are pull thru full hookup for about $20 to $25 a night. It is good for an overnight stop and you don't have to unhook the toad. They also have a boondocking area for $5.00 which give you use of the showers, laundry room and dump station if needed.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #5

Gonna be cold at the South Rim this time of year. Hiking down to Phantom Ranch is a long walk. Not tough until you turn around to head back up. I did an overnight to Indian Gardens 40+ years ago, its a wonderful hike.
There just aren't words to describe Carlsbad. Plan on two days at least. There are several 'tours' to take, self-guided, but to different parts of the cave. Awsome! We stayed at a KOA just north of the town of Carlsbad, I think there is an Escapees park nearby also.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Las Vegas - We haven't stayed here, yet. We'll probably check it out this year. Clark County Gun Range RC camp. Bring your rifle and 9mm.

Mesa, AZ - We stay on the west side of Phoenix, White Tank Mountain county park, full hookups, isolated, quite, Excellent views toward Phoenix. We spend a couple weeks there every year. We love spot #1, right at the front with beautiful view.

Deming, NM - We stay at the Low-HI, They accept Passport. About 3 miles south of I-10. Very quite,

Sonora, TX - Caverns at Sonora, They accept Passport, Very nice, very isolated, very quite. We stopped for an overnight and ended up staying a couple days. The deer come right up to the MH in the morning
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #7

This is why I stick around here! Everybody around here has so much information to share!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and input. Looks like a couple of my overnights may extend a little, as you have provided things to do there - at first look, some places just look like a dot on a map, nothing to do.

Should I be particularly worried about running into snow on the first half of the trip, barring a winter storm?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
In LV the Hitchin' Post is good and near Nellis.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #9

If you decide to look around in Deming, be sure to go to the Deming Luna County Museum. fascinating place with the second largest collection of Mimbres pottery in the US. I was born in Las Cruces and am currently camp hosting at the City of Rocks.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
This is why I stick around here! Everybody around here has so much information to share!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and input. Looks like a couple of my overnights may extend a little, as you have provided things to do there - at first look, some places just look like a dot on a map, nothing to do.

Should I be particularly worried about running into snow on the first half of the trip, barring a winter storm?
About 15 years ago we were at the South rim for Thanksgiving and had about 6 inches of snow.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #11

Pensacola, I recall reading a review of the Oak Grove CG that it really wasn't very nice, but it seems to get a lot of five star reviews. When Ft Pickens opens back up, that is my preference, but since it is closed co-worker/wife in their TT and myself in my motorhome, stayed at Big Lagoon State Park in late October.

Pickens is cheap if you are age 62 and have the America the Beautiful Senior Pass. Big Lagoon is $20 a night for power and water, and nice shower houses.

Charles
Old 12-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Comments on the ones I know something about.

Joshua Tree - We love Belle campground in the park itself. Nice big sites were available. Dry camping only.

Lake Havasu - Planning on state park - good? Good.

Las Vegas - Hoping for Nellis AFB, but not taking reservations - alternates if they are full? Valley of Fire State Park isn’t too far away. Willow Beach is a wonderful place on the Arizon side of the Colorado River about 30-45 minutes from the dam. Absolutely lovely place, and you can catch a raft trip upriver to the dam.

Mt Zion Do you mean Zion National Park? If so try to stay at Watchman campground in the park. Has some big sites, some with electricity. Reservations needed.

Grand Canyon, South - Mather campground has huge sites without hookups. It is our favorite place to camp. The trailer village has full hookups but is a parking lot. Reservations are mandatory for both. Be careful on the trip to the Canyon bottom. It is much worse coming up. Get a reservation for staying at Bright Angel overnight.

Carlsbad Caverns - I don’t like any of the nearby sites, but you aren’t there for the camping anyway. The state park by the lake is probably the best.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Comments on the ones I know something about.

Joshua Tree - We love Belle campground in the park itself. Nice big sites were available. Dry camping only.

Lake Havasu - Planning on state park - good? Good.

Las Vegas - Hoping for Nellis AFB, but not taking reservations - alternates if they are full? Valley of Fire State Park isn’t too far away. Willow Beach is a wonderful place on the Arizon side of the Colorado River about 30-45 minutes from the dam. Absolutely lovely place, and you can catch a raft trip upriver to the dam.

Mt Zion Do you mean Zion National Park? If so try to stay at Watchman campground in the park. Has some big sites, some with electricity. Reservations needed.

Grand Canyon, South - Mather campground has huge sites without hookups. It is our favorite place to camp. The trailer village has full hookups but is a parking lot. Reservations are mandatory for both. Be careful on the trip to the Canyon bottom. It is much worse coming up. Get a reservation for staying at Bright Angel overnight.

Carlsbad Caverns - I don’t like any of the nearby sites, but you aren’t there for the camping anyway. The state park by the lake is probably the best.
Awesome, thanks for the info! Yes, Zion National Park - not sure where I got the Mt portion of it, but that park.

We're fairly young and healthy, and will probably do day hiking, so I don't anticipate any issues hiking - Not sure if the dog would like a long stay in the kennel. I see that the NPS says don't plan down and back in one day - are there any paths that are even feasible for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Pensacola, I recall reading a review of the Oak Grove CG that it really wasn't very nice, but it seems to get a lot of five star reviews. When Ft Pickens opens back up, that is my preference, but since it is closed co-worker/wife in their TT and myself in my motorhome, stayed at Big Lagoon State Park in late October.

Pickens is cheap if you are age 62 and have the America the Beautiful Senior Pass. Big Lagoon is $20 a night for power and water, and nice shower houses.

Charles
We enjoy our stays in Oak Grove. It was pretty nice, decent service, it's on the beach, and close to all base amenities, which is a bonus for us when staying long term. Also close to everything we need access too. Big Lagoon isn't as convenient for us, and Oak Grove gives us full hookups plus cable for a couple dollars a day more.

Most of the time I'm in Pensacola, I'm working a contract gig in addition to my full time employment, so convenience and location is really important When working 16 hours a day, every minute counts!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #14

Hmmm....looking at the weather data for December around the Grand Canyon....looks like it's a play it by ear deal for going! We'll have to see what it looks like, then make our decision closer to the date. Not sure how excited I am about the possibility of 20 degrees. I've got tank heaters and double paned windows, but still....

Tags
camping, cat