Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
BARBARA S: I completely understand, and would in the campground also. Especially if I was outside and you simply asked if you could cut through. I don't need a reason, the fact that you ask, tells me you are not an interloper. You see that is what I would do before cutting through your lot. I understand your problem, as I have severe back problems and cannot walk a long way, especially if it is not necessary.

Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
Originally posted by Homer: Hope we meet you on the road some time.
Me, too. Let me know if you are ever in Virginia!

2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ
1999 American Cruiser RE2000
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #17
Camping manners have changed significantly over the years - 25 years ago we'd get invited into neighbor's campsites and we'd invite others into ours for a beer or conversation. Now we can pass other campers walking through the campground and many don't even say hello anymore. Folks cut through our campsite repeatedly, make noise at all hours and have off leash dogs that run through the campground. We camped next door to some folks from BC 10 years ago for a week in Lake Havasu who wouldn't even exchange a hello or good morning the whole time we were there.
It's the times we live in. Many folks are totally consumed with themselves and have either indifference or dislike for others nearby.
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/500/combined.jpg27 FK Alumascape TT
Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Mom and Dad made it clear what was expected of us at the campground. Any deviation from the rules was dealt with quickly.

Today, we are dealing with individuals who did not grow up around the campsite and believe the entire campground is for their private use. Bailey has been attacked numerous times by uncontrolled dogs and many of the owners have vivid memories of the angry biker.

As a life-long rider, I see the same thing as a new generation of old and young riders, with zero experience drive up my insurance rates due to their carelessness and/or ignorance.
Thomas & Betty w/Bailey & Gypsy (our fur-bearing masters)
07 Bounder 35e (F53)
07 Nissan Frontier or 2010 FLSTC toad
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #19
Well in general the good old USA has become a land of me first so the decline in camping manners just follows the rest of society.
02 F250 PSD
03 Carriage Cameo F27RKS
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
Maybe we don't go camping enough, but I find no problem with cut throughs in our campsite, nor rude neighbors. We have had more friendly ones than others though. I only recall one instance in Naples about 4 years ago, where the guy next to us let his dog poop too close to our site and not clean it up. We were very careful where we put our feet down as the sites were extremely close together. We have been very fortunate to have friendly and considerate campers in the years we've been doing this.
LindaVA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have been very fortunate to have friendly and considerate campers in the years we've been doing this.
Linda, nice post. We agree, for the most part. Now and then you run into a sour apple, but we find most people pretty nice.

The sad thing is that there are some naturally nice people who have just never been taught manners or consideration of any kind, including table, and that makes it tough. Some will learn, some won't.

Cutting through campsites: We only do it when there people there, so that we can ask them, and always end up with some friendly conversation. And we only do it when the alternative is a long way around.

Dogs: Most people are considerate dog owners/lovers, so no rehash here. I have no problem with a dog left alone in a coach, the problem is the one left tied up outside, that barks continually for hours. There is more to the story, but you get the idea.
Ken & Carolee, 1994 36' Pace Arrow/Ford 7.5L, Mobil 1 full syn & Banks Pack. Towing a 1999 Saturn SL2 with Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain & Brake Buddy.
blacktie.shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
For the most part we haven't had problems with neighbors in an RV park or campground.

Two exceptions come to mind, however:

1) We were at an RV park in Glasgow, MT and had gone to bed for the night. Sometime after we'd gotten to sleep (maybe around 11 PM), a family with kids and dogs proceeded to move in next door. Instead of just quietly going inside to bed, saving the hooking up until the morning, they proceeded to set up, going in and out of their RV dozens of times, slamming the door each time. And, of course, they had to talk to each other in loud voices...and the dogs were barking.

2) At Colter Bay Campground in Grand Teton NP, we were parked across the road from two couples traveling together in diesel pushers. Neither had a toad with them, so they went out site seeing in one of the rigs. When they came back around midnight, they let the engine run for maybe 10 or 15 minutes instead of immediately turning it off. And then the person whose rig had been left behind proceeded to turn on his generator to "charge his batteries" (as I was told when I opened up the bedroom window and asked when he was going to turn his #@%& generator off).
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #23
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I had a family come in next to me about midnight Friday night. I heard them hooking everything up, but they did not talk loudly or slam doors. I have no problem with them hooking up as long as they do it in this manner.
Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, most people are nice and are considerate of other campers...but that few that are not,are very annoying.

I have had to inform more than one or two over the years that the campground has quiet hours which apply to everyone. One fellow had the nerve to tell me that they need to put up a big sign noting that little fact. It was on a rules board outside the office as well on the rules provided on his site map.

The people the need to read the most..read the least.

When we come in late, I will do just enough the get reasonably level, water and electric. The rest can wait until the next morning.

As for idling his engine for 15 minutes after returning, it was cool enough after he came in off the road and drove to his site to just shut it down.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote