Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately we have cities like Camden and the Newark area that most people think as New Jersey. We live in the northwest part of the state where agrilculture is still around. If you are going through make sure to stop by Hunterdon, Warren, Sussex and Morris counties.

Skylands Visitor Webpage

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We've been to the Delaware Water Gap and up by Port Jervis, I've seen the beauty New Jersey has to offer, I guess that's why it didn't occur to me that it would be so bad by Camden. LOL thanks again for your help.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
only camp in Camden if your machine gun turrets provide 360 degree coverage for your RV.

The only way I'd spend a night in Camden is if the hearse carrying my body broke down.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Anecdote ref Camden

New Jersey not that bad

Jack was sitting in an airplane when another guy took the seat beside him.
The new guy was a wreck, pale, hands shaking, moaning in fear.
"Hey what's the matter?" Jack asked.

"Oh man. I've been transferred to New Jersey," the other guy
answered.
"There's crazy people in New Jersey. They have shootings, gangs,
race, riots, drugs, the highest crime rate."

"Hold on," Jack interrupted. "I've lived in New Jersey all my life.
It is not as bad as the media says. Find a nice home, go to work, mind
your own business, enroll your kids in a good school and it's as safe as
anywhere in the world."

The other passenger relaxed and stopped shaking for a moment and said,
"Oh, thank you. I've been worried to death. But if you live there
and say it's OK, I'll take your word for it. What do you do for a
living?"

"Me?" said Jack. "I'm a tail gunner on a Coca-Cola truck in Camden."
Old 07-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We decided to stay in Bass River, it's not that far away. We're going in a few weeks.

Hopefully no one has anything bad to say about Bass River too. We like state parks, forests and the more primitive campgrounds.

Defiantly not camping near Camden. LOL
Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
GG1. LOL.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr443 View Post
We decided to stay in Bass River, it's not that far away. We're going in a few weeks.

Hopefully no one has anything bad to say about Bass River too. We like state parks, forests and the more primitive campgrounds.

Defiantly not camping near Camden. LOL
Bass River is 1 hour and 25 minute ride from Camden.
We live 10 miles from Camden in semi rural farm country.There is a commercial campground nearby which is 15 minutes from downtown Philadelphia. I have read most of the posts here about Camden and I can tell you many who have commented have never been there. Like any large city it has the seedy areas, but also has The Battleship NJ, Susquehanna Bank Amphitheater, Adventure Aquarium, Camden Riversharks Atlantic league Baseball Stadium,and the Camden Childrens Garden, all along the Delaware River in downtown Camden. We have been the most all of them several times and are still alive and healthy.
Bass River is a nice natural camping area within close proximity to the NJ Atlantic shore areas. Wish you well on your trip but remember, some posters clearly tend to exaggerate what they may or may not have seen for themselves.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Bass River is 1 hour and 25 minute ride from Camden.
We live 10 miles from Camden in semi rural farm country.There is a commercial campground nearby which is 15 minutes from downtown Philadelphia. I have read most of the posts here about Camden and I can tell you many who have commented have never been there. Like any large city it has the seedy areas, but also has The Battleship NJ, Susquehanna Bank Amphitheater, Adventure Aquarium, Camden Riversharks Atlantic league Baseball Stadium,and the Camden Childrens Garden, all along the Delaware River in downtown Camden. We have been the most all of them several times and are still alive and healthy.
Bass River is a nice natural camping area within close proximity to the NJ Atlantic shore areas. Wish you well on your trip but remember, some posters clearly tend to exaggerate what they may or may not have seen for themselves.
I live in eastern PA and use to drive tractor trailer for a living. I delivered many loads in NJ, and Camden in particular. I agree that Camden has some tourist attractions, much like Detroit. But the issue comes in the fact that Camden has the highest crime rate of any city in the U.S.
Although once a thriving center for manufacturing and industry, Camden is perhaps best known for its struggles with urban dysfunction. Three Camden mayors have been jailed for corruption, the most recent being Milton Milan in 2000. [17] Since 2005 the school system and police department have been operated by the State of New Jersey; the takeover will expire in 2012. In 2008, Camden had the highest crime rate in the U.S. with 2,333 violent crimes per 100,000 people while the national average was 455 per 100,000. [18] Camden public schools spend $17,000 per student per year and two thirds of the students graduate. Two out of every five residents are below the national poverty line. for its struggles with urban dysfunction. Three Camden mayors have been jailed for corruption, the most recent being Milton Milan in 2000. [17] Since 2005 the school system and police department have been operated by the State of New Jersey; the takeover will expire in 2012. In 2008, Camden had the highest crime rate in the U.S. with 2,333 violent crimes per 100,000 people while the national average was 455 per 100,000. [18] Camden public schools spend $17,000 per student per year and two thirds of the students graduate. Two out of every five residents are below the national poverty line- from Wiki.
They didn't earn that distinction by accident. My best advice to anyone on here is to avoid the city entirely unless you feel that crime only happens to someone else. I personally would not live in NJ due to their ridiculous tax rates, high auto insurance rates, inflated property costs, and the nearly impossible chance of carrying a concealed weapon. Other than the reasons I listed, NJ is a wonderful state.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
The Battleship NJ, Susquehanna Bank Amphitheater, Adventure Aquarium, Camden Riversharks Atlantic league Baseball Stadium,and the Camden Childrens Garden, all along the Delaware River in downtown Camden. We have been the most all of them several times and are still alive and healthy.
We live in Mexico during the winter. Getting to a concert or visiting the small area mentioned above is WAY more scary! That is from a lifelong Jersey couple. Stay with the crowd friend.

And no, we will not bring the Motorhome to tailgate at the Jimmy Buffett concert next month even if you give us free tickets.

Tags
camping