Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

camping near NY city.

We are traveling across the country and will be visiting the New York City area. I don't want to drive through the city with my 32 ft. 5th wheel. Anyone know of a nice town outside the city with an rv park so we can take a train into Manhattan easily??
pbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

Liberty Harbor Marina RV Park seems to Fit your criteria.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Check out Libertyharbor RV Park. It is across the river from Manhattan. You can take a ferry from the RV to Manhattan or bus or train to subway then into NYC. Not necessarilly the nicest RV park I've ever been in but it is close and convenient. We stayed there a couple of years ago and have reservations to stay there again.
Bob
Liberty Harbor Marina RV PARK: closest to Manhattan and New York City Area
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Croton Point Park has camping right on the Hudson River and is walking distance to the train station. 40 minutes to the city. It's a beautiful area, check out Van Courtland Manor.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog
Check out Libertyharbor RV Park. It is across the river from Manhattan. You can take a ferry from the RV to Manhattan or bus or train to subway then into NYC. Not necessarilly the nicest RV park I've ever been in but it is close and convenient. We stayed there a couple of years ago and have reservations to stay there again.
Bob
Liberty Harbor Marina RV PARK: closest to Manhattan and New York City Area
We always stay there as well. Be advised , the rate this year $64.20 a night.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Newburg KOA usually has a bus that leaves form their park. Tours are available right there. Well worth the price.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #7

How far away are you willing to stay away from NYC ?

Do you have a vehicle that you can drive a couple of miles to a train station ?

If you are willing to commute less then one hour to NYC you could stay at Mahlon Dickerson Reservation, it is not far off of I-80 by the Mount Arlington train station.

RV Campground Review

We live in the Northern NJ area so drop a note if you have any more questions.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

Croton Point Park is really a nice place. Stayed there last November. Very centrally located to explore the Hudson Valley area. (West Point Military Academy, the Vanderbilt and FDR mansions, the Culinary Institute of America..)
Really nice.......
mrmeriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
you are 100% right, you do not want to take your RV thru town. I would suggest one of the parks they mentioned above and take public transportation.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I just spent four nights at Liberty Harbor RV. I walked about five blocks and took the Path (Port Authority subway) to NYC. The last stop puts you out about 34th street which is about 10 blocks from theaters, times square, etc. We bought a three or four day tour bus pass and you can get on and off at many of the tourist locations. Our pass included Statute of Liberty, Empire State Building, Elllis Island, museums and other places. The pass was (I think) about $85 each and I think worth it. We also did a Broadway play and took the path back to Jersey City at 9:30 or 10 PM and it seemed very safe - unlike the old subway movies. As far as driving I'd hesitate to drive a small car in the city. We came down I-95 and crossed the George Washington Bridge - that was enough traffic to last me a long time!
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #11

Since this thread is so close to what I need, I thought I might ask on here if it's not thread jacking...

I need a site for my TT preferable with full hook-ups for 2 weeks, nothing closer then 40 miles but no more then 100 miles from NYC. Cheap as possible.

Any recommendations?
thanks all.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Since this thread is so close to what I need, I thought I might ask on here if it's not thread jacking...

I need a site for my TT preferable with full hook-ups for 2 weeks, nothing closer then 40 miles but no more then 100 miles from NYC. Cheap as possible.

Any recommendations?
thanks all.
See my post above. I think 14 days is the maximum stay.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you want cheap, try Snow Valley campground in Fishkill NY. Run by bikers but really a nice bunch and the sites are nicely wooded. No extras but convenient and a super WalMart close by for supplys. They are open year round. Just south of I-84 so easy commute to the city but far enough away so you don't hear traffic.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #14

While not as cheap as I hoped for, Green Valley Campgrounds http://greenvalleybeach.com/ is really nice, clean and huge!
thanks for the suggestions, but last night I couldn't get on the www to check and so I justed headed west from NYC and found this place...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote