Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Camping near Parris Island

My daughter just passed MEPS and is now a poolee for the USMC! She's been looking at the armed services for a while now and recently made her decision to go Marine (deep breath Mom and Dad). I am so proud of her, nervous too, but proud.

She doesn't have a date for boot camp yet, but likely November or February. Her recruiting sergeant says he thinks she can be ready for November, no problem. She's in great shape, just needs strength and cardio.

Meanwhile, that means I'll need to find a place to camp for graduation in either early Feb or May. I'm going to guess they fill up quickly. The kicker is we haven't bought the rig yet, but should be in it by November. I do know it will be 37-40' DP, chase car, and back in is fine, so that's the site size we'll need. I see a few on Reserve America, but looking for recommendations. What do you like?
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Parris Island should have a FAMCAMP campground and you may be able to camp there. Technically you daughter is in the military. Maybe the Sergeant can arrange it. Try this link http://www.mccs-sc.com/din-lod/rvpark.shtml
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
Parris Island should have a FAMCAMP campground and you may be able to camp there. Technically you daughter is in the military. Maybe the Sergeant can arrange it. Try this link Parris Island R.V. Park: Marine Corps Community Services, Serving Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island and Marine Corps Air Station, Beaufort
Unless you or someone in your camping party that has a DoD ID card (aka CAC) any base camp ground is not an option. They will have to be physically with you at the front gate and camp ground check as your sponsor.

There are dozens of camp grounds between Savanna, Charleston and east of I95 to choose from. Hilton Head Island has several resort style camp grounds with all the bells and whistles. There are 3 KOAs all within 30 miles of the Island. James Island County Park in Charleston is also an option. Pull up a map in you favorite internet search engine of the area from Savanna to Charleston and do a search for "camp grounds" and you'll find lots to choose from.

Personally I would stay on Hilton Head. It's on my bucket list of places to visit. Nightly fee is a bit high at $70+ a night but the individual camp sites are pretty nice looking. The other question is if you daughter will have post graduation weekend liberty. If so Charleston would be a better choice. A bit more to do and see while James Island is a very nice camp ground with easy access to the city. I've only boon dock in Savanna so can't provide any recommendations other than a Crack Barrel that made for a good overnight rest stop.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 AM   #4

If you don't mind state parks, and can get a spot, Hunting Island State Park is a wonderful place at not too far for Parris Island.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

You could stay near savvanah and drrive to parris island when you need to . It is only about a 90 min drive. So much to do and see in savannah if you arrive a little before gradutation or stay a little later. Skidaway island state park off the top of my headis a state park very close to historic downtown
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
We have stayed at Fam camps before and I would highly recommend them to you if you can get into one
Fordiesel250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #7

Our thanks to your daughter (and mom and dad) for her service to our country.

If you are looking for a nice state park in the Savannah area, we would recommend Skidaway Island State Park. We stayed there earlier this year. It is now one of our favorite state parks.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I called 843 228-7472 Parris Island campground. They will allow parents of graduating Marines make a reservation up to 30 days in advance.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you Kim, I had no idea about the military campground, but I also confirmed that they do allow parents of graduating Marines to stay there. That looks like a great option, and our best bet if we can get in. I also saw Hunting Island, good to hear it's a nice place too. She's just beginning her journey, but wow did she pick an exceptional route. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how things go.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Unless you or someone in your camping party that has a DoD ID card (aka CAC) any base camp ground is not an option. They will have to be physically with you at the front gate and camp ground check as your sponsor.

There are dozens of camp grounds between Savanna, Charleston and east of I95 to choose from. Hilton Head Island has several resort style camp grounds with all the bells and whistles. There are 3 KOAs all within 30 miles of the Island. James Island County Park in Charleston is also an option. Pull up a map in you favorite internet search engine of the area from Savanna to Charleston and do a search for "camp grounds" and you'll find lots to choose from.

Personally I would stay on Hilton Head. It's on my bucket list of places to visit. Nightly fee is a bit high at $70+ a night but the individual camp sites are pretty nice looking. The other question is if you daughter will have post graduation weekend liberty. If so Charleston would be a better choice. A bit more to do and see while James Island is a very nice camp ground with easy access to the city. I've only boon dock in Savanna so can't provide any recommendations other than a Crack Barrel that made for a good overnight rest stop.
Thanks for the ideas. We have family in Charleston and have spent a lot of time there, wonderful city to visit. Hilton Head is on my bucket list too, and as much time as I've spent in Savannah and the GA coast, I've never been there...and it's so close. Definitely worth considering.

Don't think I'll stay anywhere called Crack Barrel tho...
Old 09-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort is indeed exceptional. Only 1 mile from the beach. We own Lot 282 there and have it on the rental program (listed on the irv2 classified section with pictures if you are interested).

And yes, don't even think of overnighting in the Cracker Barrel! Although parking is good if you want to eat there on your way to/from I-95, which we do every trip.

Congratulations to your daughter and thank her and the whole family for your service!
Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just another option. Near Hunting Is is a smaller campgrd called Tuck in the Woods. This one is easier to get into than HI. Half of the HI sites are closed over winter months. Remaining sites will be in demand.
daisylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #13

Grandson just graduated from MCRD Parris Island last week. We are currently at Tuck in the Woods on St. Helena Island. We are here in a 37 ft Winnebago, pulling a Toad. There are several spaces here, near the front of the park, that your future land yacht can use. Spaces to the rear of the park are big enough, maneuvering around the oak trees could get tricky. Rates are $31 a day. We investigated Hunting Island today. Nice, at the beach, may be exposed to weather. about half the sites will be closed this winter for some badly needed maintenance. Sites there are booked through Reserve America. The low numbered sites are near the ocean, get a breeze and are nicer. The high number sites are in among the trees, don't get a breeze and have mosquitos. The roads away from the beach are very tight, trees are very close, and not really suitable (IMHO) for a motorhome over 35 feet. Then there is the reservation system. Almost every site has Friday booked. Just a little trick to keep people from booking over a weekend; and with one day booked, the cancellation time isn't so long. Sort of a dirty trick by people who come here a lot. I think there are two RV parks on Hilton Head, we drove there yesterday. The HH RV Resort is very, very nice. $70-99 a day. Big concrete pads, nice pool, lagoon, tennis, owner/renter system. The other park is at the Harbor, nice enough, about $50 a day. Also about 10 minutes closer to Parris Island. You may make two or three trips to PI. Usual schedule is graduation on Friday, recruit gets 10 days leave immediately after graduation. Thursday is family day, recruit gets 4 hours liberty to visit family on the Depot. Wednesday before graduation they have Family indoctrination, visits to museum, training areas, etc. There is also a RV park called Lake Jennings at I-95 and exit 8. Didn't visit there, but it's about a 30 minute drive to MCRD. Drive time from Hilton Head Harbor and Tuck in the Woods is about the same, 20-25 minutes. Good luck to your recruit.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #14

One correction ...

Said Lake Jennings ... meant Lake Jasper on I-95 and Exit 8 in South Carolina.

Tags
camping