Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #1

Can anybody recommend a campground or Wal-Mart near Pittsburgh. (We are staying in Madison, PA, it is too far away).

Arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #2

Can anybody recommend a campground or Wal-Mart near Pittsburgh. (We are staying in Madison, PA, it is too far away).

Arne

Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

There is a Walmart in Cranberry Township,PA which is in Butler County. Butler County is north of Pittsburgh and a short drive to Pittsburgh.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #4

Thanks.
We are looking at a WalMart on Summit Drive off HWY 30 sslighly SWof Pittsburgh. Do you know anything about it?

Arne

Old 06-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Arne:

For a campground, the Madison KOA is about as close to Pittsburgh as you can get. About the only other campground choices that come to mind are the KOA in Washington, PA and two state parks- Keystone or Raccoon Creek. To me, they're all about the same distance from Pittsburgh and each has its own logistics problems (i.e. construction, accessibility, etc) in reaching the city.

We have a Wal-Mart Superstore (with a Sam's Club closeby) in West Mifflin about 8 miles south of Pittsburgh. However, I can't say I've ever seen any RVs parked there. I have seen trucks parked in the Sam's Club, but no RVs.

Because of the mountainous terrain, Pittsburgh is not an easy town for visitors to navigate. The terrain pretty much dictates how the streets and highways run. Bottlenecks can occur at many of the bridges and all tunnels; especially during "rush hours".

If there's any advice you need during your visit here, post it and I'll help you in any way I can.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
That Wal-Mart on Summit Drive (actually, I think the street name is called Summit Park Drive) is in a shopping area called the Pointe. It would be the next exit after passing the US 22-30 exit on the Parkway West. You want to turn left at the light at the end of the exit ramp, and the Wal-mart is about two lights on your left. You'll pass Sam's Club on your right before you get to the Wal-Mart.

I couldn't tell you if any RVs ever park there as the last time I was in that store was about five years ago.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
There's a new Walmart and Sams Club at Pittsburgh Mills route 28 exit 12A. This is ~8 miles northeast of downtown Pittsburgh. If you park here more than one night move your RV every day.

The closest campground to downtown Pittsburgh is Mountain Top. About 15 miles from downtown. Mountain Top is 3 miles from exit 14 route 28. No electric sites available the week of the 4th because this is the week of their huge bluegrass festival. Before and after the festival there are few there. I was there yesterday to see the campground and I spoke to, Ed Michaels, the owner. MT accepts Passport America and Escapees for a discount.

http://www.mountaintopbluegrass.com/index.htm

-Tom
I live off exit 17

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Tom, I looked at the Mountain Top web site as I never knew about that one. It doesn't indicate any amenities other than a site with water/electric. Do you know what, if any, amenities they have?

BTW- According to Google, it's a little over 17 miles from downtown Pittsburgh to the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
They have a dump station or the owner will pump your tank if you request. He does have 50 amp electric. No rec hall but they do have a couple picnic shelters. Also, they have a huge pile of slab firewood and it is free. The views from Mountain Top are spectacular. The owner told me he mostly gets Passport America users.

The distances I gave must be to the city limits. I did a quick check with MS S&T.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks, Tom.

I wasn't trying to make a federal case out of distance from Pittsburgh, but I drag my TT up and back PA-28 to put it in underground storage for the winter. Living in the South Hills, we are practically downtown when I get on PA-28 from I-579 and it just seemed longer that 8 miles... so I had to check.