Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Camping Near Washington DC

We're planning a visit to DC in May and I'm looking for any help I can find on park suggestions. We have a 40'DP w/toad. My son will be joining us so a place with rentals/park models would be great too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

We stayed for about a week at Cherry Hill last year and it was a great place to stay. Your first afternoon there they have an orientation meeting at 4 to tell you about the sights and how to get around. The city bus stops at the campground. The tour bus stops at the campground. I would highly recommend.

Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stay at Cherry Hill often, in fact we will be there tonight. Nice campground and they have rentals and cabins. With your big rig, make sure they do not give you one of the "tight" spaces. I can barely get in with my 33' MH. Some of the nicest sites are just to the left of the entrance gate.
thepratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
+1 on Cherry Hill.
Pick up the bus at the entrance to the subway station at the college and ride into DC. Very convenient.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks all. Looks like Cherry Hill it is.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Greenbelt state park in Maryland

if you want something a bit more rustic and probably a little less expensive, you could consider Greenbelt state park in Greenbelt, MD. We stayed 4 nights in Feb and enjoyed it very much despite all the snow. Lots of woods and very quiet and a feeling of being remote even though you're only 18 miles from downtown DC. Close to the Metro and grocery stores, etc. We took the Metro in one day and just decided to drive in the next day which was faster.

No hookups though so be prepared for that. May not be everyone's cup of tea.
Robsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Also be aware that Cherry Hill is border on all or 3 sides by major highways so there is some highway noise. That didn't bother us and we enjoyed the convenient location.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnvt View Post
Also be aware that Cherry Hill is border on all or 3 sides by major highways so there is some highway noise. That didn't bother us and we enjoyed the convenient location.
We were there last weekend. I kept wondering what all that noise was. Then I remembered I had new hearing aids.

It was not very crowded except for Sat. night. Neighbor was there for one day to demonstrate against the now passed bill. I do not want to start a political discussion so I will not say which bill.
thepratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We spent a few days camping at a park in Fairfax, Va. It was wonderful, as I recall, but do not remember the name of the campground. If I remember correctly, it might have been a county campground, but I wouldn't swear to it. Just a block or two from the metro station. A great place to visit (Wash. D.C.,that is).

Jim 38' Alpine, FDTS, '00 Saturn wagon.
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heading west out of the DC on Rt 66 and then towards Reston/Herndon/Dulles airport area you might also look at Lake Fairfax county park and campground.

Elec only sites, but this place is in the center of Northern VA. (I used to live a few miles west of here for years.)

Lake Fairfax Park Campgrounds, Fairfax County Park Authority

Tysons Corner shopping, resturants, this was the center of my universe for years and has so much to offer, including rush hour traffic.

Definitely, go out to Dulles Airport and visit the Smithsonian extension of the Air and Space Museum. Huge place and great exhibits. Space shuttle, Concorde, Enola Gay, SR71 and hundreds more.

If it weren't for all the politicians, I might still live there. Just too much hot air and BS.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote