Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Camping New York City (Sort of)

If you like to camp but want to go to the big city, then this is the place to go! Liberty Harbor RV... WE went there and loved it, stayed right across the river from New York City. The only place you can step out of your RV and see the Statue of Liberty! Walk one block and take the path to downtown or catch the ferry from the campground. We stayed a week for 65.00 a night, a room in the city cost 200-600 a night! If you go you need to make your reservations in advance, only 50 spots. If you have any questions just ask.

Liberty Harbor RV Park

Oh! and bye the way I have nothing to do with the camp ground, I just enjoyed going there...
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I've been there many times. I agree .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
If you like to camp but want to go to the big city, then this is the place to go! Liberty Harbor RV... WE went there and loved it, stayed right across the river from New York City. The only place you can step out of your RV and see the Statue of Liberty! Walk one block and take the path to downtown or catch the ferry from the campground. We stayed a week for 65.00 a night, a room in the city cost 200-600 a night! If you go you need to make your reservations in advance, only 50 spots. If you have any questions just ask. Liberty Harbor RV Park Oh! and bye the way I have nothing to do with the camp ground, I just enjoyed going there...
A note about Librrty Harbor.....
We stayed there 2 years ago. Unfortunately it was when Hurricane Sandy came through. Since the RV park is right on the harbor we thought it safer to pull out on Saturday (storm hit Sunday) but we had paid for a week. Asked for a refund and was told no. They would refund only if a mandatory evacuation was ordered. About 2 hours after we left we heard that a mandatory evac was ordered. Could we get a refund HELL NO. Watch your backside at this place.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Just a few questions. How is the drive to the park? How is the surrounding neighborhood? How secure is the location when you are gone visiting the city?

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nick it was very easy to get to, and the walk to the path was safe. We came back one night from town after midnight and never felt threaten! We even ended up eating two nights in a small mom & pop Italian restaurant! We plan on going back next year again!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
Nick it was very easy to get to, and the walk to the path was safe. We came back one night from town after midnight and never felt threaten! We even ended up eating two nights in a small mom & pop Italian restaurant! We plan on going back next year again!
. They have 24 hour security guards, never worried about leaving my RV!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, sounds very doable.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Just a few questions. How is the drive to the park? How is the surrounding neighborhood? How secure is the location when you are gone visiting the city? Nick
We considered it very secure. And we are from small town Indiana. The office there will arrange for guided tour of the city. Bus will pick you up at the park and tour the city. Tour includes Time square, Central Park, World Trade Center (very special) statute of liberty. Either a four hour tour or eight hour.

It a short walk to the subway going to the city. I thought about four blocks. And the ferry to the city docks right at the park.

If you are expecting a grass campground this is not that. All blacktop. Great place. Enjoy

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Just a few questions. How is the drive to the park? How is the surrounding neighborhood? How secure is the location when you are gone visiting the city? Nick
I didn't address all your questions. The drive in would probably be just fine if you listen your GPS. I got lost actually went by both baseball stadiums & thru Harlem. Lol. Guy at park said if I saw all that I for sure was lost. Ha. Rather cool actually. The neighborhood ?? Not the farm field I live in here in Indiana. But that why we travel.

On that trip NY City was not on our agenda originally. We were in Maine traveling south and 14 year old granddaughter wants to see NY City
Grand kids get what the want !! Look up campgrounds. Saw Liberty. Called and they has a spot. That how we travel. Loved it.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping