Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #1

Camping Partners ?

I know this is not the correct place to post this, maybe the administrators will redirect it, We camped a lot with our daughter and son in law in the past, but due to work, they seldom go anymore, so we go solo most of the time, Just wondering how to hook up with others for trips ? Note, we are not high end capable, but love heading out on a budget, I'm retired and the wife still works Mon. thru Thurs so we have 3 day weekend when ever budget permits. Brunswick Ga. area
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
The wife and I have thought the same thing but we gave up on trying to plan With others as our weekend trips are preplanned about 6 months in advance as we both are still working
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #3

Oh ! That's hard, we had to do the same for our longer trips when we both worked. Now i'm retired just takes one adjustment. For a long weekend,a month or so !

Except for less cash flow, retirement is great !!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Just wondering how to hook up with others for trips ?
rideandslide
We have never failed to "hook up with others" in any campground we spent time in..... (if/when we felt like hooking up with others).

However IMO "traveling with others" can get really old... really fast.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #5

I have found that hooking/traveling with others does not seem to work out for us. I have ran into other RV'rs at work, other camp grounds (they live in the same general area as us), etc. We swap emails etc., talk about about getting together and doing some camping, but never hear from them. Even though I make first contact it never seems to work out.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

We USED to plan a trip with friends around mothers day every year. But it got to the point that nobody would ever agree on the exact weekend or would be happy with one destination. We made a few friends mad, but we we changed to "we're going X on the X day" You wanna go fine, call and get you a spot. if you don't, stay home. Funny the person that got mad said up front that they were moving so they couldn't go anywhere for awhile.

Now, we try to not take anyone that will stay in our rv. When we're ready, door closed, you stay up as late as you want and get up or sleep as early or late as you want. Oh, and go throw up after you drink all night in your own bathroom. Crude, but it happens.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Just head out to whatever campground is within your range and start walking around talking to folks about their rig. Does not take long to find folks who are like minded.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #8

Guess i didn't state "in there own RV " either way i get the drift and thanks !
Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #9

Camping Partners ?

If I need to start a conversation, all I do is open the hood on my Jeep and shake my head in disgust ....and hand out beers when the crowd gathers.
We will meet other RVers at a campground but not travel with them. If one stops, we all gotta stop? Not our style.
Best wishes!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
....Just wondering how to hook up with others for trips ? Note, we are not high end capable, but love heading out on a budget, I'm retired and the wife still works Mon. thru Thurs so we have 3 day weekend when ever budget permits. Brunswick Ga. area
Look here if you haven't already. Southeast Campers is somewhat fragmented between Carolina Campers, Coastal Campers, and Florida Cooters but most of it pertains to the part of the country you're in. It used to be much more active but occasionally someone still puts something out there for a rally or that they're just going someplace for the weekend in case anyone wants to join them. You might try it yourself before the next time you head out and see what happens.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #11

Our site does tend to attract people. I guess we're the funnest. Maybe even the loudest. Definitely always have a lot of cooking going on. Sometimes we might have some guitar picking going on. On our June and August river trips, we have some friend that we met there years ago, and now it's a large group that goes the same weekend every year. They are all responsible for making their own arrangements. We've only traveled with one other rv one time. it was kinda fun. We do have a couple that used to go with us in our rv and now they have their own. We travel separate because they will be late to their own funeral. He is the one that established the rule of go throw up in your own camper.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I'm firmly in the "I can make new camping friends pretty much wherever we happen to stop" camp.

My wife on the other hand ... she tends to lean heavily towards the "let's plan group trips!" camp. It's not that I dislike group trips - I just hate tying myself to menus and activities that are made too far in advance. Worse, it always seems that the plan ends up being heavily influenced by somebody else's limitations (dates than can travel, their planned arrival and/or departure times), their dietary restrictions, their animals and/or kids, etc. Then there's the seemingly endless ... they're coming, now they're not coming ... oh, now they're coming again ... gyrations. Plus the countless phone calls about who's going to setup on which sites .... followed by the "can't we pull in headfirst so the doors face" discussions. ... and all of that is before the conversation gets to what's on the menu.

Left to my own devices - planning a "group" trip would involve me telling friends where I'm going to be and when I'm going to be there ... along with a simple invite to join us if they get the urge - and I'd leave it at that.

When a trip gets planned in detail ... I can count not working on the departure/arrival times I would prefer (in either direction), meals eaten at times that aren't my choice, and often a menu that's something that I would have happily passed on. ... and I'll be answering more questions than one man should ever have to answer trying to keep my DW happy as she plays "hostess".
Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check for FMCA and Good Sam chapters in your area. Likely you will find a group that does once a month weekend outings together. We are members of such a group. Makes for great weekends with friends.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #14

.. they're coming, now they're not coming ... oh, now they're coming again ...

Got to Amen this one

And there the......we're leaving at 10 am so we'll be there by noon, that changes to we're fixing to pull out at 11, that changes to as soon as the kids get out of school, that changes to we're 20 minutes away, then it all ends up in we cooked enough supper for you because we were cooking the first night, but you stopped at got Whataburger, and now it's midnight and I'm zonked out and the wife is elbowing me to get up and help them back in, and by the time that's done, it's 130 am and they wanna sit up and talk.

Tags
camping