Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

Camping recommendations in the northern obx

Can anyone recommend a park where you can see the wild mustangs in the Outer Banks? I think the horses are seen around the Corolla area and north. We are hoping to take our horse crazy nine-year-old daughter there in July. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

rv parks

The closest rv park to Corolla is in Kittyhawk. Very tight, mostly permanent trailers for rent. Next closest is 18+miles south at Coquina Beach. NP Service, no hook-ups, cold showers. More farther south.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyJeffery
Can anyone recommend a park where you can see the wild mustangs in the Outer Banks? I think the horses are seen around the Corolla area and north. We are hoping to take our horse crazy nine-year-old daughter there in July. Thanks.
The wild horses are north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There are two herds. One is at Chincoteaque and the other just north of there at Assateaque. There is a campground at Assateaque for sure.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are horses in Corolla on the OBX as well as north of the CBBT. The info above is correct as far as camping in the immediate area of Corolla/Currituck. The OBX took a bad hit from hurricane Sandy and I think the camping on Hatteras Island may be impacted still, by next summer. My daughter lives there, and told me yesterday that the campground we usually use is all but wiped out. She said she could not imagine it being ready for next summer.
If it is the horses that are most important, the idea of the ones in the Assateague is a good suggestion. Several nice campgrounds in that area. http://http://www.assateagueisland.c...dlife/pony.htm
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #5

You didn't say where you were travelling from, but you might consider Hungry mother State Park in Southwest VA. There are wild ponies on Mt, Rogers, but it does require hiking to see them.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
There are horses in Corolla on the OBX as well as north of the CBBT. The info above is correct as far as camping in the immediate area of Corolla/Currituck. The OBX took a bad hit from hurricane Sandy and I think the camping on Hatteras Island may be impacted still, by next summer. My daughter lives there, and told me yesterday that the campground we usually use is all but wiped out. She said she could not imagine it being ready for next summer.
If it is the horses that are most important, the idea of the ones in the Assateague is a good suggestion. Several nice campgrounds in that area. http://http://www.assateagueisland.c...dlife/pony.htm
Don't give up. Cape Hatteras KOA was completely destroyed, with the exception of 1 building, by Irene, which was much worse than Sandy. They were up and ready for campers for the spring/summer camping. New cabins were brought in, a new pool was built, new shower and bath houses, etc. Alot of work, and the campground was not 100%, but they made it happen.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just talked to my daughter again, and she says there are striking differences within short distances as far as damage goes. It all depends on whether the dunes held. Some areas were beefed up after Irene, others, not so much. Looks like the KOA was luckier this time, thank goodness.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Yes, still alot of damages up and down the islands. Everything will be rebuilt and life will go on until the next storm. I really feel bad for the folks of NY & NJ. They aren't as prepared to handle a hurricane like we are in the south. We'll be back to the OBX next summer.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #9

There are also horses on Carat Island(Carrot Island) across the water from Beaufort, NC. I am unsure of campgrounds, however you can day trip and visit the island.
When we were kids, we stated there often and some folks dry camped(boondocked) at Radio Island. Radio Island is between Beaufort and Morehead City.
All beautiful areas, just been a while since a visit.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #10

Thanks so much, everyone, for your help. We recently got our camper so this is new to us. We are learning about all the amazing places to go. We live in Charleston, SC. I checked out Assateague State Park - was very excited about that and tried to book but their sites with electricity are already completely booked in the summer. They have a day here and there, but we hoping to stay at least a week given the 10 hours it will take us to drive there. Being close to the horses and having electricity are important to us ...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might want to take a look at this page. http://http://www.chincoteague.com/campgrounds.html We had the same problem that you did and ended up at Tom's Cove. Obviously you would have to drive to Assateague, but it is fairly close.

Tags
camping