Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #15

you could take your dogs to a doggy day care like Camp Bow Wow. they have places nationwide.
We have a Springer who hates being alone and we will be using Camp Bow Wow
once we buy our MH.

DC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a Sheltie years ago before I got a rv, great little dog. The Idiot Dog, an overgrown Yorkie, if she sees someone or something and we are home she will bark. We have checked with other campers and they say she does not bark when we are gone. When we had the TT we would turn the radio down low and close all the window shades when we left her. I do the same with the MH but I leave the front shade up a foot. It I don't she will get between the shade and the windshield. Most of the time when we come back she is asleep on the dash on the drivers side.
I am also concerned about a park power failure when we are gone. I am going to install the wireless auto start on the generator next month.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #17

If they are not barkers for the sake of barking I would crate them in the MH when away. If they are not used to being crated then start when you leave home. I travel with many dogs but spend most nights at dog shows rather than camp grounds.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #18

In the summer we always worry about pets left along in RV's because a power failure or A/C shutdown will create serious problems due to heat. These things heat up very fast & pets can overheat rapidly. Had a cat overheat once & it didn't take long, thankfully she survived but it was a lesson well learned.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
In the summer we always worry about pets left along in RV's because a power failure or A/C shutdown will create serious problems due to heat. These things heat up very fast & pets can overheat rapidly. Had a cat overheat once & it didn't take long, thankfully she survived but it was a lesson well learned.
We set the temp and have auto-start on our generator in case the power should fail. We don't (yet) have a remote temp monitoring device, but I'm looking into it.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We set the temp and have auto-start on our generator in case the power should fail. We don't (yet) have a remote temp monitoring device, but I'm looking into it.
Paul and Nina,

You might want to check this unit out if you have an Onan generator. It has a temperature monitor on it to start the generator if the coach gets too hot.

Cummins Onan RV Generator Energy Command AutoStart Control

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I plan to install the auto start next month. I worry about Idiot Dog if power fails.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
My thread was the one that turn into a fiasco last week . Anyway, Traveling with our dog has been a lot of fun. We got him at about 9 weeks and he has been RVing with us ever since. I canít even pick up the camper keys without him trying to get out the door with me. I think the dog gets more excited about going camping than my kids do. We live in the Mid Atlantic area just north of Baltimore MD. I have really only run into the problem that I posted about in this area and in the Northeast. Everywhere else that we have traveled to has been ok. Just check with the campground before you go.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #23

We have the RV because we have the dog. She is a large 65 pound mix rescue dog. She doesn't kennel well and leaving her in a kennel while we travel was not an option and for us not traveling was not an option. We usually try to take her out with us in the mornings and then leave her in the coach while we sightsee or whatever for the rest of the day up to 8 hours, but normally 6 or less. She is protective of her home and will bark if she perceives a threat. We have not had any problems leaving her. We leave the TV on and close the blinds on all but one window over the dinette and one in the bedroom, based on the views. We constantly ask those next to us if she's been noisy and everyone always says no. We usually find her asleep behind the drivers seat when we get back. We're relieved, as we were worried it might not turn out as well as it has. We spend more time at the RV than we would if we didn't have a dog, so we just plan more time in each location. As long as we have a dog (our last one until we stop traveling) this is how we manage. Your dogs will help you find the right routines that will work for them and you.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #24

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Sounds like most everyone here is in my shoes or has been there. The last thing I want to do is piss someone off because of the dogs. I'd be pissed too even being an owner. I guess we'll play it by ear when the time comes. As I said i don't have an MH yet but I see one in my future.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #25

Ok, so now I feel like such a doofwad. As soon as I exited this forum after my last post, I see there is an entire community called 'Rv'ing with pets". DOOH!!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
Thanks everyone for chiming in. Sounds like most everyone here is in my shoes or has been there. The last thing I want to do is piss someone off because of the dogs. I'd be pissed too even being an owner. I guess we'll play it by ear when the time comes. As I said i don't have an MH yet but I see one in my future.
When you do get your RV, commit to spending some time training your dog on how they're expected to behave while in it. Don't allow them to bark at anything when you're home and practice exiting the rig as though you're leaving them alone... and then sneaking back to listen for yourself. If you hear any barking open the door and scold them... etc.

It really goes a long way.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We would not travel without our two dogs (Black & Tan Coon Hound and Rottweiler). They are our pets and our biological alarm system!
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Sidecar for the bike. Most dogs love it. I ride a bike and enjoy sight seeing. I leave the dog in a crate inside the MH. I am looking at the self start on the gen, good idea. I leave my cell phone number with the office in case omething happens. My little guy is an Australian Shepherd.

desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping