Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #1

Camping with Pets

My wife and I both ride motorcycles (street not dirt). We'd like to buy a Class A or C MH so we can travel more and go exploring on our motorcycles. The problem is we have two Shelties. We'd rather not kennel them and don't really have fam/friends to leave them with. Besides we love to travel with our pets as many of you do.

My question is - how are campgrounds when it comes to leaving pets in the RV while you are away for 4-6 hours? Obviously we'd leave food, water, the A/C on, and a sign in the windshield saying "Pets on Board" or similar.

Shelties are small, well behaved dogs and typically do not bark when alone. The DO however bark when someone/thing is 'new' to them such as someone at the door, walking past, etc, AND only if they can see them.

So, if they're left alone while we're out riding is that going to cause aproblem with the campground? I realize all campgrounds are different, especially State Parks, but what is the general response from campgrounds?
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
There was a lengthy discussion on this topic HERE. Unfortunately, as is typical when this subject arises, it turned into aand was closed. Nevertheless, you might glean something useful out of it.

By the way, we RV with 2 Shelties as well - and a cat.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We snowbird so we are usually on the road with our two Shih Tzu's for half the year. We have never had a problem or complaint about our dogs when left alone. One is a little more attentive to any and every little thing in the 2 mile surrounding area, but he is not a constant barker.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Most of them will say don't leave them unattended outside it would be up to you to make sure they are ok inside.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #5

Yeah I knew outside was a no no but didn't know about inside. I read just a few of the posts there and being an owner I have to agree with the barking dog complaints - which is the main reason I asked.
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I too am concerned now about leaving Beaux unattended as we ASSumed he was quiet...

Don't know if he is or not, but will have to ask our neighbors next time we are gone...

Because he is such a live wire when awake, he has a tendency to crash and snore when we are not active
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We take hour 75 pound Husky with us everywhere in the MH. She is not a barker so that is not a problem. On maybe two occasions when there were some "smaller" dogs in the area "unattended" when we went off we closed the windshield drapes. That removed the opportunity for her to be upset at the rat dogs running loose outside.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post

My question is - how are campgrounds when it comes to leaving pets in the RV while you are away for 4-6 hours?
Check first as many CGs do not allow pets to be left unattended in RVs, or left tied, or in a pen or cage outside.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I would say half the CG we have been to forbid you to leave your pets alone inside or outside. We have a Boston terrier mix that doesn't bark unless you bang on the door. We leave him alone when we go out fit a few hours. Rule of thumb is if no one complains then you are ok. They just don't want barkers driving other campers crazy.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've seen that posted (and argued ) here and I can say I've never seen that rule anywhere we've gone...
and we've gone to some nice parks....

maybe it's the area of the country or a certain chain or ?
curious cuz we'd have to move on as our pup is coming with us

but I certainly agree with the owners right to make his own rules !
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #11

We love pets and owned many, or make that was owned by many. But fulltiming and constant adventures have precluded having pets until we slow down.

We had pets with us for the many years before we retired. We never left them alone. Ever! They dont like to be alone any more than we do!

There is always a way to accompdate them, as noted in other posts here. Hey, they are the "children" of the family. We accepted that responsibility in full.

I truly enjoy meeting truly well mannered pets as they are walked, and carry treats for them (if permission is granted). They then look for us and "guide" their owners to our site. The fun without the muss or fuss.

Just a personal choice.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We camp mostly in public parks (COE, national forest, state park, BLM etc.) with a few private thrown in. I know some private parks have that no leave rule, but we've gone 3 years full time RVing without seeing it. We do deliberately choose pet friendly spots.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #13

After more than 1150 nights in commercial rv parks in the last several years, I would offer this. My unscientific observations lead me to believe that more rv travelers have dogs with them than not. Everyone leaves the dog behind at some point to do tourist things, grocery shop, go to restaurants, etc. - the same as when at the stick and brick. Very few dogs left behind are a barking problem, and those are normally yappers that sit on the dashboard and bark out the big front window on a motorhome. Take your dogs and enjoy your travels. Be a responsible pet caretaker and you will have no problems. Good luck to you.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We travel (three years full time) with two Westies and a Sheltie. I'd guess that we have seen the rule about not leaving pets unattended in your rig in close to half the private parks we've visited.

My conclusion is that many parks use this rule to be able to enforce if barking becomes a problem and is not enforced otherwise. We've left our dogs in our coach for up to eight hours without issue... although their time alone is usually half that.

Our dogs are well socialized and good travelers and have learned not to bark at someone (even with a dog) walking by. We've frequently asked our neighbors if they've heard anything from our dogs after we return from leaving them alone.

A bigger concern for me, is the possibility of a power failure at the park while we're gone... causing the AC to quit and the coach to become an oven very quickly in the summer sun... so we usually don't leave them for long periods in these conditions.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping