Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Campsite or "Resort" Memberships

Hi, I'm relatively new to full timing in a '97 Georgie Boy class A. I recently joined an organization named "Ocean Canyon Properties". I was promised a lot of benefits (for a lot of $$$) and I'm learning that the salesperson just may have been a little over-enthusiastic, one discrepancy at a time. Has anyone had any experience with this organization? I don't want to use the forum to beat up on these folks because the membership does have some very real benefits. I was just curious if anyone else has had any experience with them. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Campground memberships can be great or they can be horrible. It is a little late now but the main question is; how often will you use the campgrounds in your membership. If you are retired and using them at least 50% of the time you will make out like a bandit. If not you may find it would have been cheaper to stay at a KOA. We are members of 3 Camping clubs and use them enough to justify our memberships. However if we had known how one of them; Western Horizon Resorts was going to treat their members selling off campgrounds and leaving us holding the bag we would have never considered purchasing any memberships. Campground membership sales people are just like any other sales people. If their lips are moving they are lying. If you don't have it in writing you are screwed.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

There are a lot of things to click on here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ocea...&client=safari

Best wishes.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry for your troubles. I had never heard of them so Googled them. Seems there's a lot of folks out there pretty unhappy with them.

Ocean Canyon Properties Reviews | Scambook

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the info! I'm not really having trouble with the membership. There are just a few things I was told which were not true. For instance, with my membership, I was told that I'd receive and extra 30% discount on purchases made at Camping World. That turned out to be total fabrication. The "premier" membership I think will still work for us as we're full time and it provides FREE stays for 21 days and all OCP resorts and all Premier and Deluxe Coast To Coast sites. We stay free for 21 days then must either go to another site, or we can "buy out" the last week for $120 with an option to volunteer to work around the site for 24 hours. The concept is wonderful and works beautifully for us, even considering a pretty hefty cost (around $10K for a life membership). Most of the Coast To Coast Premier and Deluxe Resorts are VERY nice and ALL of the Ocean Canyon Properties are very pleasant. Without the membership I'd be paying from $450 and up PLUS electricity for a month's stay, so this is ALMOST like staying for free. Being full time, this really should work for us. I was just a bit concerned about any more "surprises" around the corner!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you feel it'll work for you. A promise of 30% off of everything at CW seems like an over the top statement by a slimy salesman.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

Memberships

You're absolutely correct! The key is how much we'll use it! There are just a few things I was told which turned not not to be true. For instance, with my membership, I was told that I'd receive and extra 30% discount on purchases made at Camping World. That turned out to be total fabrication. The "premier" membership I think will still work for us as we're full time and it provides FREE stays for 21 days and all OCP resorts and all Premier and Deluxe Coast To Coast sites. We stay free for 21 days then must either go to another site, or we can "buy out" the last week for $120 with an option to volunteer to work around the site for 24 hours. The concept is wonderful and works beautifully for us, even considering a pretty hefty cost (around $10K for a life membership). Most of the Coast To Coast Premier and Deluxe Resorts are VERY nice and ALL of the Ocean Canyon Properties are very pleasant. Without the membership I'd be paying from $450 and up PLUS electricity for a month's stay, so this is ALMOST like staying for free. Being full time, this really should work for us. I was just a bit concerned about any more "surprises" around the corner!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

It is not like "camping free" until you have used it enough to recoup the big $$$$ you paid for the membership.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Do they have "Blackout" dates/times that the free stay won't apply to? Quite a few clubs have these where you can't get the free or discounted deal from Memorial Day thru Labor Day & such. If not, best of luck & enjoy!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The biggest surprise is when you figure out that they separated you from a lot of money and you finally figure out you really don't own anything. Use it as heavy as possible while you can as these places come and go like the wind. When we purchased our Western Horizon membership they owned 23 parks. Now they own less than 8 and the number drops weekly. The closest park to us now is over 1000 miles away. A bit far for a weekend.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #11

"I was told that I'd receive and extra 30% discount on purchases made at Camping World."

I dont know anything about the Ocean Canyon membership but with my Good Sam membership I get 30% off repair parts at CW but not the store inventory.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingair02 View Post
Without the membership I'd be paying from $450 and up PLUS electricity for a month's stay, so this is ALMOST like staying for free.
Sorry, I dont see "almost free".
Really hate to tell you, but $450 per month parks are available, and some can be quite nice. Please check this one out as just an example, at $400/month including electricity and all amenities.
http://fiestarvresort.com/

You actually sound like the sales person would while making the "pitch".

I would try to get my $ back....before they dissapear like Thousand Trails is doing.

Oh, some interesting reviews:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ose_Texas.html

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I was interested in Fiesta until I read.
Terms
  • Sorry, no dogs allowed
  • RV must be 10 years or newer and a minimum of 26′ long
  • We accept personal checks or cash only, no credit cards
Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #14

For ten grand you have to spend 23months at 450 a month cg's just to break even. Or 25 months at $400.per month cg's.