Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

Canada border crossing

We will be traveling to niagra falls-Kingston- Montreal - then Quebec. We will be in Canada for 2/12 weeks. We will be traveling in our our motorhome. My husband, myself and our three little dogs.
We have been hearing about some bad experiences people have had crossing the border in a motorhome. One person told us they had to empty their motorhome. Another said they could not bring food into Canada.

Please share your experience traveling thru Canada

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Larry and karen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have your passports. Your biggest problem may be the animals. You need documentation of all vaccinations being up to date. We live close to the Canadian border and cross often. Horror stories are like the drug side effect disclaimers. They happened once or twice so you have to hear the story. I find the Canadian border guards WAY nicer the U.S. guards. If you don't speak French you may find Quebec a challenge.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #3

WE have had rude, obnoxious and pleasant. Depends on how their night on the town went I assume.. I just keep my cool otherwise they may not let me in.. No firearms onboard..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
One big thing is to answer the questions they ask absolutely truthfull and don't elaborate, be short and to the point, my nephew is a canadian border officer so he tells all the things they look for.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Have your passports. Your biggest problem may be the animals. You need documentation of all vaccinations being up to date. We live close to the Canadian border and cross often. Horror stories are like the drug side effect disclaimers. They happened once or twice so you have to hear the story. I find the Canadian border guards WAY nicer the U.S. guards. If you don't speak French you may find Quebec a challenge.

I was in Canada this summer. The document requirement is only a valid passport and a current rabies certificate. I compulsively checked to make sure I would have no problems crossing with my dogs, and all that is required is the rabies certificate. (record of vaccination signed by the vet). This can be verified on the Canadian Government websites.

Food is another issue, and is so coming both ways. Fresh eggs, poultry, meat, and produce are likely to be a problem. Frozen, canned, dried foods are likely not to be an issue. The only inspection I had in four crossings was coming into Minnesota after I confessed to having fresh eggs. The customs officer came aboard and looked in the refrigerator (not freezer) and took my 10 eggs.

Border crossings are too busy for them to waste time hassling you, unless you give them a good reason to do so. Be truthful, be precise, and be concise in your answers. If you are businesslike and polite, you will get the same in return.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Are you saying you can't have eggs or produce going over the border from the U.S.?
Old 09-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #7

DW has family in Canada. We do the crossings a lot. You do need to ask before you get to the border what you can bring into Canada, and that is usually not difficult. Finding out the same information for the US is like pulling wisdom teeth. Nobody knows or can tell you until you get to the border.

You were told about firearms in Canada. Long guns can be managed for some cost and time, but read the rules first.

Just one word of warning** Avoid crossing back into the US at Detroit. When ever I do cross there, I regret it and it is usually the most expedient travel wise.

Matt
Old 09-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry65 View Post
Are you saying you can't have eggs or produce going over the border from the U.S.?
Yes, any poultry or packaged meat products are an issue going either direction. On return, you need the original packaging for you pet food also.

Here is the Offical Word that you should familiarize yourself with.

ARCHIVED - bsf5082: Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents
Old 09-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #9

We had easy, non-eventful crossings with no issues and only a couple of questions with a quick look at our passports. They didn't ask about the dog and didn't ask us about food. I suspect on a future trip it could be the opposite. As someone mentioned, it probably depends on which border, which person, and how their day is going.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Crossed both ways this summer and had frozen uncooked chicken taken going both ways. For eggs they were from AZ thus they let me keep them. The Canadians told me to tell my RV friends not to bring chicken as they had a freezer full and were waiting for Health Canada to come and pick it up. There is a major poultry problem in some of the northern US states which started in April. The US border patrol did give me a sheet of what items are allowed. Overall just answer the questions truthfully, as others have mentioned and you should have no major problems.

Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada