Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #1

Canadian Rockies, Calgary to Vancouver

DW and I are planning a trip west this summer from our home in Ontario and will be travelling through the Canadian Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver. I am looking for tips and advice, with suggested routes, do's and don'ts etc. from fellow RVrs who may have made the trip. We will have 6-10 days to spend on that leg of our trip and want to take in as many of the sights and attractions, as possible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #2

If possible, go thru Edmonton first so you can start your "Rockies" tour in Jasper National Park and stay in Jasper's main RV campground. Then take the Icefields Pkway (Hwy 93) south to the Icefields Center where there is a RV campground along the Hwy(basically a paved lot on the opposite side of the Hwy form the Athabasca Glacier). Stay one night if possible before continuing south to Lake Louise and to Banff staying in both their main RV campgrounds. Some back tracking is required in this area, or after Lake Louise head west onto BC and stop in Banff on the way home. Campground reservations will be needed in the summer at all 3 areas but not likely at the Icefields Center campground. Takes some day hikes if possible.

Jasper

Icefields

Lake Louise

Banff

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #3

This is a great trip and it is great you have plenty of time. There is a lot to see along the way. I highly recommend that at Kamloops you continue on Highway 1 rather than take the Coquihalla Highway. The Coq is very scenic, but it is a fast moving freeway with little room to pull over except for a few pullouts.

Highway 1 was the original Transcanada Highway. It is very scenic, but a lot less travelled. Some neat little towns and historic sites along the way, probably the best is Hell's Gate, a must stop. From there carry on to Hope BC and on to the coast.
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
If possible, go thru Edmonton first so you can start your "Rockies" tour in Jasper National Park and stay in Jasper's main RV campground. Then take the Icefields Pkway (Hwy 93) south to the Icefieds Center where there is a RV campground along the Hwy(basicaly a paved lot on the opposite side of the Hwy form the Athabasca Glacier). Stay one night if possible before continuing south to Lake Louise
and to Banff staying in both their main RV campgrounds. Some back tracking is required in this area, or after Lake Louise head west to the BC the stop in Banff on the way home. Campground reservation will be needed in the summer at all 3 areas but not likely at the Icefields Center campground.
We made this trip in 2000 across Canada from Quebec but also added the
Calgary Stampede before heading up to Jasper, you will not regret it beautiful country great show..
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
My favorite is the Banff/Jasper Parkway (Hwy 93). I try to make the trip every second year. One of the two most scenic drives in North America.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:11 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
You might want to spend a night at a hot spring or two in the area of the Rockies. There is Radium and Fairmont and both have RV parks. There is also Canyon Springs west of Revelstoke if you take that route. Chances are if you start at Jasper and head south as some have suggested, you may want to take the southerly route through BC through communities like Creston and Grand Forks It is a longer drive but infinitely more peaceful IMO. Rolling ranch lands and farms following mostly along the BC, US border. Once you get to Osoyoos you are in wine country with loads of wineries for tasting. There are also good opportunities for fresh fruit and veggies in this region. Also some nice lakes and RV opportunities here as well. No right or wrong in any of the suggestions. Consider getting yourself an annual National park pass. It might save you some coin along your journey.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

Well you are in for some pretty sites. Make sure you tour from Banff up to Jasper through the park. The wild life you will see is amazing. Camp a nite in Jasper the go across Hwy 16 and drop down on hwy 5. You can pickup #1 again in Kamloops. Don't go down 5 after Kamloops, go over to Salmon Arm and go south 97 to Osoyoos and west agin on #3. You will pick up #1 again in Hope BC. Have fun and bring lots of SDcards.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Speaking of wild life in campground Jasper we had Elk bumping into MH in the morning and evenings and saw a Black Bear take down a Elk on #16 into Jasper.
Only problem with the Bears we saw a Bear trap on entrance into campground Bears trying to get in trash bins for food, do not leave anything outside use the bins.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is one more thought for you.
Travel west on the Jasper,Banff route then to Salmon Arm and to Hope on the TransCanada.
Then on your east bound leg take the southern route Hiway 3 the Crowsnest from Hope BC to Lethbridge AB.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:52 AM   #10

Thanks for all the great tips here. This will be a one way trip through the Canadian Rockies as we will be turning south after we visit Vancouver and go into the US and work our way back home ziz-zaging aross the States. The entire trip will be 10 -12 weeks.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Jasper to Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
This is a great trip and it is great you have plenty of time. There is a lot to see along the way. I highly recommend that at Kamloops you continue on Highway 1 rather than take the Coquihalla Highway. The Coq is very scenic, but it is a fast moving freeway with little room to pull over except for a few pullouts.

Highway 1 was the original Trans Canada Highway. It is very scenic, but a lot less travelled. Some neat little towns and historic sites along the way, probably the best is Hell's Gate, a must stop. From there carry on to Hope BC and on to the coast.
I am not sure of your direction, we will be there in last August or early September, I am staying in Jasper a week and then back down to Banff for a week, had to do it that way because of a bicycle race, no parking. Anyway I thought I would go back up to Jasper and go over to Valemount for a few days and then down to Vancouver, the map shows hwy 5 all the way to Vancouver, is that a good road for a big rig or do I need to go to Hwy 1 and go down.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
I am not sure of your direction, we will be there in last August or early September, I am staying in Jasper a week and then back down to Banff for a week, had to do it that way because of a bicycle race, no parking. Anyway I thought I would go back up to Jasper and go over to Valemount for a few days and then down to Vancouver, the map shows hwy 5 all the way to Vancouver, is that a good road for a big rig or do I need to go to Hwy 1 and go down.
Hiway 5 is great, very scenic.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post

Highway 1 was the original Transcanada Highway. It is very scenic, but a lot less travelled. Some neat little towns and historic sites along the way, probably the best is Hell's Gate, a must stop. From there carry on to Hope BC and on to the coast.
What "wydeglyde" said.

IMHO the stretch of the Fraser Canyon from Spences Bridge to Lytton is the most spectacular section along the entire Trans Canada Hwy. If you're really lucky you'll see white water rafters doing their thing right beside the road.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks we are excited about this trip especially, we have planned two weeks in that area but it sounds like I need to extend the time. I do have another question that you might be able to answer, we will be there late August and early Sept., what about the bugs, we was in PEI last year and the bugs was terrible, Nova Scotia was not bad but PEi was awful.

Also what are the things I don not want to miss