Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #1

Canadians seeking Colorado

Greetings! My wife and I want to meet up in Colerado with friends from Oklahoma for 4-5 days of camping.
We have a 36' 5er and they a 28' bp. I looked up camping in Colorado on the web and...well...wow! Now I have no idea where to go. So as a few times before I am turning to the good people of irv2 for some opinions. We would like to be somewhere mountainous, with fishing and full hookups. We also would like somewhere there is a small city or town not too far away, because although James and I are worthy to be declared Pit Masters haha, we do like a day off and hit a nice pub with decent food. Doesn't have to be kid friendly and I have no preference to it being like a KOA (we're members) or private. On a lake would be fantastic and camp fires a must!
So hopefully a few fellow members of this forum know just the spot!
Thanks!
Brad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am real partial to Tiger Run Rv Park. Halfway between Breckenridge & Frisco. Views are great, park is one of the nicest you will ever visit. And Breckenridge Brewery has great beer!

Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Estes Park just outside Rock Mountain National Park would be my recommendation. We always stay inside the park (no hookups), but there are a number of full hookup campgrounds in town. The scenery is breathtaking, the town fun, they have a lake with good fishing. It is high enough that the weather is quite comfortable for the Oklahomans escaping the heat.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

Completely agree on Tiger Run. It's a nice place and has what you want (except for the lake) and is close to Breckenridge, which is a fun little town.

I know nothing about fishing, but suspect it's around there in the streams. And Dillon Reservoir is nearby.

However, down in Dolores, in the southwest corner of the state, is Priest Gulch campground. It's right on the river, so it probably has fishing onsite, and there are lakes around. Hmm...one I remember is called Trout Lake--sounds promising.

I've driven by Priest Gulch dozens of times and always wished I could stay there. The major knock on it is that the nearby town, other than tiny Dolores, is Cortez, and, well, yuck. And it's in the mountains, but kind of on the edge; not smack in the middle, like Breckenridge.

Durango and Telluride are both within day-tripping distance, though.

Actually, Durango might work. It has several RV parks to choose from, and other tourist stuff (like the train to Silverton). But if that's not all that important, I'd recommend Priest Gulch for just kicking back and fishing. It's really really pretty.

I would also suggest Crested Butte RV Resort because it's on the river and is near the great little town of Crested Butte, but it doesn't have sewer connections, and the dump station is a few miles away. There are RV parks in Gunnison, but unless you want what that area in particular has to offer, Priest Gulch would be my pick based on loveliness, and Tiger Run based on location.

There's also the Salida/Buena Vista area, which has a lot of rafting, so presumably there's fishing, too. There are several RV parks near Buena Vista, including a KOA, and both towns offer brew pubs. Definitely in the mountains.

People also like the Creede/Lake City area, but I've only driven through it, not stayed there. So I don't know anything about it, but it does exist, and might bear looking into if its location would be good for you and the Oklahomans to meet.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #5

Durango is your place! It has all that you mentioned- mountains, fishing on the Animas River or a 10-minute drive to Haviland Lake, raft trip, good restaurants, shopping. Stay at Alpen Rose RV. Drive up to Silverton for a day with your truck and you will not see anything like it - absolutely gorgeous! It's a unique historic little western town. Stop at the Visitor Center and get directions to the easy gravel drive to the ghost town. It's our absolute favorite area in Colorado.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #6

Much appreciated, we're going to look into Durango and Tiger Run for starters, they sound great. The old west town and a ghost town sounds fun, we all like that kind of thing!
Thanks for the replies we sure appreciate it
DieselGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Another consideration for Durango is the proximity of another of my favorites, Mesa Verde National Park. Not exactly the mountains and lakes you mentioned, but one of the great locations as far as I'm concerned. Also, its surprisingly beautiful on the Mesa's, despite the near desert conditions below.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #8

Ouray, CO is called the Little Switzerland of the US. We liked the KOA at Ouray. Day trips to Telluride, Silverton and Durango.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It would be helpful to know how far west you want to travel. Live in Colorado and spend a lot of time camping in the mountains.
Tiger Run in Breckinridge is wonderful. We were there 2yrs ago. Great town, great restaurants and well kept Cg. However, it has a more urban feel.
Estes Park is a beautiful town just west of the Front Range area. As noted, Rocky Mnt National Park is stunning. Very fun place to be.
Durango is one of my favorite places. Lots to see and do. Everyone should see Mesa Verde.
Ouray is fun. Small Western Slope town with hot springs. Towns of Ridgeway and Teleuride within 1 hour drive.
Don't know about fishing for above but Gunnison has great fishing. Blue Mesa Res. is nearby(within mins. of town) with salmon in lake. Lots of camping right at lake if there is room! More campgrounds in town including KOA. Restaurants are fairly basic but good. Garlic Mike one of the best. Crested Butte is 1hour drive. Taylor Res. is high altitude lake and very popular summer destination. We love it up there.
You cannot loose with any of these destinations. Just different vibe! Lynn
Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #10

Thanks Lynn! We're in SE Alberta so we are west of CO already. It's about 15 hrs from here to Denver. We have no limitations as to distance really. What I am learning is Colorado seems to have a lot of wnderful places to go . Do you know if it's Durango where there is a place you can pan gold? Thought I remembered hearing something about that.
DieselGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi DieselGod, Not sure but I do believe that you can find gold panning in Durango area somewhere.
When you leave go out to Cortes and then up through Utah to Moab. Arches is right there in Moab. Very worth experiencing! Then it is an easy on to I-70.
Colorado is a big place both geographically and geologically. There is so much to experience and I never get tired of it!
if you have anymore questions I will be happy to help if I can. Have great adventures and safe travels, Lynn
Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #12

If you go to Durango, definitely drive up to Silverton. There you can take a mine tour and they'll help you pan for gold.

Free Gold Panning | Silverton, Colorado
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:13 AM   #13

Silverton has a couple of rv parks and diners ( don't know about hookups as we boondock outside of town) and don't miss the museum. It is also an atv friendly town and let them ride on the two main city roads. Mill tours and a mine tour. The ghost town mentioned in an earlier post is Animas Fork and worth visiting. If you go over Cinnamon Pass you'll come out at Lake San Cristobal and then short drive to Lake City. At LC you can take Engineer Pass back to Animas Fork, they call this the Alpine Loop. I would suggest the highest ground clearance vehicle for either pass. Engineer pass is the better of the two. Hope this helps

Tags
colorado