Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #1

Cancelling Trip for EEE Risk - Anyone Else?

My last camping trip of the season is scheduled in a moderate EEE risk area in MA. I'm leaning toward cancelling the trip because moderate risk is defined as mosquitos have been found with EEE now or within the past 12 months, but no cases of animal or human transmission have been found.

Two small towns away are towns at a high risk level for EEE. Although it might be key to find out if there is active EEE in the campground town now, the high risk areas are not that far away as the mosquito flies.

I know the kids will be disappointed, but there is no upside to EEE infection. Most people who get it will either die or be permanently disabled.

I'm wondering - are others cancelling a camping trip or have cancelled a trip in the past for EEE?
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

EEE??? no evidence of human or animal or human transmission? it's likely more risky for you to drive to the campground. me? unless there's more evidence of risk i would still go.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's EEE?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
EEE??? no evidence of human or animal or human transmission? it's likely more risky for you to drive to the campground. me? unless there's more evidence of risk i would still go.
There have been other people who have died from EEE this year in other parts of the state and horses who have been infected a few town away. It's the real deal.
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

What is it and why does it matter? The CDC explains:

https://www.cdc.gov/easternequineenc.../symptoms.html
Old 09-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #6

https://www.cdc.gov/easternequineenc...tis/index.html

On edit: great minds think alike!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

In answer to your question you may as well cancel as you will be fretting about it the whole time and affect the mood of the trip. Or, use plenty of Deet based bug lotion and go have a good time.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are nearly 100 deaths each day in the US cause by motor vehicle accidents while 3 have died so far from EEE this year but you're still driving?

So far for 2019 one death in Rhode Island, one in Michigan and one in Massachusetts. Year to year average number of case is 5 to 10 humans infected. RV related accident fatalities average about 20 per year.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
There are nearly 100 deaths each day in the US cause by motor vehicle accidents while 3 have died so far from EEE this year but you're still driving?

So far for 2019 one death in Rhode Island, one in Michigan and one in Massachusetts. Year to year average number of case is 5 to 10 humans infected. RV related accident fatalities average about 20 per year.
meanwhile there are ticks, bird flu, snake bites, falling off cliffs, tripping over logs...any number of ways to get sick, injured or die including driving to/from the park. wanna stay safe? stay in bed 24/7 and even then you gotta get up sooner or later. read somewhere that getting out of bed in the morning is prime time for strokes and heart attacks.

wear long sleeves, use bug spray, don't set up camp in a swampy area. relax and enjoy.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #10

Sounds like the eastern version of West Nile Disease which has been around for about 15 years or so, mainly affecting horses, carried by mosquitoes. I can only recall one or two instances where I have read about a human contacting West Nile.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
My thought exactly.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I can only recall one or two instances where I have read about a human contacting West Nile.
According to the CDC, there have been over 300 cases of humans contracting West Nile Virus. I recall there being several in north Texas in the last few years (and the CDC states 4 cases in Georgia so far this year)
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
According to the CDC, there have been over 300 cases of humans contracting West Nile Virus. I recall there being several in north Texas in the last few years (and the CDC states 4 cases in Georgia so far this year)
those 300 represent .00000121875% of the population of the US. tragic though it is the odds are pretty long of contracting west nile, EEE or anything else.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
My last camping trip of the season is scheduled in a moderate EEE risk area in MA. I'm leaning toward cancelling the trip because moderate risk is defined as mosquitos have been found with EEE now or within the past 12 months, but no cases of animal or human transmission have been found.

Two small towns away are towns at a high risk level for EEE. Although it might be key to find out if there is active EEE in the campground town now, the high risk areas are not that far away as the mosquito flies.

I know the kids will be disappointed, but there is no upside to EEE infection. Most people who get it will either die or be permanently disabled.

I'm wondering - are others cancelling a camping trip or have cancelled a trip in the past for EEE?

Is there a map of risk areas you are looking at? I'd like to see it. I think it is really smart to be educated on [ mod edit ]is going on in an area you are traveling into. What animals and insects exist and how to manage them and what risks there are being around them.

Years back I had a mouse get into my living space and I couldn't find that [Mod Edit] crawled on me at night. Then I discovered the hantavirus trying to learn how to get that [Mod Edit] out. Hantavirus spreads from mice fecal matter and urin. Even if it is dry. It can be transmitted through dust. I found an infection map and sure enough, I was in an area where mice are known to have the virus. If I caught it then my lungs fill with fluid and I would drown. No cure. There are deaths from it.

Since then, I just follow the governments advice on how to clean up after mice when they get into the engine bay or where ever. The gov. does know their [Mod Edit] when it comes to animal behavior. I scared away a Mountain Lion charging at me from 30' away by using their advice and I haven't drowned from the Hantavirus.

Just know how to handle the mosquito and don't let that issue stop you from having fun.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote