Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Candlestick rv park, San Francisco

Anyone stayed there? What do you think?

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stayed there last year. It's basically a parking lot, not too many people there when we were there seemed like it could get kinda tight. It's across the street from the stadium. Nice location if you want to visit downtown sites.

2004 Dolphin 5355 2009 Liberty Toad
mrpardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Agree with post #2, a huge paved parking lot. But, if you need access to the "city" and just want to sleep there in your rv, it is OK. Certainly not a place to put out the lawn chairs and take in the scenery.
Barry & Sue Miller(extended RVer's, 6 mos + per/year)
04 Journey 39K, C-7, 330 hp, towing: 02 Dakota 4X or 2013 Ford Edge, Aero 5050XL
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Check out San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica.

It is crowded there to, but if you can get an ocean view site, it's a $1M view.

Santa Cruz Harbor is another one, but farther away. We liked the harbor view.

Travel safe.
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
If your goal is to have a nice park to return to after a day of sight seeing in the city, I would recommend the Fair Park RV in Pleasanton Home It is about 3 miles from a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station that will take you right into the city, so you can avoid the hassle of driving and parking in the city. Also SF can be on the cool side during the summer, and Pleasanton is on the east side of the Hayward hills and gets much warmer.
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
It's funny now, but wasn't at the time . . .
About a decade ago we stayed at Candlestick. After setting up, walked up to check out the laundry facilities. A very nice, very distraught young couple from Utah warned us not to venture out at night because the neighborhood was horrible. Cars racing the streets and gun play all night. We heard it after dark ourselves. Next day moved to Pacifica. Lucked out with a nice ocean view site that had a site next us that could not be occupied, so what would have been a very tight squeeze was okay. Last time we were in the Bay Area, we stayed at a park in Vallejo. I'm still looking for an acceptable place to stay.

By the way, all the criminal activity at Candlestick . . . We later found out what we were hearing was the filming of a Spike Lee movie.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
We stayed there a few years ago. Just fine for a place to sleep. Shuttle to town runs on a regular basis and is a handy way to get to town.

Look at a map before you blindly follow your GPS. Mine took me right through downtown and tried to get me to go up a vertical street about 3 feet wide.
John McKinley
2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,
Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
jmckinley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto on the GPS warning, traveling through town to the park. Reminded me of an old drive in movie theater.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
We stayed there a few years ago. Park itself is nothing to write home about I agree, however the park owners provided a shuttle to downtown $$$ and also a pickup service when you reserved it. That was worth it all. We were not there to enjoy the RV park, but there to experience SF. It does have a nice park next door for walking and enjoying the sunset over the water if you are not too tired after the SF experiences.
Cybercat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
For what is worth the Fair Park RV in Pleasanton as mentioned above is not much better and they gouge you $$$. It also is nothing more than a asphalt lot with a few grass strips. When the fair, car show or other major events are in town they will drastically raise the rent because they can get away with it. And yes it's warmer over here (Yes I live in livermore and work in Pleasanton) but in the summer months it can be a blister here, much cooler on the other side of the bay in summer. Personally i would not recommend it to anyone, but as it's the only park in the region (literally) it might be an only option.
2006 37' Damon Astoria DP 3595 Pacific Edition
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
Ozzy & Morgan - mini Dachshunds
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Consensus seems to be to stay on the outskirts and visit from there from nicer parks. Few years back, with a smaller coach, we stayed at a park in Vallejo. While there, we visited Travis AFB in the Vacaville area, which has a couple of parks. At my urging, my daughter and her young family did the reverse. Used Vacaville as a home base to visit the Bay Area. Seems like they had some commuter traffic to contend with, but they and their toy-hauler liked the park and community.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I used to windsurf there fairly often. My wife refused to go there with me because she did not feel safe even during the day. It gets worse at night. 'nuf said?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
We stayed at the Fair Park RV in Pleasanton in September of 2011. Found the hosts very nice and the park was very good for seeing San Fran. The BART is close by and they even have a Cheesecake factory near by. Takes a little while to get to Fisherman's Warf but it is all an experience. Also easy to get to other areas while staying there. Yes it is a big parking area with grass but you aren't there to sit in your camper you are visiting San Fran and the area. I would not hesitate to stay at Fair Park RV.

mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote