Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Cape Hatteras Island nc

Hi guys,

Next week, we are going to Cape Hatteras Island NC. I would like to know which is your best campground for a travel trailer between Cape Hatteras State Park, Ocracoke Campground, Frisco campground, Cape Point Campground and Oregon Inlet Campground and why? Thank you in advance for your suggestion.
payan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

Thinking the same thing in a few weeks and watching for suggestions.

I do know that Ocracoke involves a ferry ride. I'm wondering if the long overhang on my class C will hang me up, on the ramp.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #3

I can't really help you as were headed to kill devil hills sep. 20 staying at obx campground for 3 nights and then moving south to hatteras sands in hatteras for 4 nights.Never been there before but have done ferry from southport to Kure beach with the rv it was fun first time or two now I'd rather drive.Its a two plus hour ferry ride I believe.
Lkmurrytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:09 AM   #4

I'm currently at the cape Hatteras koa and it is really nice. Big pool, hot tub, easy beach access. Jumping pillow and playground for kids, if applicable. Bath house is the nicest I've seen although I've only been at this for 8 months.

Drove past the Good Sam park on the way in, just up the street, it looks nice from the street.
DTMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Thinking the same thing in a few weeks and watching for suggestions.

I do know that Ocracoke involves a ferry ride. I'm wondering if the long overhang on my class C will hang me up, on the ramp.
We have stayed at Camp Hatteras RV Resort several times and also considering visiting the area in a couple of weeks. We called to see what was available and must have caught them at a bad time. The person seemed really put out responding to basic questions and those closest to beach access were taken so we may look elsewhere or just go further south. Past experiences have been good however. As with most campgrounds now a days the sooner you reserve the better. The campground at Oregon Inlet has no hook ups but is much less expensive if you can find a spot and dry camp a few days. A lot of people speak well of Ocean Waves and the KOA has made a lot of upgrades. If you have children there may be more there for them to do at the KOA. Sorry I can't help you regarding the ferry to Ocracoke except based on other campers we have spoken with I don't think that would be a problem.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
WDW

We stayed at the KOA. Very nice pool and facilities. Consider a patio site to cut down on sand in your RV. We drove through Waves which is next door to the KOA. Nice, small, tight but probably a better beach point address. There are more options for shade! The pool at the KOA rocks! We drove down to the CH NPS CG and it was basically deserted in July. It would be a very quiet location and somewhat isolated. That's not everyone's cup of tea.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I stayed at Hatteras RV Resort over the Labor Day weekend. Very nice place with good amenities. If you want a nice smaller place I suggest Ocean Waves campground. I rode my bicycle through there and it was very nice. All concrete pads and was well kept and maintained. Price was very reasonable also.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote