Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cape Lookout, Oregon Coast

I stayed here from Thurs, 7/29 to Sunday, 8/1/10. I absolutely loved it and will be spending a week here next year!!

It is in a State Park and VERY well kept and clean. The Park personnel are extremely friendly as are the Camp Hosts.

Each site has it's own fire pit and you can purchase local wood from the Park or the Hosts at $5 a bundle. You can also purchase local wood all along the road from Tillamook or the hwy if you are coming from the south.

This park is a few hundred yards off the beach and there are lots of paths through the dunes (they are trying to save the park from erosion).

I have attached the PDF park brochure and the second page is a park map. I, as close as I could, marked on the map what the terrain is like. This park is VERY diverse in it's sites. See below the pictures.

I was in site C-37, in the trees. ALL the trees were cut high enough for the big 5ers (one was next to me in C-35) and the 40 ft DP's (there were those in C-65 & C61). You can hear the ocean at the end of the park, where I was.

They have tried to give each site a bit of privacy and use natural barriers between sites. In some sections very tall bushes but in the PDF, there is a section marked in green. That area has different types of bushes but not terribly high as you are right off the beach and have sand.

They have bathrooms/showers in the middle of each loop. Showers are free and in C Loop are private rooms. Six total, then the bathrooms.

Dogs are welcome here and I had mine with me.

If you love natural scenery, there is a lot to see. The park is just north of Sand Lake and south of Cape Meares (has a lighthouse and Stacks with nesting falcons and other birds).

The park is 36 miles north of Lincoln City.

The only negative thing I could say is about the road about 1 mile outside of the park entrance. There are MAJOR pot holes. Hit them, doing the speed limit, and best case is you lose a tire. I traveled 25 MPH through this area. They are re-paving, so hopefully this will not be an issue after this summer (2010) but I do not know when that part is slated to be done.

This is a beautiful park and seems to be a bit of a secret as only one other camper, that I know, knew about it. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did!

Sheila

The site I was in:

Looking back and down C Loop

LOOKING OVER FROM MY SITE TO THE NEXT ONE:

SHOWER/BATHROOM ON C LOOP

TWO MILES N. OF CAMPGROUND GOING TOWARD TILLAMOOK

FEW MILES SOUTH OF CAMPGROUND TOWARD SAND LAKE

Attached Files
File Type: pdf CapeLookout.pdf (1.25 MB, 284 views)
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now you let the secret out. Oregon has some of the best state parks in the nation and the most beautiful coastline.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Never seen any state which can hold a candle to Oregon's State Parks. The pictures are beautiful and remind us of one of our favorite's, Cape Blanco which I believe is a bit south, near Newport.

Thanks for sharing...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Now you let the secret out. Oregon has some of the best state parks in the nation and the most beautiful coastline.
It was so unexpected too. My reservation fell through at another park so I was scrambling around to find something (which is a job in July!!)

I found this park and got lucky as there was a cancellation and took it.

There are a LOT of avid campers, where I work, and I had asked them all about this place. No one knew anything about it, so I'm thinking 'this can't be good' (when I came back and was raving about this place, someone that I did not even know camped piped up and said they go every season- tent camping ).

It was a real gem and I will go each year.

I read some reviews, on a campground review site and they said it was hard to get a big rig in. While I only have a small trailer, I watched people with very large rigs back in just fine (faster than I did, in fact). I think a lot of it has to do with how experienced you are with your rig.

I do not think I mentioned it but each site is paved and nearly level. I put my TT over as far as I could, on the pad, to have more paved room at my doorway so I did use one 2" block to level. However, if I would have parked more toward center, I would not have needed to do that.

I am going to the Olympic Penninsula this month and not sure yet for Sept & October

I want to go to Fort Stevens & Silver Falls (heard rave reviews from friends about Silver Falls).

Ahhhh, so many great parks, so little time...............

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip heading that way in September.

Paul