Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
....The Alaska trip is very easy to do by yourself...and you definitely won't be alone out there. Everyone goes to the same places and the roads are few. You will meet many of the same folks time after time all summer. Safety alone? There should be no concerns. If anyone breaks down, it is extremely common for the next person to stop. The locals are very very helpful in these cases. Have you ever heard of anyone stranded? The roads are good .... IF you drive slow. That's when things break...driving fast. It's not supposed to be a fast trip. We had absolutely no problems and no windshield breakage and no dings in the vehicles. Have fun planning!...
I see speed referenced often when discussing this trip. Just how slow is slow and do most try to follow the 2-2-2 rule?
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #30

When you're on the roads in good condition, speed is similar to the lower 48 secondary roads. When you're in the frost heave areas you'll only go normal speeds once. After that you'll slow down for every one. In the construction areas, again, like the lower 48 - sometimes crawling but this gives you more time to enjoy the scenery! It really isn't bad overall. Some folks are just too used to interstate driving and can't stand to go at a slower pace. That's what the whole trip is about. Slow pace and enjoy!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #31

Caravan to Alaska

Hi, we are driving our new RV we bought in the lower 48 back to Alaska. We are now in NC with the new rig. We plan on entering Canada via Montana either the end of May to the beginning of June. We have driven the Alcan 6 times by car. We live in Kenai, Ak & love to fish. A carvan would be fun. If you are interested we can be reached at joyce.minarik@gmail.com
joyceyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #32

Planning on leaving home on June 20th but will make a number of stops before crossing into Canada. Plan on camping in Minot on June 28th. Have to be in Anchorage on July 20th to pick up my fishing partner so I will push hard on the way up to Fairbanks and do the Canada touring thing on the way down.

I have been to Alaska fishing the last 13 years in a row but never drove up. DW has not been back since 1983 and swore she would never go again. Took me 32 years to talk her into it. One of my bucket list items for the MH. Figured it would be good this year with diesel prices down and I need to get this done before I get too old to do it.

Maybe see you along the way. Contact me if you want to coordinate.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 02-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #33

The wife and I will be traveling this year also, we will be leaving Mobile, Al around May 21st and hopefully crossing into Canada around the 29th or 30th of May at Estevan Canada.
papermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #34

A couple of Alaska travel questions

For you that are experienced on this travel. Where are the best places to cross over from the states into Canada. Or, does it even matter?
And...... are you able to take any firearms at all, ie..pistol, shotgun, rifle?

Thanks....
Don
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Any place where there is a Border Crossing Customs Checkpoint.

Absolutely NO firearms. Approved Bear Spray acceptable. Pepper Spray, Mace are NOT.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGott View Post
For you that are experienced on this travel. Where are the best places to cross over from the states into Canada. Or, does it even matter?
And...... are you able to take any firearms at all, ie..pistol, shotgun, rifle?

Thanks....
Don
If you must have your weapons in AK you can ship to a registered gun dealer in AK and pick them up when you arrive. Reverse the process when head back to the lower 48. Don't even try to take them trough Canada. Confiscation is forever.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #37

Last year while there I inquired, absolutely no handguns in Canada. There is a procedure to take long guns but I decided not to bother. The most dangerous part of our trip was in and around Houston our home at that time. Lol.
Susiegeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #38

Thanks

Okay thanks guys. Good luck on the caravaning.
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Xydial: We to are headed to Ak on June 17, leaving from Frederick, MD. with stops in the badlands, Mt. Rushmore and crossing over at Sweetgrass. Hope to see you enroute. Look for the mango tango pearl 2dr Wrangler pushing the Newmar down the road lol.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
two gypsies: can you suggest a route from sweetgrass north and 5-6 hours of driving a day. We have 67 days within which to go up and back before school starts and DW has to start back to work.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post

Can you suggest a route from sweetgrass north and 5-6 hours of driving a day. We have 67 days within which to go up and back before school starts and DW has to start back to work.
You won't find a more scenic beautiful picture taking area than the Canadian Rockies, Banff and Jasper National Parks.

From the Sweetgrass border crossing head north to Calgary and then over to the Canada Route 1 that goes through Banff and Jasper NP's. Once through those parks you will hook up with Canada Route 16 heading West towards Prince George.

From Prince George you have two choices, use the Alaskan Highway or the Cassier Highway. They are both very scenic.

This year I am planning to use the Alaskan Highway north and the Cassier Highway when returning to the lower 48. We have never done it that way as I really like the Cassier in the spring BUT I have always wanted to stop in Hyder Alaska to view the Grizzly's fishing for salmon.

Safe travels.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGott View Post
Okay thanks guys. Good luck on the caravaning.
Ok, just for the record and please check official sources to confirm. Weapons in Canada are basically divided into 3 categories.

Non-Restricted
Restricted
Prohibited

Here is the skinny on what is what.

Non-restricted firearms are ordinary rifles and shotguns, other than those referred to below.
Restricted firearms include:
  • handguns that are not prohibited;
  • semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm;
  • rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm; and
  • firearms restricted by Criminal Code Regulations.
Prohibited firearms include:
  • handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;
  • rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm or their overall length is less than 660 mm;
  • full automatics;
  • converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and
  • firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations.
Basically put, shot guns and hunting rifles can be brought in with the appropriate permit. For the everyday joe after that everything is verboten. Hand Guns, Assault Rifles, Fully Automatic weapons etc. are basically off the menu. There are some exceptions for specific purposes but please check with the proper sources. Unless you are actually hunting, it is probably not necessary for the trip. Have been several times and never ever felt even close to having a need for firearm.