Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Other great resources on planning, besides here and the mentioned Escapees, is the RV Net forums. Sue T Nelson provides some great input, and some wonderful pictures. We also found great info on reading the previous years posts. Follow along on the 2015 postings, and contribute. But you might also get some great ideas by looking at the 2014 posting.
I know the Milepost is updated every year. What about Churches? I heard the Milepost is good for things along the road and Churches for camping locations. But how current are they.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #72

We're also planning on Alaska after 5/31 (grandson graduation). Hopefully day after! 30' Sightseer. Be interested in travel route you're looking at.

BILLY CHRONICLES - TRAVELS WITH DAVE & BETZ | I write to taste life twice … in the moment and in retrospection. (Anais Nin)
New Smyrna, FL
Old 09-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #73

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Were also looking to leave NE. Ohio June 1st or earlier. Our first touristy stop would be Banff / The Glacier Highway and Jasper. Plan to spend 4-6 days here.

Here is my dilemma: After traveling thru Minnesota into North Dakota (on I-94), do I take secondary Route 52 Northwest up into Canada, Or do I continue on I-94 into Montana and risk hitting the mountains and a longer trip overall mileage. Or just take I-90 to I-15 up into Canada....
Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #74

You won't have any big mountains in Montana if you take I-94 to I-90. Hwy 2 from Minnesota is a very pleasant way to go into Montana.

There are so many crossings...just choose depending where you want to travel. Here's a list of the crossings. Note that they all have different hours of operation. We used Sumas, Washington east of Seattle on the way up and returned to Roosville, Montana just west of Glacier on our return. All the crossings went smoothly and fast. Just answer only their questions is a word or two. Don't offer information. Take off your sunglasses, greet them and look them in the eye and you won't have any problems.

One thing I'd recommend is to not do a lot of siteseeing in the lower 48 on your way or you might be worn out before you cross into Canada. There is just so much to see in Canada, the Yukon and Alaska. Upon your return, if you still have energy left then do the lower 48 siteseeing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rder_crossings

Ooops...I just reread your post and you want to hit Banff as your first major stop. Traveling as long as you can in the lower 48 will save you money in fuel prices. Roosville, Montana would be a good crossing for you for Banff. We stopped at Jasper/Banff on our return and that's why we crossed at Roosville.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #75

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Ooops...I just reread your post and you want to hit Banff as your first major stop. Traveling as long as you can in the lower 48 will save you money in fuel prices. Roosville, Montana would be a good crossing for you for Banff. We stopped at Jasper/Banff on our return and that's why we crossed at Roosville.
Yes, all depends on the weather for Jasper/Banff about the first week in June. When the "Gone with the Wynn's" were there this season they said their 2 days there was too short. Also might stop again on the way home in early Sept.

Coming from the east, if I get off I-94 on the eastern side of MT. and go north to route 2, and follow that all the way across the northern edge of MT. to I-15, is that do-able? 50 - 55mph roads?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #76

Yes, that route would work.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #77

Superslif: another route would be to continue to Idaho, to Highway 95 and then go north through Bonner's Ferry and then to Canada. There is a border crossing there that we use. It is only open from 0700-2300hrs, so one needs to plan their time. This route will take you to Radium Hot springs and the you can take the route to Jasper. We travel this route and most always see lots of game and some really good looking country.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote