Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #1

Caravan to Alaska in 2015?

We are interested in joining with two or three other couples to caravan to Alaska in 2015. We have a 36 ft. Winnebago Journey. Retired and flexible. Looked at the commercial caravans but don't really want to spend $10K on that. We enjoy nature, touring local sites, husband enjoys fishing, etc. We live in Florida but could connect anywhere. If you are interested, please let us know.
ljohio46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

Keep me in the loop, me and DW are thinking of going next year too. it may work out, we are very tentative at this point however. We're hoping next year though. email is go4dsnow@gmail.com or pm me. We have all new equipment 40' 5ver and 2015 Chev 3500HD Dually.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

Keep in mind that a long trip like this can be very confining with a group. You might want to stay in an area longer or leave the next day. Everyone will have different interests and campground requirements. Alaska is a very easy trip to do on your own. Everyone is going to the same places and everyone is very helpful, including the locals. You will not be alone. In fact, you'll keep meeting up with the same people place after place.

The roads are all paved except for areas of construction - just like the lower 48. Just drive slow and you'll have no problems with any damage. We didn't have any with our 40' motorhome. We also boondocked a lot in gorgeous places.

Purchase the Milepost for historical information and good maps, Mike and Terri Church's 'Alaskan Camping' book which includes Canada and the Yukon, also, and also the 2/1 TourSaver Coupon Book. Once glacier cruise will pay for the book. That's all you need.

Think serious about it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Sounds good, we may talk and just decide to travel up and back together just in case of problems.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled by ourselves to Ak in 2012 in our 39 ft. class A towing our jeep. You can see our journey on our blog.

RVGR8escape

Take your time and enjoy the majestic scenery and the friendly local people.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #6

RV735
So much great information in your blog. I saved your blog address to our "Favorites" file for the future. Thanks again.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Alaska trip: #1 on my bucket list. And has been for a few years now. Family health issues have prevented us from anything more than a few weeks trip ever now and then. It appears that life changes for older parents is immenent, so next year maybe feasible.
Keep us on your list of prospects.
Right now we have a Newmar Kountry Star 38' gasser, with a Nissan Frontier toad. But I am also watching the market to upgrade our rig.
Email is donbard@att.net
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's definitely on our bucket list. We are trying to decide which to do first -- Alaska or the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #9

What 2 for 1 tour book are you referring to? Entertainment book??
Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

It's called Alaskan Tour Saver Book. It has coupons to tear out. Great deal.....we were able to take two day cruises, museums, paddle wheel tour, helicopter with glacier landing, rafting, fishing, all coupons are buy one, get one free. Super deal. It's $100 and SO worth it. We saved over $1000.
We ordered it before we left home and were able to have an idea of things we wanted to do and costs.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I am leaving for Fairbanks Alaska on May 1st 2015 from the Los Angeles area. I have scheduled stops in Oregon for some service on my coach. A stop in Washington state to visit a friend and then off to the border crossing at Sumas. Once I cross the border I usually take 9-12 days of travel to get to the Alaska Border crossing.

I plan to stay in Fairbanks for two months and then Anchorage for two months. The Rivers Edge RV Park where I plan to stay in Fairbanks won't open until the Friday before Memorial Day so I will have to Boondock at the local Walmart or Sam's Club until they open.

If you want to travel along with me on the way up or on the way back I would be happy to have some traveling companions however I go very early and stay until the second or third week in September before heading for the lower 48.

I plan to travel through Jasper and Banff NP's on the way south and then cross south of Calgary AB.

Not sure if my travel plans coincide with yours but if so let me know.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
We might be interested if it is not to be too confining. i.e. Have a general route and approximate lengths of stays in each area. We might want to leave earlier in the AM than others or maybe sleep late or even sleep in one day. Then have the group hookup again at location further down the road. Not at all interested in paying a caravan to follow their route and their schedule. Certainly not interested in 5 or 6 coaches rolling down the road together for a few thousand miles.
Let us know your approximate dates and the anticipated length of time you would like to be gone.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #13

Probably mid June to mid August. Some posts I read say August/September is better because not so crowded. Haven't really gotten around to tentative agenda/timeline yet but we are very flexible.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

WE may be interested in joining the group also. Just respond to this forum topic and we will see. Taking our first 2 month long trip in 4 weeks leaving Ky and traveling the western states. If this goes well, we are looking to travel to Alaska and/or the north east states next.

Thanks for the invitation.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote