Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
With the kids I would pick Lakewood if you are going during the peak season. Ocean Lakes can be way too crowded especially at night when everyone and I mean everyone is cruising the strip on the golf carts!

I've seen them line up from one end of the park to the other!

2012 Cedar Creek 36B4
2007 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Been there done that!

Have camped at Hilton Head, Charleston and Myrtle Beach.

Hilton Head, not a lot of options. The one you are going to is great, it is a marina and campground just over the bridge to the island. We enjoyed our stay there, but not real big HHI fans. Another barrier island to consider, although somewhat further south is Jekyll Island - lovely "in the woods" campground there at north end of island, and island itself is far less commercial than HHI with beautiful bike trails all around island.

As far a Charleston is concerned, in our opinion the only place to stay is James Island County Park. The campground and park are fantastic. But can be difficult to get in during busy season. They have a very liberal cancellation policy though, which allows cancellation up to day before, so we always get on waiting list. They do follow up and I have rarely been dissapointed. If you have kids they may enjoy the climbing wall and water park, both on the property. Charleston itself, so much to see I do I wouldn't know where to begin. Take some sort of tour - walking or buggy ride. And getting around in town is far easier on bikes than any other form of transportation. We generally park down on the battery and bike around town. Must sees, in my opinion - the straw market, the battery, the park on nort side of town, rainbow row... great restaurants and "watering holes" - do not miss the stuffed hush puppies at Fleet Landing. If you want a great dining experience ask for directions to The Wreck, great local experience, north of town a few miles but worth the trip. My son lives and works in downtown Charleston so much time is spent there!

As far as Myrtle Beach. We prefer Myrtle Beach Travel Park, it is on north end of town and right on ocean. Area is a little less congested than the mega campgrounds on south end of town, i.e. Ocean Lakes, Pirate Land, etc... they are nice to but in very busy congested areas. Sometimes line 2-3 miles long to get into the parks on hwy approaches! Myrtle Beach State Park and or Huntington Beach State park are great alternatives, do not have the amenities of the big parks, and are much more "woodsy" with little hike to beach. Size restrictions apply to, can't tell if you are in Motorhome or TT. Love the state parks for the feel of "camping" like I did as a kid!

PS - I don't know anything about MB in summer - I NEVER go between Memorial day and Labor day!!!! Did that once about 20 years ago, It is kind of crazy. Just like I never go to Disney during school breaks or holidays - to NUTS for us.!

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
Wow! Thanks for all of the great info! Very helpful!

Rockytop77 is offline   Reply With Quote